Page 465 of 497 FirstFirst ... 365415455461462463464465466467468469475 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,975 of 7450

Thread: DCU Movies

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. It's hard to reconcile Gunn's characterization of Superman as "a big galoot who never wants to hurt anyone" with the New 52 Superman or really any of Morrison's takes, since Morrison said that his Superman "wasn't a pacifist. He's a brawler."

I don't know. I just hope they don't overcorrect from the Snyder stuff and make Superman the overly saccharine, simplistic, "naive, old fashioned farm boy" take. Superman should be kind and compassionate, of course, but I think you need him to be intelligent, fiery and tough also. This is a guy who can stare down Batman and Darkseid. He's traveled the world and is a journalist for a major news organization. The "aw shucks" naivete doesn't really fly. I always think he should be more like a Star Trek Captain, you know? Principled, ethical, and smart but with an iron will.
    Unfortunately, Superman doesn't really get to stare down Batman all that much. Mostly he is shown as a spineless weakling who is always scared of offending Batman. But that's what sells for DC.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. It's hard to reconcile Gunn's characterization of Superman as "a big galoot who never wants to hurt anyone" with the New 52 Superman or really any of Morrison's takes, since Morrison said that his Superman "wasn't a pacifist. He's a brawler."

I don't know. I just hope they don't overcorrect from the Snyder stuff and make Superman the overly saccharine, simplistic, "naive, old fashioned farm boy" take. Superman should be kind and compassionate, of course, but I think you need him to be intelligent, fiery and tough also. This is a guy who can stare down Batman and Darkseid. He's traveled the world and is a journalist for a major news organization. The "aw shucks" naivete doesn't really fly. I always think he should be more like a Star Trek Captain, you know? Principled, ethical, and smart but with an iron will.
    Totally agreed. Superman is a well-rounded character and I wish we could see more iterations that included multiple sides of his personality within the same actor.

Astonishing Member

One of the few things I really liked about 'Justice League' was Cavill's dark Superman. I like that Superman is character people trust, but that he can also lean into anger when needed. No one wants him to always be a boy scout. That's something they tried to do with Captain Marvel/Shazam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Unfortunately, Superman doesn't really get to stare down Batman all that much. Mostly he is shown as a spineless weakling who is always scared of offending Batman. But that's what sells for DC.
    Well, as I said, Morrison's version was plenty tough. I liked Waid's depiction of Clark's personality in Birthright. There certainly have been writers that know how to handle Superman in that way. The only recent interactions I've really read with Superman and Batman were in World's Finest, where the two are shown to respect and admire each other.

I've always been a big fan of the Earth 2/Golden Age Superman so, for as much as I love the Donner-esque versions that are kinda "Oh, golly Lois" dorky and sweet, I prefer my Superman with a bit of roughneck in him.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    One of the few things I really liked about 'Justice League' was Cavill's dark Superman. I like that Superman is character people trust, but that he can also lean into anger when needed. No one wants him to always be a boy scout. That's something they tried to do with Captain Marvel/Shazam.
    The problem was they leaned too hard with it for Cavill. They didn't balance it out enough until it was too late.

My issue with Cavill's Superman is that he barely spoke. He had such little dialogue compared to everyone else in both BvS and MoS and he really only says a few lines in ZSJL, I don't remember JL2017 but he couldn't have been that much more chatty in that either. Silent Superman just did not work for me, even with all the stuff I loved about that version of the character.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I really hope we get a cool fortress with some of the classic features. The intergalactic zoo, Kandor, and maybe some robots.

I’m very tired of the sterile crystals.
    The KEY that only Superman can lift!
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I liked this take as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I mean, if Cyborg was your the sole thing tethering you to anything DC live-action, godspeed, but I can't say I relate. I've never liked Cyborg with the League.
    I completely understand your perspective as i've caught up on the *other* divide (Cyborg in JL vs Cyborg as a Titan). Admittedly....i don't really care much either way. I've never been much of a JL fan. If i was forced to choose between Cyborg being on one of the 2 teams i'd choose the Titans as it seems , IMO, Batman overshadows everything he is a part of. I'm not quite sure how Cyborg, a living computer, was written as a 2nd option on the JL with regard to strategy and intelligence but ...writers pulled it off in the past LOL. Hat tip to them. That's a heck of a feat heh.

Ultimately i just wanted a good comic book movie that included Cyborg. That seems to not be in the cards so *shrugs* i'll spend my money on other things. If WB doesn't care ...i don't care.
    Don't complain. Create.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    My issue with Cavill's Superman is that he barely spoke. He had such little dialogue compared to everyone else in both BvS and MoS and he really only says a few lines in ZSJL, I don't remember JL2017 but he couldn't have been that much more chatty in that either. Silent Superman just did not work for me, even with all the stuff I loved about that version of the character.
    I am.the reverse..The guy gives speeches to make your ears bleed.Sheesh! whatever happened to the man of action... heck! I was even questing why the dork(pop culture idea of superman) are in action comics..Then read orginal action comics run of siegel and shuster.Then i got it.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-08-2024 at 04:16 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

My fave Superman is a guy who can and HAS talked villains into renouncing their villainy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Yeah, I felt that way, too. I get that he was supposed to be a bit internal in the first film as he felt alienated from the world and was a bit of a wandering loner, but he was a hard character to connect with in any way. They didn't give Routh enough lines in his movie either, but he was at least given a version of the character that conveyed a lot of warmth, emotion and dorky charm.

I think Cavill could have been a more memorable Superman if they'd given him a more expressive take on the character.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    My fave Superman is a guy who can and HAS talked villains into renouncing their villainy.
    Sure enough that will work Against me.i am the most stubborn rock headed guy. BeCause he will talk me to Death .i wouldn't be a problem no more.But wouldn't that be against his."code"?also,i think you spelled dcau wally west the wrong way."grammy flash said an eye for an eye turns the whole world blind".
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-09-2024 at 05:28 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sure enough that will work Against me.i am the most stubborn rock headed guy. BeCause he will talk me to Death .i wouldn't be a problem no more.But wouldn't that be against his."code"?also,i think you spelled dcau wally west the wrong way."grammy flash said an eye for an eye turns the whole world blind".
    Some versions of Flash are also like this. But it's a thing I loved about New Earth Era Superman. He talked Livewire and Scorch into being heroes(among others)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Honestly, dude, it seems like you're only a fan of the Golden Age version of the character. I love that version, too, but I feel like most of your posts are just about how you only like a very specific version of the character from 80 years ago and hate everything about him since. I mean, my favorite version of Batman is the Michael Keaton movie version, but I'm not on Batman boards every day complaining about how the mainstream Batman sucks and the comics should be tailored to my personal favorite Batman that only existed for a brief window of time.

I'm not sure what the point of these posts are besides to say you pretty much hate Superman except for one version.

And for the record, sometimes talking someone down IS the right thing to do. I'm all for Superman being tough when he needs to be, but violence for the sake of violence isn't really heroic.