Page 253 of 499 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,795 of 7475

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Might be under 60 million domestically.

DCEU is a toxic brand man. It’s over, bring on the reboot.
    I'm not even sure if a full reboot can save things at this point.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think a couple of years hiatus and a full reboot will see the DCU do well, the problem is we aren't getting much of a hiatus on the silver screen...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There will be about a year, maybe even longer if the WGA strike keeps going, between Aquaman 2 and Legacy with only Joker 2 coming out in between. Hopefully a long break will give the general public a chance to shake off their superhero fatigue and give Legacy a chance. If it flops well, then we will be back to only Batman getting movies again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Besides the reboot and the fact that the DC brand is toxic, Ezra Miller’s antics and crimes have overshadowed the movie’s hype. IndieWire compared Ezra to Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, a Rolling Stone article from two days ago was titled “Ezra Miller’s Reign of Terror”, and pretty much every reviewer mentions all Ezra’s problems while talking about the movie. They have a film starring one of the least liked people in Hollywood. It’s just too much to overcome.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-15-2023 at 12:32 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

So, I saw Flash last night. Just some general thoughts.

spoilers:
    I'd be shocked if this changes a general audience's opinion of DC films. It's an enjoyable film but I wouldn't say it's a good film.

It's more of a comedy than any DC(E)U project to date but after the mid-point it's a mess. It delivers on the trailer's promise but I doubt in the way that many people going to be completely satisfied with.

I went to see it with a friend and we didn't have a lot to say afterwards, once we'd talked through the weirdness of it. We both watch a lot of films but this just felt kind of off.

It reeked of ambition, there are big ideas, but it completely lacks the skill to pull it all off.

That said, for me it has the greatest cameo in any of these films to date. A reference that we'd all get but 99%+ of the audience will not (but might think is cool). I laughed so hard.

It's not bad exactly, we both had a great time watching it, but at points we were half laughing at it rather than with it and both felt it is a missed opportunity.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by exile001; 06-15-2023 at 12:38 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Might be under 60 million domestically.

DCEU is a toxic brand man. It’s over, bring on the reboot.
    Man this is embarrassing for Warner Bros. But at the same time I think it’s karma for how much they protected someone as problematic as Miller.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

I think I'll reserve my judgement till the movie is actually fully released and enough people have had the chance to watch it before talking performance.

I wouldn't go by what critics say or projections, because frankly, too many people in the entertainment and entertainment journalism business have an agenda in predicting doomsday for DC. That's always been the case (and sadly, in many cases, it's come true as well). In this case, you have the Ezra Miller situation as well. I personally don't think the vast majority of movie-goers in the US and across the globe are going to be thrown into some moral dilemma about watching the film the way critics and journalists expect them to...which is not to say that they may not go to watch the movie simply because they're not interested or are put of by the DCEU brand.

I still think this film has a lot going for it that the likes of Shazam and Black Adam didn't (I don't even think The Suicide Squad and WW'84 are good comparisons because they were pandemic releases). The Flash is a far more recognizable and iconic character, familiar to countless potential viewers owing to the DCAU and the CW show. There's Michael Keaton's return as Batman, which will definitely give the film a healthy bump. I'm probably sure a fair number of people will turn up to see Supergirl on-screen as well, another character who's had some exposure lately thanks to her CW show. And as much as people may whine about yet another multiverse/time-travel story, these things do have their appeal, when done well.

I can see this potentially doing the same numbers as The Batman. Maybe a billion will be hard to crack, but who knows with good word-of-mouth?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Going tonight. Hoping for an enjoyable experience but not much more.

The Flash is currently at 68% on rotten tomatoes. Yikes.

The Little Mermaid has the same score and people seem to like it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think I'll reserve my judgement till the movie is actually fully released and enough people have had the chance to watch it before talking performance.

I wouldn't go by what critics say or projections, because frankly, too many people in the entertainment and entertainment journalism business have an agenda in predicting doomsday for DC. That's always been the case (and sadly, in many cases, it's come true as well). In this case, you have the Ezra Miller situation as well. I personally don't think the vast majority of movie-goers in the US and across the globe are going to be thrown into some moral dilemma about watching the film the way critics and journalists expect them to...which is not to say that they may not go to watch the movie simply because they're not interested or are put of by the DCEU brand.

I still think this film has a lot going for it that the likes of Shazam and Black Adam didn't (I don't even think The Suicide Squad and WW'84 are good comparisons because they were pandemic releases). The Flash is a far more recognizable and iconic character, familiar to countless potential viewers owing to the DCAU and the CW show. There's Michael Keaton's return as Batman, which will definitely give the film a healthy bump. I'm probably sure a fair number of people will turn up to see Supergirl on-screen as well, another character who's had some exposure lately thanks to her CW show. And as much as people may whine about yet another multiverse/time-travel story, these things do have their appeal, when done well.

I can see this potentially doing the same numbers as The Batman. Maybe a billion will be hard to crack, but who knows with good word-of-mouth?
    The projections are based on pre-sales. Unless walk-in numbers are crazy good, it genuinely looks like it will do poorly in the opening weekend. I don't think Keaton's return will do much either tbh. It's just too late. Nostalgia for that would have been best in the early 2000s. The upcoming Indiana Jones movie also looks like it will do poorly in the box office based on pre-sales and that's a much more iconic character than Keaton's Batman so I don't think nostalgia can really save The Flash

BANNED

I'm not going to miss Miller and am entirely fine with a new actor and a new take on Flash, but I thought this was a pretty good movie (a bit messy in places and a little too much comedy but at least most of it was actually funny). So my fear is that this is going to do to the Flash what the Green Lantern film did to that property and we're not going to get another live action Flash any time soon, if ever. I definitely understand the discomfort with watching Miller, but I worry the character of Barry Allen is going down with him, which would really suck.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    The Flash is currently at 68% on rotten tomatoes. Yikes.
    And secret invasion at 65 ! Yikes

The current climate has made rotten tomatoes useless
    We don’t know if it’s the way the film is or people personal feelings
    A good rotten tomatoes score today means you haven offended anybody rather then the film being good

spoilers:
    Ezra's Flash potentially exiled to the Schumacherverse is such a funny ending to their character.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    And secret invasion at 65 ! Yikes

The current climate has made rotten tomatoes useless
    We don’t know if it’s the way the film is or people personal feelings
    A good rotten tomatoes score today means you haven offended anybody rather then the film being good
    Pretty much this.