Page 495 of 498 FirstFirst ... 395445485491492493494495496497498 LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,425 of 7465

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Gunn has already stuffed the film with like a half a dozen superheroes, most of them are not related to Superman in any way.

It's a legitimate concern that his Superman film is basically a DC Showcase film, meant to satisfy the investors that Gunn has ideas for a full fledged universe. I don't want Superman's "solo" movie to be a launch pad for the Authority, JLI and Supergirl movies.

And yet people refuse to acknowledge this and claim instead that Engineer is some famous Superman villain in the comics or that Metamorpho and Mr. Terrific are supporting characters in Superman stories. That's just straight up nonsense.
    I think there's still the question of how much a lot of these characters are actually going to do in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's still the question of how much a lot of these characters are actually going to do in the movie.
    True, random cameos really don't mean a whole lot, but for a writer who has plans to do a sequel it's a nice way to seed the idea of using characters.

BANNED

Yeah, I'm honestly not too worried about that aspect. I imagine they'll be fairly small appearances.

Fantastic Member

Even if they each have 3-4 minutes of screentime (bare minimum considering they are all C-Listers and audience will need some exposition about them), then that adds up to like 20 minutes. I would have preferred such time be devoted to actual Superman characters like Bibbo Bibbowski, Emil Hamilton, Maggie Sawyer, and the Daily Planet Staff like Ron, Cat and Steve. Maybe even Morgan Edge.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

20mins is nothing.

This isn't the first SM film. It's not even the second. Including some other heroes isn't a sin

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    20mins is nothing.
    20 minutes is a lot in a movie with 120-150 minutes of screentime. Especially since it will be there to set up future movies so its that much less time spent on Superman and his world.

This isn't the first SM film. It's not even the second. Including some other heroes isn't a sin
    The last good Superman movie was nearly 45 years ago. People who liked those movies are in their 60s and 70s now, they won't be flocking to the theaters this time.

Most young people today have either never seen a Superman movie (or interacted with any Superman media) or their exposure is limited to dark interpretations of Superman like Snyderverse or Injustice.

DC is trying hard to distance itself from the Snyderverse so I don't think they should expect audience to take their pre-conceived notions about that version of Superman into this movie. It should have been a fresh start, a true solo adventure of Superman.

For all intents and purposes, it should have been treated as the first Superman movie, but I guess that was too much to ask for.

Superman has superhero friends. Having a supporting cast of fellow heroes does not mean Superman is being overshadowed in any way. It's not like it's a team up movie. They're supporting characters. I seriously do not understand this complaint
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Incredible Member

Pruitt Taylor-Vince has been cast as Pa Kent in James Gunn’s ‘SUPERMAN’

https://www.thewrap.com/superman-jon...ce-james-gunn/

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Pruitt Taylor-Vince has been cast as Pa Kent in James Gunn’s ‘SUPERMAN’

https://www.thewrap.com/superman-jon...ce-james-gunn/
    That is a very odd choice. Im guessing Ma and Pa Kent wont have a very big role.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    That is a very odd choice. Im guessing Ma and Pa Kent wont have a very big role.
    Pa’s probably going to die given the All-Star influences.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Even if they each have 3-4 minutes of screentime (bare minimum considering they are all C-Listers and audience will need some exposition about them), then that adds up to like 20 minutes. I would have preferred such time be devoted to actual Superman characters like Bibbo Bibbowski, Emil Hamilton, Maggie Sawyer, and the Daily Planet Staff like Ron, Cat and Steve. Maybe even Morgan Edge.
    I would love to see more Superman supporting characters myself, just not assuming having other heroes will instantly overshadow Supes himself.

When there's a dearth of information, a lot of people tend to fill in the blanks with their crappy ideas because most lack imagination. Then they basically react to their own terrible ideas as though that's what we're going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    When there's a dearth of information, a lot of people tend to fill in the blanks with their crappy ideas because most lack imagination. Then they basically react to their own terrible ideas as though that's what we're going to get.
    An evergreen tweet.

BANNED

20 minutes is a lot in a movie with 120-150 minutes of screentime. Especially since it will be there to set up future movies so its that much less time spent on Superman and his world.

The last good Superman movie was nearly 45 years ago. People who liked those movies are in their 60s and 70s now, they won't be flocking to the theaters this time.

Most young people today have either never seen a Superman movie (or interacted with any Superman media) or their exposure is limited to dark interpretations of Superman like Snyderverse or Injustice.

DC is trying hard to distance itself from the Snyderverse so I don't think they should expect audience to take their pre-conceived notions about that version of Superman into this movie. It should have been a fresh start, a true solo adventure of Superman.

For all intents and purposes, it should have been treated as the first Superman movie, but I guess that was too much to ask for.
    I agree with you that it should be treated like its the first Superman movie and I've never been the biggest fan of Gunn (well, maybe back when Slither came out). But there's not much known about these characters and what role they're playing in the story and it feels premature to assume the worst. They might be there in a way that enhances Superman's story. They might be gratuitous and unnecessary. But we barely know anything yet, so it seems premature to be critical about that aspect.

I will say I never expected Guy Gardner to appear in a Superman reboot, but I'm very interested in seeing that character in live action, so I don't hate it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Superman has superhero friends. Having a supporting cast of fellow heroes does not mean Superman is being overshadowed in any way. It's not like it's a team up movie. They're supporting characters. I seriously do not understand this complaint
    I just find it weird that all the characters supposed to be Superman's "friends" in the movie are also conveniently the characters who have movies coming out in the DCU. None of these characters (except Supegirl) have much to do with Superman in the comic books.

The original Avengers movie had 6 superheroes. This movie already has more than that.
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 04-17-2024 at 01:32 AM.