Page 280 of 498 FirstFirst ... 180230270276277278279280281282283284290330380 ... LastLast
Results 4,186 to 4,200 of 7456

Thread: DCU Movies

Extraordinary Member

We got another Juilliard guy as Supes

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Their greed to get Avengers numbers is what led to their ruin in the first place, so it’s an apt comparison. Should’ve parted ways with Snyder after BvS but they wanted JL now so they stuck with him, and that led to everything that followed.
    I would argue they should have parted ways after MOS. I think, though, that DC -- and even Gunn still don't get it. The first Wonder Woman was close, but still a bit off track. Shazam II, and Flashpoint felt bloated (and were both poorly cast, IMHO). It shouldn't be that difficult to make an engaging movie on these characters. Flash could have (and should have) been amazing, but everything they did with the character -- the personalit, the outfit, the actor) was too far off brand. I know Gunn had some success doing that with Guardians, but only comic book fans knew who they were. There are some expectations when the characters have been in other productions.

I hope they scale back and keep future films simple -- at least until they can build up to bigger things organically.

At least Superman comes first this time .

Is the James Gunn DCU Doomed now?
    youtube.com/watch?v=BpOEB0LaSBE
    Last edited by Jabare; 06-27-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I guess it is just a difference of opinion. Obviously the Erza Miller controversies were a detriment, but I don't think they were the primary factor in the movie's failure. I think a general apathy in these characters and movie universe was a bigger factor. The general public just never became invested in it and didn't really care. Also they kind of got beaten to the punch by Marvel and Sony with the whole multiverse stuff.

But when you take a step back and look at the actual movie product did people care about this Flash enough to go see a movie about him? A movie that from the trailers seemed somewhat messy with a Keaton Batman trying to sell 30+ year old nostalgia as the big hook? Or even if some viewers are aware that this Flash movie is meant to conclude this universe of movies to set up the new one, why would they want to go see it when it is ending a universe they already didn't care about? It's like if there was a restaurant you didn't like that was having a going out of business sale. Would you go out of your way to eat somewhere you didn't like because it is on sale? Most probably wouldn't and just go about their day as usual.
    This was the year I officially felt old/ancient and completely out of touch. I was so excited about Keaton returning as Batman and I thought the world would be too but I guess I was wrong. I was excited about Indiana Jones but it looks like that is going to bomb too.

I turned 40 but feel like I’m ready for the nursing home with the pop culture things that excite me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It would be easier to accept the BO bomb of The Flash if it was rotten. But it's still fresh and has a decent rating on IMDB. Too bad the audience couldn't overlook the actor's crimes and sexual orientation.
    I stay away from the social media, but as far as I am aware from the major news outlets, Ezra's sexual orientation has not come into play as a reason for the Flash not doing well. The honest fact is that Ezra is not movie star at all to mainstream audiences. Sure, Ezra was a part of the Fantastic Beast franchise, but not used on the main movie posters to sell the movie. The general public probably only think of Ezra as a person playing the Flash. If they know a little more, then they would know about the crimes. If they know more, then they might know about the LGTBQ side of things. So I think that is a stretch to blame the audience for that as a reason for the movie's failure (in more religiously conservative countries, you may have a point, but is not a reason for the Domestic box office failure).

Imdb scores are not generally a good indicator since even people who haven't seen the movie can rate it (especially in the near term; in the future once all the hype dies down then it may be more accurate). Cinemascore is a more dependable measure since it actually reflects people who saw the movie. The Flash got a B score, which seems good, but is low for what should be a crowd-pleasing blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I stay away from the social media, but as far as I am aware from the major news outlets, Ezra's sexual orientation has not come into play as a reason for the Flash not doing well. The honest fact is that Ezra is not movie star at all to mainstream audiences. Sure, Ezra was a part of the Fantastic Beast franchise, but not used on the main movie posters to sell the movie. The general public probably only think of Ezra as a person playing the Flash. If they know a little more, then they would know about the crimes. If they know more, then they might know about the LGTBQ side of things. So I think that is a stretch to blame the audience for that as a reason for the movie's failure (in more religiously conservative countries, you may have a point, but is not a reason for the Domestic box office failure).

Imdb scores are not generally a good indicator since even people who haven't seen the movie can rate it (especially in the near term; in the future once all the hype dies down then it may be more accurate). Cinemascore is a more dependable measure since it actually reflects people who saw the movie. The Flash got a B score, which seems good, but is low for what should be a crowd-pleasing blockbuster.
    Basically every review of the movie had recap of Ezra’s crimes before they started talking about the actual film. So yes, people do know about Ezra and his issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This was the year I officially felt old/ancient and completely out of touch. I was so excited about Keaton returning as Batman and I thought the world would be too but I guess I was wrong. I was excited about Indiana Jones but it looks like that is going to bomb too.

I turned 40 but feel like I’m ready for the nursing home with the pop culture things that excite me.

I just turned 40 this year too and know exactly what you mean. I know it's an older movie but it's so iconic that I just assumed other people would be excited for it too.

Extraordinary Member

So ppl here are blaming Snyder for the failure of the Flash? How does that theory apply to the 1st Aqua man,WW1,SS and Shazam? Does seem like a silly position imo.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 06-27-2023 at 08:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Nobody knew about those rich dudes either, but now everybody is talking about the Titanic tragedy. My point is, it doesn't matter if Ezra is a "big name" or not because thanks to the media he is now known as a criminal. I'm not sure why some of you are trying so hard to claim his name had nothing to do with the failure of the movie because it did. They couldn't even promote the movie properly because of him.
    Yes. This. Absolutely.

Not to mention that the OTHER stars of the movie couldn’t even promote the movie either because all of the late night talk shows are on hiatus due to the writers strike. Like, if Michael Keaton (one of our most beloved actors in Hollywood) or even Sasha Calle (an “exciting new talent”) had been able to appear on Jimmy Kimmel or Stephen Colbert to promote the movie, it would have probably drummed up excitement.

And keep in mind, I absolutely support the writers strike. But that was also a factor at play here.

The fact is that people on this forum ONLY want to make boogeymen out of the people who were previously steering the ship at DC. And while I definitely had issues with the way it was being run, they still knew how to market a movie. We did get the highest-grossing DC movie of all time under that leadership.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Yes. This. Absolutely.

Not to mention that the OTHER stars of the movie couldn’t even promote the movie either because all of the late night talk shows are on hiatus due to the writers strike. Like, if Michael Keaton (one of our most beloved actors in Hollywood) or even Sasha Calle (an “exciting new talent”) had been able to appear on Jimmy Kimmel or Stephen Colbert to promote the movie, it would have probably drummed up excitement.

And keep in mind, I absolutely support the writers strike. But that was also a factor at play here.

The fact is that people on this forum ONLY want to make boogeymen out of the people who were previously steering the ship at DC. And while I definitely had issues with the way it was being run, they still knew how to market a movie. We did get the highest-grossing DC movie of all time under that leadership.
    Will agree it's really weird .Seeing ppl here trying to absolve everyone involved with the current movie. Of any and all responsibility.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I just turned 40 this year too and know exactly what you mean. I know it's an older movie but it's so iconic that I just assumed other people would be excited for it too.
    At least you guys don't watch baseball and wonder why Roger Clemons is playing first...

*Flash is about to be one of the biggest bombs in box office history*

Quick, let's announce the superman casting right now! Forget about sdcc!

Kinda funny
    Yes. This. Absolutely.

Pretty sure late night tv shows don't get as many views as your comment seems to imply. And if you're talking about the combined effect with online interviews on youtube, that still doesn't amount to a difference in the hundreds of millions.

Flash had a trailer at the superbowl, they put in the work for marketing
    Last edited by Thephantasm; 06-28-2023 at 03:37 AM.

Incredible Member

Yes. This. Absolutely.

Not that many people watch late shows, and of those that do, the demographics are not typically those who buy tickets to superhero movies.
    https://deadline.com/2021/06/late-ni...ar-1234772290/
    It mentions that "Across adults 25-54, The Late Show wins with a 0.5 with 614,000 viewers" and "Meyers also wins the 18-49 demo with a 0.2 and 215,000 viewers".

This is an old article, and current state, the ratings for late shows have dropped off even more. Even if half the viewers who saw Michael Keaton laugh it up with Kimmel decide to watch the movie, that still only results in .... 250k people * $20 ticket = $5 million dollars (it is more likely that 1 in 10 viewers who see it decide to see the movie based on that, so more like $1m dollars).

Certainly, you could push back and say that more people will watch the clips on Youtube and then decide to see the movie. But it is largely unclear how Youtube views translates to actual ticket purchases.

It could have helped, but in no way does 'missing out on promoting the movie' to half a million viewers explain the box office performance.