Page 490 of 498 FirstFirst ... 390440480486487488489490491492493494 ... LastLast
Results 7,336 to 7,350 of 7465

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Kind of why I'm not at all into the Glenn Powell as Hal idea. Its like they saw him play an arrogant pilot in one movie and thought this means he's the best and only choice for Hal. And the idea is super boring to me, personally.

It's nothing against Powell, either. I loved him in Top Gun. I doubt he wants to only play pilots his whole career either.
    Glen Powell is definitely a top fan casting from a really superficial standpoint, but I think when all is said and done people just want the character to finally be done right. And I've said I have no interest in seeing a gray haired Hal Jordan playing a second fiddle and either having his stories stolen, turned into a bad guy to prop up the "real" main character, or both. The Tomorrowverse did it and that flop speaks for itself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Glen Powell is definitely a top fan casting from a really superficial standpoint, but I think when all is said and done people just want the character to finally be done right. And I've said I have no interest in seeing a gray haired Hal Jordan playing a second fiddle and either having his stories stolen, turned into a bad guy to prop up the "real" main character, or both. The Tomorrowverse did it and that flop speaks for itself.
    I don't want him to be turned into a villain or killed off, but I'm not bothered either way by if he's older or has graying hair. Half the original Avengers were in their 40s in the first movie and I've always enjoyed Hal as a veteran Corps member. I don't have a hang-up about a character being older.

I don't want him to be turned into a villain or killed off, but I'm not bothered either way by if he's older or has graying hair. Half the original Avengers were in their 40s in the first movie and I've always enjoyed Hal as a veteran Corps member. I don't have a hang-up about a character being older.
    I'd say to me age has more to do with perception than anything else. Because of the MCU, Hank Pym will always be known as an old support player and that's not who the character ever was. I guess being an older mentor/father figure is far better than being known as a wifebeater but that's the kind of perception the character has now. With Hal it's trickier because DC often writes young Hal as a frat boy which gives him bad perception as well, but to me making him older means both writing him out soon(er) and/or setting him up for a heel turn for the reasons I mentioned before. After all DC has a rather shameless history when it comes to dumping on Hal to make someone else look good, which they never do to anyone else in order to make Hal look good, so it's not like Hal fans don't have legitimate reasons to be concerned about those possibilities.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-02-2024 at 08:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'd say to me age has more to do with perception than anything else. Because of the MCU, Hank Pym will always be known as an old support player and that's not who the character ever was. I guess being an older mentor/father figure is far better than being known as a wifebeater but that's the kind of perception the character has now. With Hal it's trickier because DC often writes young Hal as a frat boy which gives him bad perception as well, but to me making him older means both writing him out soon(er) and/or setting him up for a heel turn for the reasons I mentioned before. After all DC has a rather shameless history when it comes to dumping on Hal to make someone else look good, which they never do to anyone one else in order to make Hal look good, so it's not like Hal fans don't have legitimate reasons to be concerned about those possibilities.
    I've been a Hal fan since way before Johns. Hal and Ollie were always older guys when I was growing up. Hal was quite clearly intended to be older and more experienced than John, so I just don't really find it bothersome. I doubt Hal will be depicted as a man in his 70s like Pym was. If anything, he'll be middle-aged like Scott Lang and a lot of the main MCU characters have been.

I think the more likely outcome is that Hal's going to be written as the douchey Maverick knockoff DC has been portraying him as since Johns took over. At least gray-haired Hal had some degree of maturity and depth.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

I think the more likely outcome is that Hal's going to be written as the douchey Maverick knockoff DC has been portraying him as since Johns took over. At least gray-haired Hal had some degree of maturity and depth.
    I'd be very happy if he was written like Cooper from Interstellar (x Captain Kirk from TOS/Beyond).

I’m also fine with Hal being older than John. Makes sense. He was Earth’s first GL (barring Alan) so having more experience fits.

I don't mind older Hal, I just don't need him to be greying or come off like...super old to the point where it feels like they're immediately setting to put him out to pasture.

I feel like he should at least not be too far off in age to Superman or whoever they cast as Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Please tell me it has an Omegahedron in it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    I'd be very happy if he was written like Cooper from Interstellar (x Captain Kirk from TOS/Beyond).
    That's not a bad inspiration. Classic Hal was a bit like that earlier, more level-headed version of Kirk. I always saw Hal as a bit of a thrill-seeker and somebody who would disobey orders when he felt it was the right thing to do, as opposed to how some writers have portrayed him as reckless, irresponsible and almost pathologically insubordinate and egotistical. He was definitely hard-headed and confident, but he was mature and decent guy with leadership capabilities who took his responsibilities seriously. I mostly worry about his characterization being more like New 52 Hal or that kind of over-the-top arrogant womanizer type and that's really what makes or break it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    He has high pedigree .

Cruella was god awful but I, Tonya was okay. So this news is 50/50 for me
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Cruella was god awful but I, Tonya was okay. So this news is 50/50 for me
    I liked Cruella especially the costumes, but I think the movie would have been a lot better if they didn't try to humanize and soften a character that represented the opposite. Disney has been trying to rewrite some of their most iconic villains into more sympathetic characters lately, but sometimes people are just bad because they can and that's why they are entertaining. Anyway, if they go with that director, the movie will at least be visually fun to watch.

New Lois looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I’m also fine with Hal being older than John. Makes sense. He was Earth’s first GL (barring Alan) so having more experience fits.
    Same here. I have no issues with it. In fact, I prefer older Hal than younger Hal.