Page 341 of 499 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391441 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 7475

Thread: DCU Movies

Extraordinary Member

BLUE BEETLE (2023)
    Cinemascore B+
    https://www.cinemascore.com/
    Last edited by mace11; 08-18-2023 at 11:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Having the suit doesn't make the character though..They've been homaging action comics #1 cover since ages..Heck! Retconned it to superman gently holding car for no damn reason to saving some kid crossing the street.

I am not gonna see superman smashing the cars of rapists ,corrupt officers and traffic rules violators anytime soon.Cause that would cause outrage and screams of man of murder..injustice this and injustice that blah!blah! Meanwhile,I don't really care if they do king superman even.
    Wow...when did that happen? (The bolded part I mean)

Yeah, it is kinda ironic that the cover of Action Comics # 1, the very first Superman image and one that still remains an iconic part of pop-culture history is at odds with how the vast majority of people, including many hardcore fans, perceive the character.

I mean, he's not just lifting the car...he's smashing it, and criminals are running away terrified. If the next Superman movie were to have a scene replicating that moment, there's a pretty good chance at least one critic (and possibly dozens of people online) will say that this Superman is too 'dark'.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Well, you're not getting that. Gunn has described his Superman as being gentle and kind and not wanting to hurt anybody. My concern is that in trying to get away from Snyder's Superman, they're going to overcorrect and we're going to get "simple farmboy" Clark that's kind of a Pollyanna type, which I always find to be kind of a flanderized depiction of the character.
    Yeah. And as I've mentioned earlier (maybe about 10-15 pages back on this thread by this point), the one concern I have with the likes of Guy Gardner or Hawkgirl appearing in Superman Legacy is that they might get to be the 'badass' heroes as compared to Superman's preachy 'Boy Scout', which is absolutely not what the Man of Steel needs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    BLUE BEETLE (2023)
    Cinemascore B+
    https://www.cinemascore.com/
    Shit. Blue Beetle has no hope now. If audience reception had been good then WOM may have saved the movie. For reference this is the score that all of the other DC movies have gotten this year, and we saw how the legs were for those.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    BLUE BEETLE
    79%
    122 Reviews
    6.40 out of 10
    Update
    BLUE BEETLE TOMATOMETER
    76%
    6.40 out of 10
    165 Reviews

AUDIENCE
    92%
    4.5 out of 5 average rating
    500+ Verified Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Shit. Blue Beetle has no hope now. If audience reception had been good then WOM may have saved the movie. For reference this is the score that all of the other DC movies have gotten this year, and we saw how the legs were for those.
    I was hoping for at least an A- and the audience score plus being certified fresh gave me hope but yeah, it’s over. Between this and bombing in Europe, DC released another stinker and destroyed another characters reputation.

Only saving grace is maybe a breakout in Latin America and good second weekend (since it’s national cinema day next Sunday)
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

If nothing else, it will still be the first film to beat Barbie, fifth weekend and all.

DC can't catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    DC can't catch a break.
    Nope! It’s honestly sad at this point. They’ve released 11 films (12 if you include Super Pets) in the last 5 years and only 3 of them (Aquaman, The Joker, The Batman) made it above 400M world wide, that’s crazy! 75% of their films couldn’t even reach Marvels lowest grossers (Eternals, Black Widow, Shang Chi and Quantumania).

Superhero fatigue is real and DC is feeling it the most
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member

The problem is not only in the brand, mass audience's preferences indeed have changed. They want some huge cinematic events and/or exceptionally good projects like Mario, Guardians, Across the Spider-Verse, Barbie, Oppenheimer. Blue Beetle is good, way better, than Flash, Shazam and Adam, but it's a pretty generic superhero origin everybody have seen dozens of times. People won't go to see this, not in current mindset, where many of them choose to wait for release on streaming, perception of movie experience changed. Even Mission Impossible suffered, because audience simply does not see anything new and prefers to stay at home and wait for the release on streaming.
    Legacy has to be exceptionally good. Brave and Bold has to be exceptionally good. All DCU projects have to be made this way, otherwise they're done, people just wouldn't give a damn.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Unfortunately I had to walk out of BB after 20 mins as I wasn't feeling too well but was really enjoying it up until then, the main actor never seen him before in anything but was very likeable.

I will try and go again sometime during the week so I will support the film twice!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I think this just shows that future superhero movies need to strike some truly original cord with people. But I think that Blue Beetle had the right idea with a smaller scale movie with smaller stakes. Am I correct in assuming that the multi-mega-verse or whatever is not at stake in this? Because honestly I can relate to a quest to save just one person better than the seeming millionth with the world/universe/multiverse at stake.

I think WB should go that way, with smaller stakes, plus try for some unique take on the superhero movie. I don't know what that might be, but I do know what it isn't. It's not villain movies, we have have too many of them. Teams no longer seem to matter. So I don't know.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Unfortunately I had to walk out of BB after 20 mins as I wasn't feeling too well but was really enjoying it up until then, the main actor never seen him before in anything but was very likeable.

I will try and go again sometime during the week so I will support the film twice!
    He's quite good in Cobra Kai. And he was only 16 when he started that show. Lots of upside to him, if he can move on from Blue Beetle.

FWIW, Joker got a B+ too and didn't stop it from becoming a box office juggernaut.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-19-2023 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It's not villain movies, we have have too many of them.
    1. Joker
    2. Venom and Venom 2
    3. BOP kinda?
    4. SS and the sequel TSS
    5. Morbius

I mean it's more than a few, but compared to all the superhero movies in the past decade or so? I don't know if I'd call that "many" much less "too many". Let's be honest it's just Joker, Harley Quinn and friends, Venom, and the also ran Morbius. Not liking them sure, I get, but numbers wise that's not even a eighth of the superhero content we've gotten since X-Men and Spider-Man started this boom.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    1. Joker
    2. Venom and Venom 2
    3. BOP kinda?
    4. SS and the sequel TSS
    5. Morbius

I mean it's more than a few, but compared to all the superhero movies in the past decade or so? I don't know if I'd call that "many" much less "too many". Let's be honest it's just Joker, Harley Quinn and friends, Venom, and the also ran Morbius. Not liking them sure, I get, but numbers wise that's not even a eighth of the superhero content we've gotten since X-Men and Spider-Man started this boom.
    Brightburn, and others such as The Boys, complete that list on sundry media. It's not a new thing.