Page 338 of 497 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348388438 ... LastLast
Results 5,056 to 5,070 of 7450

Thread: DCU Movies

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disagree, on both making the trunks work (you might think they'd work, when I look at them they've never worked - there's a reason non-comic fans have mocked them for decades you know) and on Black Panther being much better than most other MCU films.
    I mean, let's be real. Non-comic fans really don't care about it one way or the other. Rarely, if ever, have I heard anyone be like "I'm not gonna go see that Superman movie because I just cannot stand the sight of his shorts on the outside." If the story looks cool, they're gonna go see it. People still love the Christopher Reeves movies and hold them up as classics and lo and behold, he wore the shorts. I think both sides of this debate really try to make it a bigger thing than it is.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Blue Beetle director clarifies how much input James Gunn had in the final cut

It should feel reassuring that Gunn didn't insert in the film anything like a Clooney cameo or Jaime losing a tooth.

From my knowledge, Blue Beetle's final cut is entirely the same as the film was a year ago, except for one reference of Supergirl being replaced by another Superman reference (Supergirl has no longer an official introduction in the main DCEU or DCU yet to justify a namedrop). A set up for the sequel's storyline is also included (the way it was described to me it kind of reminds in a way the deleted Batfleck mid-credits from The Flash lol).

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I suppose the 'freshness' of the character/concept for general audiences will help. When's the last time we got a DC movie with a 'new' character not derived from any past DC character/franchise on-screen? Okay, Peacemaker on TV, and that show did pretty well. Even Black Adam is derived from Shazam and relied on the JSA and a Superman cameo.

We're getting a character who's never appeared before on-screen as part of the DCEU (or any cinematic DC project) and who's not tied to the larger DCU at the moment. The excitement of discovery may well be a factor in how audiences perceive this.
    Yeah I hadn’t considered that. DC heroes are kind of the archetype superheroes and so ingrained in pop culture. Possibly another reason why Marvel had such massive success was the excitement moviegoers had of discovering characters they had never seen before. This is a somewhat new experience on the DC side.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I hadn’t considered that. DC heroes are kind of the archetype superheroes and so ingrained in pop culture. Possibly another reason why Marvel had such massive success was the excitement moviegoers had of discovering characters they had never seen before. This is a somewhat new experience on the DC side.
    It is why the DCAU worked

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    it's a weird thing. DC has had TV series based on characters for a LONG time. So much so it has become a mainstay of cartoons.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Blue Beetle is getting a lot of positive reviews. Currently it's at 88% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blue_beetle

Hah, Blue Beetle is what they thought the Flash was! Hope it gets good word of mouth, that might save it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Overall very positive reviews! Currently sitting at 87%.

The more mainstream reviewers like Variety, the Hollywood Reporter, and USA Today loved it.

Glad to hear it .

They needed a W. Funny thing is Gunn and co will likely get a lot of credit for this when they really had nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-16-2023 at 12:47 PM.

I hope review’s continue to be favourable. They had a small drop already to 85%.
    On Metacritic the metascore hasn’t been officially shown yet, but when I searched for Blue Beetle in their search bar, it shows a 62 score. Which isn’t too bad considering their grades tend to be lower than RT.

Edit: Reviews are out on Metacritic too:
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/blue-beetle?rref=hp

17 positive, 11 mixed and only 1 negative.

With 60 reviews in the Rotten Tomatoes score is still at 87%.

If it can stay in the 80s after 100 reviews (which is when it should be certified) then it should hopefully attract interest.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but Gunn is coming at it from the basis of being a guy known for making the most outlandish and kooky comic book stuff work, so I don't think it's out the realm of possibility. I feel like Trunks hate has kind of died down recently.

I wish BP was the average for MCU films .
    I agree with you about BP.

But a lot of the reason Gunn has made kooky and outlandish stuff work in his movies is because those movies were kooky and outlandish in tone. They were essentially comedies with a garish, campy aesthetic. It's harder to make that work when you're trying to do a more sincere, straightforward superhero story.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the way it works in his other stuff probably isn't going to be applicable here.