Page 15 of 498 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Gunn finally tweets: https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status...XbNwDaUEwj_oww
    So. As for the story yesterday in the Hollywood Reporter, some of it is true, some of it is half-true, some of it is not true, & some of it we haven’t decided yet whether it’s true or not
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well that's certainly a response. One of the most very responses I've read.

My takeaway is WW3 might not be completely dead. They're just re-working everything.

This is key:

But, in the end, the drawbacks of that transitional period were dwarfed by the creative possibilities & the opportunity to build upon what has worked in DC so far & to help rectify what has not.
    Okay, so a soft reboot more likely. I can see them keeping some of the actors at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Last week Gunn teases doing Kingdom Come.
    No, he didn't. It's pretty clear that's not what that tweet meant.

This week the word is full reboot.
    That's not the word, that's vague rumormongering in a thinly sourced Hollywood Reporter article.

No one is energized to see a Flash solo now.
    How do you know this? I mean, I never was energized about it, but did you take a poll?

Matt Reeves the Batman was solid.
    Solid? It was an immense success.

But is WB serious about Joker 2 the musical continuing?
    Why on earth wouldn't they be? The first was the most profitable comic-book-based movie ever made and winner of a raft of awards including two Oscars.

Look, my subjective opinion is that both The Batman and Joker are very overrated, but given their success, WB would be crazy not to go ahead with sequels and not to give the filmmakers more or less creative freedom to make them.
    Last edited by Yohei72; 12-08-2022 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    make sure that your actors/producer/actors have ZERO to do with China and their politics (see: BLACK ADAM co-star Pierce Brosnan).
    Yes, please, let's all kiss Xi Jinping's Pooh-Bear ass as hard as possible. Screw that noise.

If anything, I can at least appreciate Gunn speaking publicly about the creative process. You don't often see the head of a movie slate respond to a trade report, even if the purpose was to ultimately do some damage control.

The whole article is alternately vaguely sourced or not at all (just crediting "rumors"). Anyone reading carefully should have known to take it with half a shaker of salt even before Gunn said anything.

The big problem is that you’re asking people to jump in to a new shared universe right as people are starting to get superhero fatigue.
    Where is this assertion about superhero fatigue coming from? I don't see that reflected in box office numbers at all.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/wak...ue-overstated/

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    This is key:

Okay, so a soft reboot more likely. I can see them keeping some of the actors at least.
    But who defines what “works”? Gunn will probably keep all of his own stuff canon but what of the casting and movies he was not involved in? “Rectifying” could mean recasting the entire JL while keeping the side movies like Shazam, Blue Beetle, etc canonized. Margot’s Harley has fared little better than Cavill’s Superman, but because Gunn has a relationship with Margot she’s more likely to stay.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The big 7...is more like the big 2.

WW/Aquaman are only on 2 films and first ever films and still need plenty of focus
    I meant in general. The big 7 aren't much of a draw for me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-08-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Oh boy!

I suppose they might as well reboot the DCEU. Funnily enough, the DCEU has had more offscreen 'reboots' over the past decade than it has had on-screen...technically Black Adam was still in the same continuity as MOS!

The one big disappointment for me here is the possibility of WW3 being canceled. The first movie was great, and I enjoyed WW84 as the tribute to the 70's show and Lester Superman movies that it was. I was looking forward to the third installment since there's a lot they still haven't done with this iteration of the character. Really hope Gal Gadot gets one last hurrah with the lasso!

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Reeves universe seems so much more grounded in reality, but who knows?

Man of Steel came from the idea of having Superman in the Nolan universe at first, if i'm not mistaken.
    Dunno if that was the specific thought they started with, but I think they definitely considered Bale for BvS.

MOS does seem like a very Nolan-esq approach to Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The same way the comics have rebooted a bunch of times and picked what they wanted to keep and what could stay mostly the same. In Crisis they didn't want to blow up the Titans, in Flashpoint they didn't want to undo Batman and Green Lantern after Morrison and Johns well received runs. They've always done this. Also quite frankly, Cavill's Superman's entire story is that he came out to the world and fought Zod, died fighting Doomsday and came back to stop Steppenwolf at some point. It's not like there is much at all tied to him.

Imo the big issues will Batman. You have Affleck who quite frankly started out in a bad spot because Snyder couldn't let go of his DKR fandom and made him an older guy who had all his history behind him, then you have Robert Pattinson who is a young Batman but his universe kinda doesn't mesh well with the DCU. I suppose they will either do a completely new Batman or keep Pattinson but make it so it starts to reference more DCU stuff. Which I guess is fine. Batman Year One clearly was meant to be a gritty start in a universe that was always supposed to include Superman and the rest of the DCU at some point
    Agreed. Superman isn't much of an issue since there isn't a lot of continuity tied to him here. Batman is the real problem. I suppose one way this could work is to retcon the Reeves' movies into being prequels to the rebooted DCEU...though does that mean that Pattison will simultaneously play a younger and older version of his Batman with different tonalities?

How does Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn and the rest of Gunn's Suicide Squad fit into a world where Batman is relatively new?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Didn't Gunn original say that no one knows their plan but now people are already proving that wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Dunno if that was the specific thought they started with, but I think they definitely considered Bale for BvS.

MOS does seem like a very Nolan-esq approach to Superman.
    It's not just Nolan esque, Man of Steel was Nolan's idea, he produced the film, suggested Snyder to direct and had David Goyer to write the script.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Didn't Gunn original say that no one knows their plan but now people are already proving that wrong
    When he said no-one knows their plan I imagine he was mainly talking about Twitter insiders and people like Grace Randolph.

The Hollywood Reporter has much better sources.