Page 494 of 499 FirstFirst ... 394444484490491492493494495496497498 ... LastLast
Results 7,396 to 7,410 of 7471

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I like the logo. Oddly enough I didn't even think of Kingdom Come when I first saw it.
    I think of Strange Visitor.

It's not exactly the same though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    1. There are no "Gunn cultists." His fans don't live and breathe by his work.

2. There is beautiful simplicity in this new logo. It's simply a hopeful version of the Kingdom Come Superman logo.
    To an extent, there definitely are Gunn cultists who think he can do no wrong and really tear into anybody with the gall to think he's not infallible. His fans have brigaded a lot of forums and while they're not as insane as the Snyder cultists, it's pretty obnoxious. I've had my head bitten off just for saying that his stuff isn't any more faithful to the source material than Snyder or that the animal killings in GOTG3 felt like cheap emotional manipulation to me. I literally had someone swear at me when I said I didn't think Yondu was portrayed sympathetically and was confused by everyone being so saddened by his death. So his fans can be just as toxic and unwilling to hear criticism and weirdly devoted as any other crappy fandom.

That said, I like the logo and am hoping for the best for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Don't plenty of the characters have a shield-like shape?

Kryptonian symbols seem very geometrical without embellishment. They don't look like this:

Of course it could just be "artistic interpretation" just like how it's an interpretation of the letter "S", but it doesn't really align with the modern Krypton that's been presented to us the past several decades. Gunn's symbol does seem more in line with the Kryptonian aesthetic to me is all I'm saying.

Isn't it allegedly the crest of the House of El? And not just a random letter? Or in some versions anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Isn't it allegedly the crest of the House of El? And not just a random letter? Or in some versions anyways...
    Yep. Just happens to resemble the "S" of Terran Latin alphabet...or...

*shrugs*
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Yep. Just happens to resemble the "S" of Terran Latin alphabet...or...

*shrugs*
    Oh yeah, is that still a thing...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    To an extent, there definitely are Gunn cultists who think he can do no wrong and really tear into anybody with the gall to think he's not infallible. His fans have brigaded a lot of forums and while they're not as insane as the Snyder cultists, it's pretty obnoxious. I've had my head bitten off just for saying that his stuff isn't any more faithful to the source material than Snyder or that the animal killings in GOTG3 felt like cheap emotional manipulation to me. I literally had someone swear at me when I said I didn't think Yondu was portrayed sympathetically and was confused by everyone being so saddened by his death. So his fans can be just as toxic and unwilling to hear criticism and weirdly devoted as any other crappy fandom.

That said, I like the logo and am hoping for the best for the movie.
    You say Gunn Cultists and talk about people being toxic, but then all you've said is that people disagree with your takes on his movies.

Peacemaker season 2 has started shouting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    You say Gunn Cultists and talk about people being toxic, but then all you've said is that people disagree with your takes on his movies.
    No, I've said people have started swearing at me and insulting me or whatever else. There's a definite cult of personality around him where he can do no wrong and you get attacked if you criticize any aspect of what he's done. It can get pretty ugly. I largely don't interact with forums outside of this one anymore and those guys and the crazy Snyder people are part of the reason. It's not that they disagree. It's that they're fanatical and nuts in their defensiveness of him and attack people. I've seen it happen over and over to people.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 04-14-2024 at 02:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    1. There are no "Gunn cultists." His fans don't live and breathe by his work.

2. There is beautiful simplicity in this new logo. It's simply a hopeful version of the Kingdom Come Superman logo.
    There absolutely are Gunn cultists. People are so desperate for good DC content that many have already declared that Gunn's Superman would be peak because Gunn is supposedly a massive fan of Superman. Anyone who disagrees is branded a Snyder fanboy.

I didn't like Snyderverse at all and I think Gunn is making the exact same mistakes Snyder made, like cramming his movies with too many characters.

People also have 1000 excuses for why Gunn's only commercial success have come on the back of the MCU brand, why he often changes characters so much from the comics that they are basically OCs, and his fascination with evil Superman concept (Brightburn, cancelled plans of Starro-controllled Superman in TSS and rumors of Ultraman in Superman 2025).
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 04-15-2024 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    There absolutely are Gunn cultists. People are so desperate for good DC content that many have already declared that Gunn's Superman would be peak because Gunn is supposedly a massive fan of Superman. Anyone who disagrees is branded a Snyder fanboy.

I didn't like Snyderverse at all and I think Gunn is making the exact same mistakes Snyder made, like cramming his movies with too many characters.

People also have 1000 excuses for why Gunn's only commercial success have come on the back of the MCU brand, why he often changes characters so much from the comics that they are basically OCs, and his fascination with evil Superman concept (Brightburn, cancelled plans of Starro-controllled Superman in TSS and rumors of Ultraman in Superman 2025).
    Let's look at a different example: 20 years ago Gunn wrote the screenplay for the Scooby Doo live action movie. And... the finished movie.... comes across as someone who didn't really understand why people liked the franchise. And... apparently this wasn't what Gunn actually had as his plan A and was the result of being told to fix it by the producers. Since his original idea was even worse.

Yeah, the movies with Scrappy Doo redefined as a villain, and write Shaggy and Scooby as overt po-heads. The take on Velma was also kinda weird.... she doesn't "dress sexy". She IS sexy, but she doesn't "dress sexy". So yeah, I didn't hate any of the casting choices. but the way the characters are written is off and almost like a parody of the original.

So yeah, while I think the end result wasn't terrible.... I don't think Gunn is the reason it was as good as it was. I think it was good in spite of Gunn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post

Why is it every time I hear people say Gunn cultists exists, it just basically comes down to people are excited for his version of Superman and aren't already criticizing the movie?

Because the movie doesn't even have a trailer released yet, but we're supposed to be acting like we already know the plot, themes, pacing and execution of everything?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-16-2024 at 11:34 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    Why is it every time I hear people say Gunn cultists exists, it just basically comes down to people are excited for his version of Superman and aren't already criticizing the movie?

Because the movie doesn't even have a trailer released yet, but we're supposed to be acting like we already know the plot, themes, pacing and execution of everything?
    Gunn has already stuffed the film with like a half a dozen superheroes, most of them are not related to Superman in any way.

It's a legitimate concern that his Superman film is basically a DC Showcase film, meant to satisfy the investors that Gunn has ideas for a full fledged universe. I don't want Superman's "solo" movie to be a launch pad for the Authority, JLI and Supergirl movies.

And yet people refuse to acknowledge this and claim instead that Engineer is some famous Superman villain in the comics or that Metamorpho and Mr. Terrific are supporting characters in Superman stories. That's just straight up nonsense.

Yeah, Gunn's track record is to take an established IP and try to make it what he thinks is cool... and often radically change it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I just pray Gunn's stuff hits because if not those insane Snyder fanboys will be screaming for his return everywhere.