Page 6 of 497 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Whenever they use "Detective Comics Comics" you know they're making fun of them .

So, we're at the point where people are literally just making up different box office formulas for DC films now. Name any other film that has had to make a 3x multiplier for it to have considered to break even? None, its just a standard made up for this film. By this standard Wakanda Forever would have to make 750 million and it hasn't so far.

This is, I think, the death nail for people that deny an anti-DC bias in media.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    lol

Keep in mind, Sony decided to bring Morbius back to theaters because it was trending non-stop. If that wasn't a clear indication that social media contributes absolutely nothing to a movie's box office performance I don't know what is.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    So, we're at the point where people are literally just making up different box office formulas for DC films now. Name any other film that has had to make a 3x multiplier for it to have considered to break even? None, its just a standard made up for this film. By this standard Wakanda Forever would have to make 750 million and it hasn't so far.

Making under $400mil on a $200 budget would always be looked at as a failure for a cbm. There's zero bias.

You want to try to use Wakanda Forever as an example? Lol. A film that has made $733 million at the box office in a shorter time than Black Adam has made under $400mill? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Making under $400mil on a $200 budget would always be looked at as a failure for a cbm. There's zero bias.

You want to try to use Wakanda Forever as an example? Lol. A film that has made $733 million at the box office in a shorter time than Black Adam has made under $400mill? Really?
    I don't think you are interpreting my post in good faith. I never claimed Black Adam wasn't a flop, my argument is that claiming it needs to make 600 million to break even is an egregious inflation as what the actual number should be, which you even tacitly acknowledge by citing the 400 million number. This is a 200 million difference, that matters, why is this 600 million number flooding social media? Because its a bigger number so people can so its a massive flop.

I brought up Wakanda Forever because if you use a 3x multiplier on it, or most other films, it hasn't broken even yet either. This is just simple math.

Where did this $600 million claim start? I always thought the mark a movie needed to cross to be considered profitable was double the budget in order to include marketing cost. Now it’s 3 times the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Flash runs to June 16! Same day as pixars elementals, week after transformers and two weeks after spider-verse with the same multiverse plot getting released first and three weeks before indy 5!

Next summer's going to be packed!

So, flash will have to fight spider-man, pixar and optimus prime opening day and indy 5 two weeks later!

No pressure.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/the-fla...ne-1235190095/
    So The Flash better get rave reviews and have amazing word of mouth or there’s going to be more snarky Twitter posts about yet another DC project losing the studio hundreds of millions.

Even if it’s good there’s still a chance it will get crushed by the insane amount of competition. Not to mention the Ezra Miller problem.

I’m going out on a limb and saying that Shazam is not going to set the world on fire. I like the character and enjoyed the first movie but have very little enthusiasm to see him fight “the gods” and do the wacky superhero hijinx again. If that doesn’t do well at the box office right after the Black Adam disappointment, you then have The Flash in a horrible release window, so things could be looking bad for DC/WB.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-06-2022 at 10:23 AM.

It will make 750M this very week and it will be in theatres for at least two more months.

A film needs to make triple its budget to break even after covering marketing and the earnings made by theatre owners and distributors (unless it had very little or no marketing). This is how all movies work. It's not new just for Black Adam.

I don't think you are interpreting my post in good faith. I never claimed Black Adam wasn't a flop, my argument is that claiming it needs to make 600 million to break even is an egregious inflation as what the actual number should be, which you even tacitly acknowledge by citing the 400 million number. This is a 200 million difference, that matters, why is this 600 million number flooding social media? Because its a bigger number so people can so its a massive flop.

I brought up Wakanda Forever because if you use a 3x multiplier on it, or most other films, it hasn't broken even yet either. This is just simple math.
    Wakanda Forever isnt even done at the box office lol so bringing it up when its alreadt at $733million dollars is a mute point. It makes no sense.

Extraordinary Member

Wakanda Forever isnt even done at the box office lol so bringing it up when its alreadt at $733million dollars is a mute point. It makes no sense.
    But it has likely made most of the money it is going to make with Avatar hitting in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But it has likely made most of the money it is going to make with Avatar hitting in about a week.
    $17mill isn't hard to make by end of year. Itll break even

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It will make 750M this very week and it will be in theatres for at least two more months.

A film needs to make triple its budget to break even after covering marketing and the earnings made by theatre owners and distributors (unless it had very little or no marketing). This is how all movies work. It's not new just for Black Adam.
    It is new because people keep changing the number. First it was 2x then it was 2.5x and now it’s 3x?!! At some point people need to admit they don’t know the break even point. Either way, Black Adam underperformed expectations according to its budget. If it had a Shazam like budget it would have been considered a success and profitable
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Okay, I know people think I'm this rabid DC megafan and me bringing Wakanda Forever was my MCU hatred flaring up, but nothing I said so much as implied Wakanda Forever was a flop or even under performing. Wakanda Forever doesn't need to make 750 million to break even because Black Adam didn't need to make 600 million to break even. That 600 million, 3x multiplier, number is fake news.

Extraordinary Member

$17mill isn't hard to make by end of year. Itll break even
    Yeah, this isn't going to be difficult to say the least. I really doubt Feige is sweating over this even a little.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

It did $100mill more.
    But it came afaik out a week after BoP, showing there will still plenty of people willing to go to the movies at the time.

The first couple of weeks (which is when movies make most of their money) of BoP's run, were not really effected by Corona that much.