Page 324 of 497 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334374424 ... LastLast
Results 4,846 to 4,860 of 7453

Thread: DCU Movies

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I haven't ignored the flops like Catwoman and Green Lantern. **** films are gonna do **** box office, shared universe or stand alone.

I stand by what I said too, you don't need a shared universe to see other characters. But I get you believe that. But the evidence is faulty af.
    If Catwoman, Constantine, Green Lantern, Steel, Watchmen, Jonah Hex are indeed examples of 'other characters' who *aren't* 'shared universe, then clearly we don't need a shared universe, to see other characters! So basically, the argument disproves itself, by bringing up these flops, which it claims wouldn't even have been made without a shared universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One thing that always puzzled me was that WB gave him the keys to the car after MoS, despite MoS supposedly being a “disappointment”. That move made more sense when I found out that MoS basically made its budget back before it even hit theaters thanks to marketing deals with Sears and IHOP and whatever (remember the MoS military marketing campaign?). I guess tricks like that let studios make more money than just raw numbers would have you believe.
    I was more surprised by Watchmen having amazing home media sales that put it in the green. Wouldn't happen today with that revenue source destroyed by the streaming.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One thing that always puzzled me was that WB gave him the keys to the car after MoS, despite MoS supposedly being a “disappointment”. That move made more sense when I found out that MoS basically made its budget back before it even hit theaters thanks to marketing deals with Sears and IHOP and whatever (remember the MoS military marketing campaign?). I guess tricks like that let studios make more money than just raw numbers would have you believe.
    Any disappointment WB felt towards MoS was blamed on Superman the character, not Snyder. It wasn't until Batman v Superman that they realized they made a mistake. But by then it was too late.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I was more surprised by Watchmen having amazing home media sales that put it in the green. Wouldn't happen today with that revenue source destroyed by the streaming.
    To your point:

https://youtu.be/Jx8F5Imd8A8

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If Catwoman, Constantine, Green Lantern, Steel, Watchmen, Jonah Hex are indeed examples of 'other characters' who *aren't* 'shared universe, then clearly we don't need a shared universe, to see other characters! So basically, the argument disproves itself, by bringing up these flops, which it claims wouldn't even have been made without a shared universe.
    Well then you can expect more DC films like the above, without the shared universe. Good luck with that. I just do not see the point of adapting DC characters and then keeping them all separate and have them never interact with each other… like what is the point?
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Good stories, presumably.

Works for most fiction created since human's gained sapience.

I think this argument is doomed to go in circles because both sides are correct. A well made movie will usually bring in people all by itself without needing to be connected to a shared universe. The Batman for example. But there is no denying the appeal a shared universe has to an audience. People want to feel like they are a part of something big. The Marvel cinematic universe does that. I’ve seen a number of people say they aren’t really into the current crop of Marvel movies but they’re almost compelled to go because they are so invested in the movieverse.

For example, I’m sure Captain Marvel would have made a lot of money because it was the first female led Marvel movie but it made a BILLION dollars because it was released at the height of the big Marvel storyline. It came out in between Infinity War and Endgame and people were fiending for everything Marvel. That’s the magic that WB/DC has been trying to get and of course they’ve been failing miserably.

If a studio has a billion dollar movie like The Joker they can capitalize on that by making a sequel that could make a huge amount of money but what if they made a ton of spin-offs in that same universe? A shared universe could make them a fortune.

Again, Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, etc. has shown the appeal of an expanded universe. Get people so invested in your product so you can keep branching out. Monetarily why wouldn’t that be your goal?
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-01-2023 at 11:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Well then you can expect more DC films like the above, without the shared universe. Good luck with that. I just do not see the point of adapting DC characters and then keeping them all separate and have them never interact with each other… like what is the point?
    If posters actually read DC comics then they know interaction is pretty much inevitable. I really don't see why DC characters shouldn't interact with each other onscreen, same as Marvel.

I’m done with this conversation since it’s going in circles. So I’ll agree to disagree and move on! I trust Gunn a lot more than I trust the old regime that created the DCEU! Gunn knows how to tell a story, create a cohesive narrative and pay attention to details and continuity.

Anyway, it seems like Blue Beetle might not be the disaster most online are saying it’ll be. It basically opened (presales wise) on par with Shazam 2, so reviews will more than likely be the deciding factor on how much further it can go up. It also cost less than Shazam 2 btw… let’s hope for solid reviews!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Shared universe versus standalones have nothing to do with whether a movie is a flop or not - every flop just named has an equivalent flop in the DCEU - Wonder Woman 1984, TSS, BOP, Shazam 2, Black Adam, The Flash. Point is characters were getting movies without the incentive of a shared universe, so the argument is flawed. Sure, they were crappy movies, but so were the ones we got with the shared universe. Real lesson is stand alone or shared universe WB have no damn clue what they're doing. But what's the point, you've made it clear that all you've ever cared about is the possibility of crossover stuff, everything else is a distant eleventh in comparison, so what's the point? Clearly a good superhero movie isn't point enough for you.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-02-2023 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Again, Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, etc. has shown the appeal of an expanded universe. Get people so invested in your product so you can keep branching out. Monetarily why wouldn’t that be your goal?
    Has Star Wars? They axed all the spin offs after Solo failed to meet expectations - so it's prequel trilogy, original trilogy, and sequel trilogy. That's less expanded universe and just sequels and prequels. They gave up on expanding the wider universe outside of the main story.

No I'm not counting the streaming series, and that's a whole other argument.

If they need a shared universe, have a Batman a Superman and a Wonder Woman universes.

They work better without stepping on each other's feet anyway.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Good stories, presumably.

Works for most fiction created since human's gained sapience.
    Bingo.

Shared universe or not, audiences just want a good movie. That's what it all comes down to, particularly these days when the prospect of paying a lot of money to go to a movie theater for the privelege of having stupid people annoy you by being unable to put their phones away for more than 15 minutes.

The biggest problem, which has always been the problem Hollywood has faced, is that making a good film is almost always a miracle. All it takes is one single thing to go wrong and you're left with a film that doesn't work.

Hell, it's more surprising to me that Hollywood has been consistently able to put out movies that are worth seeing given all the obstacles that are in the way of making a good film.

There's never been and there never will be a single approach to making a successful film. Every single time, it's a gamble. It's why the success of the Marvel films for so long was seen as so miraculous. That level of consistency is almost unheard of in Hollywood. It was inevitable that audiences would grow tired of that formula.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Until there isn't a trailer this doesn¡t exist