Page 87 of 499 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 7480

Thread: DCU Movies

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If Gunn wants to half ass his reboot that’s his business, long as Supes, Battison, SS, and GL are good I’ll just ignore the continuity clusterfuck that may be coming.
    I doubt it'll be a half-assed reboot. Like when Pattinson was announced as the new Batman and people were confused if he was replacing Affleck in the DCEU or whatever, and then Hamada (?) did an interview in 2021 and it was specified that Battinson was Earth-2 and the rest of DC movies were Earth-1. Multiverse.

If the new Superman isn't tied to Reeves/Pattinson's "Earth-2", he'll be on "Earth-0" and the majority of DC projects going forward will be set over there. Peacemaker S2, the Waller spin-offs and what else Gunn wants to keep of the current DCU will still be on Earth-1. Multiverse.

Extraordinary Member

He won’t say he’s done as Aquaman until Aquaman 2 is out, even if he is done. Sometimes actors have to lie as part of the marketing process. Saying he’s done as Aquaman might negatively impact Aquaman’s box office which would be a big no-no, especially right now with WBD scrapping by. Momoa already did just that for the original JL, talking about how great the experience was for him. And no the speculation about him being Lobo is because A. He’s said he loves the character and wants to play him, B. The Hollywood Reporter said he would stop being Arthur and switch to Lobo in their original report about Gunn’s plans which so far has proved true:
    Lad, you DO know the difference between an actual statement of fact and SPECULATION. right?? The Hollywood Reporter literally says IN THE ARTICLE YOU JUST CITED that these are POSSIBLE SCENARIOS. They are actually not pretending to know anything. They even say things like this, again IN the article:

The rest of the DC slate remains in flux, or at least is being kept deep in a pocket of Gunn’s own utility belt but there are several rumors and possible scenarios to consider ahead of next week’s meeting.
    A Warners insider cautions that no plans have been finalized and that Flash remains an unlocked picture.
    But that was before Gunn and Safran began formulating their new (and still in flux) plan.
    Also, in the paragraph you cite, you see the part that says "In one scenario"? Yeah, that phrase means that the writer is POSTULATING about possible scenarios. In other words, they're not actually saying that that's what's gonna happen. Just that that MIGHT be possible.

You do understand that, don't you?

So, again, we're speculating that he'll play Lobo because of what? He stated he loved the character. Um...okay? I also love Lobo. And THR picked up that idea because people were talking about it. Because James Gunn posted a pic of Lobo somewhere. And then people were like "Jason Momoa looks like Lobo." That's pretty much where it came from.

You’ve been adamantly insisting that there was never going to be a reboot no matter how much some people wanted it, first by claiming that Gunn and Safran would not reboot anything because it “didn’t make sense” and “people love these interpretations of the characters” only to be proven wrong with Superman getting completely rebooted, and WW3 being cancelled. At the very least the Trinity are getting a major shakeup. You haven’t even entertained the idea you might be wrong and even now you refuse to entertain the possibility that you’re wrong.
    Yeah, he's rebooting Superman. But at the same time, he's moving forward with season 2 of Peacemaker and has literally said on his own social media that they're "keeping what worked." So, again, we need to WAIT AND SEE what he thinks "worked."

Also, again, how does me saying the below:

Could it all be getting rebooted? Maybe. That is possible...

I don't pretend to know what's going to happen.
    in the post you're literally responding to translate to me "adamantly insisting that there was never going to be a reboot no matter how much some people wanted it"??

It’s going to be really funny if you are (again), because I’m sure you won’t even admit you were. If I’m wrong and Momoa is staying as Aquaman then so be it, I’ve decided not to care about the shared universe anymore. My cope is that I just want a good Superman movie, a good GL show/movie, and if the rest of the shared universe is a mess I’m past caring. Like I said, if Gunn wants to learn the lesson of the New 52 that’s his business, I’ll just stick to the characters I care about and not concern myself with the rest.
    Lol. We get it. YOU want a complete reboot, but again, as evidenced by the fact that it at least looks like Peacemaker is getting its second season and the fact that Gunn has said on his social media that they're "keeping what worked," I'm not so sure that you're gonna get what you want. Is it possible? Yeah, sure. But almost anything is possible at this point because we really don't have anything concrete to go on.

So, again, let's actually wait for confirmation before we jump to conclusions about what will and will not be the future of DC Films.

If Momoa DOES stay as Aquaman, are you gonna just, what, never watch a single DCU film again?

Also, FYI, the fault of the New 52 wasn't about what they kept. It was about what they didn't keep. They threw out the baby with the bathwater, as pretty much anyone who lived through the New 52 will tell you.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-21-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Lad, you DO know the difference between an actual statement of fact and SPECULATION. right?? The Hollywood Reporter literally says IN THE ARTICLE YOU JUST CITED that these are POSSIBLE SCENARIOS. They are actually not pretending to know anything. They even say things like this, again IN the article:

Also, in the paragraph you cite, you see the part that says "In one scenario"? Yeah, that phrase means that the writer is POSTULATING about possible scenarios. In other words, they're not actually saying that that's what's gonna happen. Just that that MIGHT be possible.

You do understand that, don't you?

So, again, we're speculating that he'll play Lobo because of what? He stated he loved the character. Um...okay? I also love Lobo. And THR picked up that idea because people were talking about it. Because James Gunn posted a pic of Lobo somewhere. And then people were like "Jason Momoa looks like Lobo." That's pretty much where it came from.

Yeah, he's rebooting Superman. But at the same time, he's moving forward with season 2 of Peacemaker and has literally said on his own social media that they're "keeping what worked." So, again, we need to WAIT AND SEE what he thinks "worked."

Also, again, how does me saying the below:

in the post you're literally responding to translate to me "adamantly insisting that there was never going to be a reboot no matter how much some people wanted it"??

Lol. We get it. YOU want a complete reboot, but again, as evidenced by the fact that it at least looks like Peacemaker is getting its second season and the fact that Gunn has said on his social media that they're "keeping what worked," I'm not so sure that you're gonna get what you want. So, again, let's actually wait for confirmation of things before we jump to conclusions about what will and will not be the future of DC Films. If Momoa stays as Aquaman, are you gonna just, what, never watch a single DCU film again?

Also, FYI, the fault of the New 52 wasn't about what they kept. It was about what they didn't keep. They threw out the baby with the bathwater, as pretty much anyone who lived through the New 52 will tell you.
    I HATED the New 52, but part of the major issue was keeping some of the past canon.

Batman has only been active 5 years yet had 4 Robin's. GL seemed to acknowledge all of John's run which had events like Blackest Night which crossed over with characters and events that weren't canon in the New 52.

New 52 was a mess behind the scenes and on the page it was a mess due to the issues of canon. Then you had fan backlash for losing characters they read for decades without no proper goodbye.

The DCEU is a different beast given DC already made it a mess. With various interpretations of characters on the big screen and even various versions of films.

IMO the Shazam kids are aging out so release Shazam, Aquaman, and Flash as is and that's it for them.

Release Blue Beetle with no DCEU connections so it can be folded into the new DCU.

Let Reeve do his Batman sequel and release the Joker sequel and then start off new with Gunn's Superman and go forward with a new era of brand cohesion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I doubt Gunn is adapting that story specifically. When he posted that image of All-Star my assumption is he's just looking for good Superman material, to get an idea of how to play the characters/mythos and what kind of tones/themes resonate with readers and, hopefully, the larger general audience. And posting All-Star tells the fans that he's at least aware of what's on the Must-Read list.

If Gunn is actually adapting All-Star then that's a pretty mixed bag. On one hand, it's among the greatest Super stories ever told. On the other, it ends with Clark's death and starting a new DCU with the death of Superman would be a pretty awful way to kick it off, especially when BvS already did it.

Then again who knows? AT&T reportedly saw a lot of adaptation potential in Jon Kent and the other 5G/Future State characters, so maybe we'll see that opinion hold over with the new regime and Gunn's DCU will be built on the legacies. Which I'm not terribly interested in, but at least it'd potentially give us Nightwing and Wally-Flash immediately.

Week and a half left in the month, Gunn's gotta be dropping those announcements soon, and maybe then we'll have an idea of where things are pointed.
    I'm just having fun theorizing. I'm not into another young Clark story and i rather skip Clark for Connor but Gunn could win me over like Reeves did with Batman.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-21-2023 at 08:17 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think i would like to see mamoa aquaman trilogy finish..afterwards i don't care if they do lobo or whatnot
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I HATED the New 52, but part of the major issue was keeping some of the past canon.

Batman has only been active 5 years yet had 4 Robin's. GL seemed to acknowledge all of John's run which had events like Blackest Night which crossed over with characters and events that weren't canon in the New 52.

New 52 was a mess behind the scenes and on the page it was a mess due to the issues of canon. Then you had fan backlash for losing characters they read for decades without no proper goodbye.
    Don't want to detract from the point of this thread, but:

(1) What else were they going to do with Batman and Green Lantern, which were at the time, the two most popular franchises at DC Comics? You think they should have completely rebooted those characters, despite the fact that they're then-status quo was incredibly well-received and the legacy characters around them were also popular with their own fanbases? Yeah, that wasn't gonna happen. And...

(2) Them keeping most of Batman and GL history intact is part of the reason why Batman and GL continued to be the most popular franchises at DC after Flashpoint. In other words, Batman and GL didn't have that New 52 stink on them that other franchises did.

Michael Keaton’s Batman Back in ‘Aquaman 2?’ Jason Momoa Feeling ‘Really F—ing Good’ After James Gunn Meeting

I think the Batman scene could be repurposed as mid or post-credits scene. We can expect at least one after credits scene in all CBM teasing stuff that will never happen.

As with the Superman scene in Flash I’m guessing both Batmen will just be cut.

Lad, you DO know the difference between an actual statement of fact and SPECULATION. right?? The Hollywood Reporter literally says IN THE ARTICLE YOU JUST CITED that these are POSSIBLE SCENARIOS. They are actually not pretending to know anything. They even say things like this, again IN the article
    Sure looks like their “possible scenarios” are what’s happening. Cavill is out, Affleck is out (as an actor anyway), WW3 is cancelled which means Gadot is out, Momoa is already hinting he’s going to be playing other characters (namely Lobo).

Lol. We get it. YOU want a complete reboot, but again, as evidenced by the fact that it at least looks like Peacemaker is getting its second season and the fact that Gunn has said on his social media that they're "keeping what worked," I'm not so sure that you're gonna get what you want. Is it possible? Yeah, sure. But almost anything is possible at this point because we really don't have anything concrete to go on.
    Wrong. I want the JL to get rebooted but I’m a-ok with the Suicide Squad and Shazam continuing as they are. I’ve never been one of the people here complaining that it’s not “fair” for Gunn to keep Peacemaker canon while rebooting everyone else. It will be a mess and that’s Gunn’s problem not mine, but the JL needs to all be on the same page. The JL is the foundation, as long as they are working then you can support the other franchises being more wonky continuity wise.
    No, the problem was that their “reboot” wasn’t actually a reboot because they half assed it. You cannot reboot some characters fully and leave others as they are if the characters are tied together. Batman keeping his continuity doesn’t work because some of his stories are tied up in Superman and WW who rebooted. Blackest Night somehow happened without all the stories that led up to it like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis (important for killing off J’onn), 52, etc? Yeah that doesn’t work, the story could not have happened the way it was told.

(1) What else were they going to do with Batman and Green Lantern, which were at the time, the two most popular franchises at DC Comics? You think they should have completely rebooted those characters, despite the fact that they're then-status quo was incredibly well-received and the legacy characters around them were also popular with their own fanbases? Yeah, that wasn't gonna happen. And...
    Yes. If you’re making the argument they shouldn’t have rebooted, that’s a different argument. But if you are rebooting it has to be across the board. Everyone starts at square one, NONE of the old continuity carries over. Anything less simply doesn’t work, as the New 52 showed.
    (2) Them keeping most of Batman and GL history intact is part of the reason why Batman and GL continued to be the most popular franchises at DC after Flashpoint. In other words, Batman and GL didn't have that New 52 stink on them that other franchises did.
    Aquaman benefitted immensely from the clean reboot he got with New 52. That was lot of peoples introduction to the character and it worked because nothing carried over. You didn’t need to go hunt down some issues from 1980s DC in order to understand what the hell was going on, everyone started at the same place. And you know what? His sales during the New 52 were the bets they’ve ever been, and he wouldn’t have sold that well without a reboot to give people an easy in. Reboots can and do work, they’re not intrinsically bad and no one can say otherwise unless they’re willing to call Post Crisis DC awful too (and that reboot had its fair share of stinkers as well).

If the JL is a continuity mess where Gunn picks and chooses then so be it. I don’t care about the shared universe anymore, I’d certainly LIKE to see it work but all that matters for me now is that the franchises I like work on their own since I don’t know if DC can ever work as part of a whole.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Michael Keaton’s Batman Back in ‘Aquaman 2?’ Jason Momoa Feeling ‘Really F—ing Good’ After James Gunn Meeting

I think the Batman scene could be repurposed as mid or post-credits scene. We can expect at least one after credits scene in all CBM teasing stuff that will never happen.
    He doesn’t confirm or deny anything so we still don’t know if 1, 2, or 0 Batmen are in the movie.

It is interesting that he mentioned the plot of Aquaman 2 dealing with climate change and environmental destruction. Seems fitting for a character like Aquaman who is the protector of the oceans.

Extraordinary Member

Sure looks like their “possible scenarios” are what’s happening. Cavill is out, Affleck is out (as an actor anyway), WW3 is cancelled which means Gadot is out, Momoa is already hinting he’s going to be playing other characters (namely Lobo).
    1) Affleck has BEEN out for a while. He was out before Gunn even got the job. That's why The Batman starred Robert Pattinson instead of him.

2) There's been no announcement on the future of Wonder Woman and Gunn himself actually took to Twitter and directly responded to a fan saying that he's not sure where they "got the idea that they booted Gal."

And 3) Again, nothing Momoa has said actually hints that he's playing Lobo. That is a meaning that some fans have read into what he has said. He also literally said "I’ll always be Aquaman, and there’s a lot of evolution for that. So I’m not going anywhere and it’s very exciting." Again, we don't know what will happen there either.

So, AGAIN, the only thing that you've said that's actually a true fact or has any meaning is the fact that Cavill is out. But that is literally ALL we have. That is ALL that's been confirmed. Everything else you just cited is either not relevant or a conclusion you jumped to. Even if some of what you’re saying ends up true, you are still leaping to conclusions without much evidence to back it up.

Wrong. I want the JL to get rebooted but I’m a-ok with the Suicide Squad and Shazam continuing as they are. I’ve never been one of the people here complaining that it’s not “fair” for Gunn to keep Peacemaker canon while rebooting everyone else. It will be a mess and that’s Gunn’s problem not mine, but the JL needs to all be on the same page. The JL is the foundation, as long as they are working then you can support the other franchises being more wonky continuity wise.
    You mean the Suicide Squad who has directly interacted with the Justice League, including the fact that Momoa guest-starred in Peacemaker as Aquaman?

No, the problem was that their “reboot” wasn’t actually a reboot because they half assed it. You cannot reboot some characters fully and leave others as they are if the characters are tied together. Batman keeping his continuity doesn’t work because some of his stories are tied up in Superman and WW who rebooted. Blackest Night somehow happened without all the stories that led up to it like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis (important for killing off J’onn), 52, etc? Yeah that doesn’t work, the story could not have happened the way it was told.

Yes. If you’re making the argument they shouldn’t have rebooted, that’s a different argument. But if you are rebooting it has to be across the board. Everyone starts at square one, NONE of the old continuity carries over. Anything less simply doesn’t work, as the New 52 showed.
    Yet, there's a reason why Batman and GL continued to be the most popular books throughout the New 52...

Look, Batman was NEVER gonna be rebooted fully because his stuff is POPULAR. The mythos around him is classic. So you don't flush down what works. Simple as that.

Aquaman benefitted immensely from the clean reboot he got with New 52.
    No, Aquaman benefitted from Geoff Johns, who was at the height of his career as a comic-book writer when he took on Aquaman. Also, the "reboot" Aquaman got was largely that he reverted to the origin the character had in the 1940s.

Reboots can and do work, they’re not intrinsically bad and no one can say otherwise unless they’re willing to call Post Crisis DC awful too (and that reboot had its fair share of stinkers as well).
    Crisis was a scalpel compared to the New 52, which was a sledgehammer. The lesson from that is: reboots can actually work better when you retain familiar elements and actually just use the reboot to introduce tweaks. In other words, just retcon and make the reboot not even really seem like a reboot at all.

But, again, even if I personally don't think it's the right move, a reboot of the JL is possible. But at this point, its also equally possible they don't reboot the JL.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-22-2023 at 10:18 PM.

I'm also at the point where I'm fine since Batman has been rebooted already and Superman is getting one soon. My two favorites have removed themselves of the disastrous burden that is the DCEU. It'll suck if other DC properties get dragged down by that unpopular continuity but the two franchises I'm most interested in will avoid that corpse

Astonishing Member

Moreover, DC themselves were a bit muddled about whether the New 52 was a 'reboot' or not. They avoided using the term, and mostly seemed to treat it as the universe being retconned to give some characters new origins, erase some marriages and make everyone younger.

Honestly I do hope Gunn is a bit more clear-headed about his plans continuity-wise, especially since his new universe will also be beginning in the wake of a 'Flashpoint' event. If its a soft-reboot retaining some characters and past continuity, there needs to be a clear plan about which past movies 'count' and which don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    As with the Superman scene in Flash I’m guessing both Batmen will just be cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    He doesn’t confirm or deny anything so we still don’t know if 1, 2, or 0 Batmen are in the movie.

It is interesting that he mentioned the plot of Aquaman 2 dealing with climate change and environmental destruction. Seems fitting for a character like Aquaman who is the protector of the oceans.
    I assume Affleck's scene was the same as Keaton's in case of the movie being released before The Flash. So it's either one or the other that were meant to appear. Plot twist: it's gonna be Bale just to show WBD doesn't care anymore.

Also, the "reboot" Aquaman got was largely that he reverted to the origin the character had in the 1940s.

The 1940s Aquaman was a human and his father, an undersea explorer taught him how to breathe underwater.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-23-2023 at 03:26 PM.