Page 107 of 499 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 7471

Thread: DCU Movies

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Thanks, Holt. Guess I wasn't listening closely enough to the video. So "Lanterns" is going to be an Earth-based mystery. That's interesting. I guess it plays on the idea that Green Lanterns are space cops, but neither Hal nor John are known to be detectives. The glowing ring that makes wishes come true is hard to square with mysteries.

Wait, shouldn’t the Batman movie have the subtitle “Legacy”?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    Thanks, Holt. Guess I wasn't listening closely enough to the video. So "Lanterns" is going to be an Earth-based mystery. That's interesting. I guess it plays on the idea that Green Lanterns are space cops, but neither Hal nor John are known to be detectives. The glowing ring that makes wishes come true is hard to square with mysteries.
    Despite the name True Detective didn't have much detective work either, it was more of a charactet study.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wait, shouldn’t the Batman movie have the subtitle “Legacy”?
    Would make more sense than Brave & the Bold.
    Which is a great nostalgic name for us comic fans, but I think they lose a lot of marketing potential by not putting Batman (and Robin) in the title.

Astonishing Member

I’m wondering what Gunn/Safran will ultimately do with WW.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    I'm a little confused about that as well. Don't get me wrong, Hal and John-led show sounds awesome, but "a terrestrial-based investigation story"? Mysteries in space would've been very cool, but if it's Earth-based them having the most powerful weapon in the universe that makes shiny light constructs seems like a tonal mismatch.

They probably don't have the budget for decent looking GL show in space so realistic options are: set in space and looks like ****; grounded but looks good; no GL show.

I'm not really sure what to think of all the announcements. My initial reaction is that this universe is going to run into the same problems as the old one. I get not wanting to start with the origin of all the big characters again, but it feels very complicated right out of the gate. A lot of random or unexpected projects and I don't know what the core foundation is that you need to hold all these projects together. Like talking about an Authority movie feels like a big risk when I can't imagine any average viewer has any idea who they. Sure, Superman might be involved but would they really go see it because of that when DC has fumbled the Superman IP for so long? Then it seems like the old Snyder universe might have a fair amount carry over? Or is that them trying to keep a positive light on the remaining DC movies that are about to be released? I don't know. It feels like a mixed bag overall.

I didn't like King's Supergirl story that much, the art was really nice and it was basically just True Grit in space, but is that really a good story to introduce audiences to Supergirl? The GL project feels the strongest and I'm not even a GL fan. It just feels the most straightforward. Using the two most well known Lanterns in Hal and John without bogging down the movie with 4-5 other Earth Lanterns just makes sense.

Now I've wanted to see a proper Batman family in the movies with them using Robin again for ages, and I love Morrison's Batman run, but I don't know if starting with Damian helps. Sure you get to have the possibility of a deep Batman family established out of the gate, but without seeing the history of the family unfold I don't know if it will really carry the same weight. It would be like if Bucky in the Captain America movies just showed up already as Winter Solider and was teaming up with Cap. Without all the history together on camera do people like their dynamic as much? I don't know. Are people just going to be wondering who all these Robins are. Asking things like why is one his son and another one dead? Who is this Nightwing character? He was the first Robin? Why did he quit and have some falling out with Batman? Why is Batgirl in a wheelchair? So Joker shot Batgirl and killed Robin in two separate stories but neither one has anything to do with the first Robin leaving? It's a lot of history. Maybe I'm wrong and it all isn't that complicated and they can make it work by starting late into the timeline.

But I also get that with the Reeves Batman movies with a young Batman they need to really differentiate the main DCU ones from that version. I guess starting with Dick as Robin wouldn't really be enough, so I at least understand the reasoning with starting with Damian. Although what will be funny is that Damian is going to quickly age past what his age is in the comics, or he will start out even older than he has ever been in the comics, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But I also get that with the Reeves Batman movies with a young Batman they need to really differentiate the main DCU ones from that version.
    I think this is the main reason why we are jumping straight to Damian and why the movie is called Brave and the Bold.

I think Gunn's first objective is to start making WBD money. Doesn't matter whether there's a big team up at the end. If the movies and shows do great, it'll lead to more projects.

Gunn wants to avoid Marvel's Phase 4 problem where all the heavy hitters are gone and you're left with heroes barely anyone wants to see.

He's building a world but that won't necessarily have Avengers kind of team up movies.

Good.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 02-01-2023 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I don't really agree outside of dramas. Most of the Disney+ Marvel and Star Wars content has been weak. There won't be as much budget as a film and these shows never feel as "big" as a movie. I'm also much more fond of watching a movie than having a story dragged out unnecessarily for ten episodes. It's a lot more tedious and difficult to keep up with, especially now when we're inundated with endless streaming shows. I haven't been able to keep up with any of it as it is.
    Fair enough. But I've enjoyed almost all the Marvel tv shows (and ... some of the DC shows) because they really get to spend time on character development and I don't find it difficult to keep up with television. (esp with seasons of fewer than 10 episodes)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Cool, they better be talking to Glen Powell and Trevante Rhodes then. Seems like a no-brainer.
    Honestly, I'm glad fans aren't in charge of casting. I generally find their choices to be super on the nose and lacking in imagination. The main thing is, while we know a comic book character, we don't know the story that's being told or how the character is going to be written, (I have to think G&S will actually have a script beforehand, unlike some other projects...) and I imagine casting will be determined by that first and foremost.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-01-2023 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I think Gunn's first objective is to start making WBD money. Doesn't matter whether there's a big team up at the end. If the movies and shows do great, it'll lead to more projects.

Gunn wants to avoid Marvel's Phase 4 problem where all the heavy hitters are gone and you're left with heroes barely anyone wants to see.

He's building a world but that won't necessarily have Avengers kind of team up movies.

Good.
    100% this. If this doesn't occur, there won't be two movies a year, or three, or four. There will be zero. Critical acclaim and fanboy joy means very little to the studios if they aren't making a profit.
    Make money, and we'll see the number of films per year increase.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Honestly, I'm glad fans aren't in charge of casting. I generally find their choices to be super on the nose and lacking in imagination. The main thing is, while we know a comic book character, we don't know the story that's being told or how the character is going to be written, (I have to think G&S will actually have a script beforehand, unlike some other projects...) and I imagine casting will be determined by that first and foremost.
    Heh I know that, it's fun though. It's easy to look at someone like Glen Powell and say he should be Hal Jordan because he played a cocky pilot with a heart of gold. In reality, I think it won't be an obvious choice. Whatever the portrayal of Hal is I think they would likely cast someone who's had no experience in this particular genre or had no similar roles before.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think Glen wont want a third role where he flys planes, especially a series that keeps him away from films.