Page 181 of 497 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 7454

Thread: DCU Movies

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    They should have done more to push this film. They literally just like released two trailers on the internet and that was that. No spots on TV that I saw. No endorsements or brand partnerships. Yeah, I get that the studio is in debt, but like come on...
    I live in one of the largest cities in the nation.

I saw ZERO promotion for that movie outside of what DC Comics had on the comics that came out leading up to it.

Nothing on buses.

No billboards.

No radio ads.

I saw ZERO merchandise in stores.

Black Adam-I saw the figures and shockingly most of them sold-Hawkman more than others.

I saw posters and own to official movie poster I got from a comic con.
    Along with the promo shirts.

I had students ready to fight me for that poster and almost all of them were going to see the movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Sadly it's hard to disagree with this. Unless Mark Waid's Shazam run becomes some runaway success or something like Johns' GL run did, they're most certainly going to shelve Shazam and Black Adam for many years to come.
    And that would be bad business.

Are they going to shelve Cyborg too? Wonder Woman? Probably Jaime Reyes?

No you learn from your mistakes and start over again.

You start over with your books and reintroduce Shazam and Adam.

Do some OGNS and target school kids. Include them in some toy lines.

Find a way to keep them in the public eye.

Marvel pushed out 3 Ant Man films and we clearly see that he's the odd man out in stars in the MCU.
    Antman still got 3 movies. He might be out but he won't be collecting dust like DC tried to do to Cyborg.

You walk into stores guess what you saw Antman (and Wasp) merchandise even when there was no movie.

Marvel never settled on the attitude of "you should KNOW who these guys are and just hand over money."

How many times did we see a DC movie and that was it beyond a toys for the A listers?

Marvel got ripped for giving certain folks books but how much Shazam and Black Adam stuff did we see versus all the GOTG or Antman?

Heck Into SPiderverse 2 will have more including a Spider Punk trade.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And that would be bad business.

Are they going to shelve Cyborg too? Wonder Woman? Probably Jaime Reyes?

No you learn from your mistakes and start over again.

You start over with your books and reintroduce Shazam and Adam.

Do some OGNS and target school kids. Include them in some toy lines.

Find a way to keep them in the public eye.
    Except it just so happens that an appalling studio like WB doesn't operate that way. They don't care about "learning from their mistakes", when they destroy entire character brands they proceed to simply wash their hands off of them. You don't actually think Cyborg would be a Teen Titan again if the JL movie had been successful?

Putting Wonder Woman in the same breath as the rest doesn't really compute. She can afford a big flop, Shazam, Black Adam, Cyborg and Beetle can't.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-25-2023 at 08:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Shazam did so bad that I don’t know if more advertising would have made that huge of a difference. Audiences just had such little interest in this movie that no amount of ad hype was gonna save it. It’s apparently doing terrible overseas too.

Even if WB did a big ad blitz the week before it opened and it increased the box office by $10 million. That still would have been around $14 million less than the first movie’s opening weekend.

Unlike Black Adam, it seems like most fans who watched it have enjoyed Fury of the Gods. So maybe it will have a second life on streaming and more people will discover it down the line.
    I’ve seen far worse films do much better with the proper promotion. So I do think that if there had a bigger marketing campaign, we’d be having a different conversation.

But hey, finding a second life on streaming and digital has actually been enough to save other franchises. That is what happened with Birds of Prey. So maybe that’s why they’re moving it to digital so soon after the theatrical release. So that people can consume it without having to pay the ticket price.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I don’t think we’ll be seeing any Shazam related characters anytime in the future. This film outright bombed! And we saw what WB did to one of their A-list characters when their film bombed (Green Lantern). The Shazam franchise is dead for now
    I wouldn’t be so sure especially since James Gunn and Peter Safran are the ones in charge. James Gunn seems to gravitate toward the lesser known characters and franchises even if they don’t do well at the BO. After all, Gunn’s own Suicide Squad movie pulled in only $169 million and Birds of Prey only made $200 million and it’s been confirmed that we’ll still be seeing all of those characters again in his new universe.

Even Grace Randolph is under the impression that Levi is gonna be sticking around because he wouldn’t be fighting this hard if he already knew he was out.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-25-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I live in one of the largest cities in the nation.

I saw ZERO promotion for that movie outside of what DC Comics had on the comics that came out leading up to it.

Nothing on buses.

No billboards.

No radio ads.

I saw ZERO merchandise in stores.

Black Adam-I saw the figures and shockingly most of them sold-Hawkman more than others.

I saw posters and own to official movie poster I got from a comic con.
    Along with the promo shirts.

I had students ready to fight me for that poster and almost all of them were going to see the movie.
    It’s a bit different for me because I saw billboards and ads for this movie everywhere so I definitely knew it was coming out. But that’s because I live in New York City. They might not have invested in any of that in the mid-sized cities in this country, but Times Square is literally covered in billboards and ads for this movie and there have been ads running in almost every subway stop.

But even if every New Yorker went to go see this film, that still only translates to about $180 million at the box office.

They really needed to invest in more trailers and a bigger online presence. I ONLY saw the announcement of the one trailer and then they didn’t even announce when the second trailer was dropping. Like, the marketing push for this movie left so much to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Which is petty honestly. Marvel pushed out 3 Ant Man films and we clearly see that he's the odd man out in stars in the MCU. GL was shackled with being the start of a cinematic universe.
    None of the Ant-Man films lit the world on fire, but none of them outright flopped until Quantumania. Green Lantern was an outright bomb though, grossing only 220 million on a 200 million budget. I don't know if that justified keeping the Corps in Movie Jail for over a decade, but it cannot be overstated how much of a disaster Green Lantern was at the time, especially when it was supposed to be the last step of a years long push for the property across DC media.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't know, maybe Rock was right to stay away from Shazam. Yeah, Black Adam lost money, but Shazam might become one of the biggest superhero flops. Reports are now in that it had 70% drop for second weekend.
    I imagine this would look like a very different movie if they'd been allowed to use Black Adam.
    Very Harleen inspired. Which is more than I was expecting.

Looks like she's being lead away from a courthouse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    I wouldn’t be so sure especially since James Gunn and Peter Safran are the ones in charge. James Gunn seems to gravitate toward the lesser known characters and franchises even if they don’t do well at the BO. After all, Gunn’s own Suicide Squad movie pulled in only $169 million and Birds of Prey only made $200 million and it’s been confirmed that we’ll still be seeing all of those characters again in his new universe.

Even Grace Randolph is under the impression that Levi is gonna be sticking around because he wouldn’t be fighting this hard if he already knew he was out.
    If anything him fighting so hard is probably because there's a chance he might never get to play the role again now.

(The only BoP character we're probably going to see again is Harley and that's because she's Harley).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If anything him fighting so hard is probably because there's a chance he might never get to play the role again now.

(The only BoP character we're probably going to see again is Harley and that's because she's Harley).
    Yeah, what I'm saying is that he wouldn't be fighting so hard if Gunn/Safran had already told him that he's out. And all I can say is that I truly hope he does get to play this character again because it's so obvious that he loves every second of it and he's been very open about the mental health struggles he was having before starting this role. So, I'm hoping and praying for him.

(But also we're still seeing Waller and Weasel and saw Peacemaker despite TSS having bombed at the bus office too)

While The Suicide Squad didn’t do well at the box office it was still a same day HBO Max release and it came out when the pandemic was in full swing. So I think people should stop holding it up as this great example of a bomb. Definitely not saying it would have been a huge success otherwise because the first movie turned so many people off on the franchise, but still. The numbers are bad but there has to be an asterisk next to it.

Shazam not getting as big of a ad push isn’t the same thing.

Also, how are people avoiding ads for superhero movies?!? I was seeing Shazam FotG ads after almost every YouTube video I watched. Bus, radio, and billboard ads are not the best way to reach people anymore. Every person’s eyes are glued to their phone/computer screens. In the age of the internet you almost have to make an effort to avoid news about this week’s big new movie releases.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-25-2023 at 08:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    While The Suicide Squad didn’t do well at the box office it was still a same day HBO Max release and it came out when the pandemic was in full swing. So I think people should stop holding it up as this great example of a bomb. Definitely not saying it would have been a huge success otherwise because the first movie turned so many people off on the franchise, but still. The numbers are bad but there has to be an asterisk next to it.

Shazam not getting as big of a ad push isn’t the same thing.

Also, how are people avoiding ads for superhero movies?!? I was seeing Shazam FotG ads after almost every YouTube video I watched. Bus, radio, and billboard ads are not the best way to reach people anymore. Every person’s eyes are glued to their phone/computer screens. In the age of the internet you almost have to make an effort to avoid news about this week’s big new movie releases.
    Uh, I did not see any ads for FOTG on YouTube unless I searched for “Shazam trailer”

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Ugh...

"2nd FRI freefall for #ShazamFuryOfTheGods! $2.35M FRI crashing 80% from opening day FRI which included pre-shows. Wknd shd get to only $9M for dismal 2nd wknd tumble of 70%! 10-day #boxoffice cume will end up below $46M. Final may not even reach $65M!"

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/sta...45094889259008

Bah God...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Ugh...

"2nd FRI freefall for #ShazamFuryOfTheGods! $2.35M FRI crashing 80% from opening day FRI which included pre-shows. Wknd shd get to only $9M for dismal 2nd wknd tumble of 70%! 10-day #boxoffice cume will end up below $46M. Final may not even reach $65M!"

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/sta...45094889259008
    What a disaster. To fail so hard with such a small budget...We might be looking at a Catwoman-level flop

I'm surprised that they are ditching the two colored hair and with that the a different color on each side color scheme.