Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Something to consider is how Diana's powers more or less function in the first place. Meaning, is she always "on"?

Like, Superman's powers are generally depicted as always "on" and he needs to hold them back or suppress them to go about his day as Clark Kent without breaking everything. To use Dragon Ball as an imperfect reference, Clark is always at Super Saiyan and needs to actively keep his power level lower.

But is it the same for Diana? What if her "base" is no different than the average Amazon, but when she uses her super-strength or speed, it's akin to flexing a muscle?

I don't know if this has ever been addressed in any comics. And if it has, I'm willing to bet it hasn't been consistent. But it could be relevant in how well known the extent of Diana' s powers were among the Amazons and how she utilized them in the Contest (if at all).

Of course, there's also the first movie's approach where Diana always had powers and strength, but they grew over time and she wasn't even aware of what she was capable of until she started doing it.
    Interesting thought about the power “flex.”

IIRC Perez once stated that his concept for Diana’s powers would grow with her as she matured. So that resonates with the movie and/or is similar to her “unlocking” them at various times.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But back in Wonder Woman #1 in 1942, wasn't Diana the only masked contestant?

From the story when it was reprinted in Secret Origins #3 (July-August 1973):

But no one knew it was Diana.....

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    But no one knew it was Diana.....
    Not even her "best friend"?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Not even her "best friend"?
    No. Not even her mother.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    In the Justice League animated series, New 52, Rebirth, and 2017 Wonder Woman movie, they got rid of Diana winning the tournament to become a emissary to man's world.

Were you ok with this change or the contest was too important to ignore?
    In the original story, other Amazons were interested in leaving the island so the contest had more necessity but that wasn't the case in the JL cartoon and the New 52 JL book where she leaves to help save Earth while the others were more focused on protecting the island.

I haven't made it to the Rebirth issues yet but another commenter mentioned they added the contest (which makes sense since I heard they made Diana debut during WW2)

The 2017 movie also has the other Amazons showing a lack of interest in leaving the island so again no more contest.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I haven't made it to the Rebirth issues yet but another commenter mentioned they added the contest (which makes sense since I heard they made Diana debut during WW2)
    Rebirth is set in modern day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    No. Not even her mother.
    At one point she expected to be recognized despite the mask by Hippolyta though.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    At one point she expected to be recognized despite the mask by Hippolyta though.
    Indeed. In the initial procession past the Queen and her court, Diana moves to the outer edge of women and bends to not be recognized.

However, it was not until Diana was up close and removed her mask that Hippolyta recognized her.

Perhaps Hippolyta has poor vision?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Spectacular Member

What is the point of making her a amazon if none of her abilities are related to It?

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    What is the point of making her a amazon if none of her abilities are related to It?
    What do you define as amazon abilities?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Spectacular Member

Are you asking me what powers do I think should come from her amazon upbringing instead of divine empowerment?

That is a complicated question as her physical capabilities will overshadow her other abilities most of the time but a makeshift answer would be animal communication and extrasensory perception

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Are you asking me what powers do I think should come from her amazon upbringing instead of divine empowerment?

That is a complicated question as her physical capabilities will overshadow her other abilities most of the time but a makeshift answer would be animal communication and extrasensory perception
    You asked whats the point of her being an amazon if none of her abilities are related to it....and the amazons dont really have "abilities"

Her being an Amazon is her upbringing, it has nothing to do with her powers. Their ideals, way of life, training, all of that is what makes her an Amazon.

Spectacular Member

The Golden Age amazons had powers,I really think Wonder Woman is the type of character who would benefit of the "I got here by my own hard work" narrative and honestly,I could give you a answer on the same vein as yours about why the clay birth is important even If she doesn't get powers from it

(Sorry If I'm derailing the thread)

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The Golden Age amazons had powers,I really think Wonder Woman is the type of character who would benefit of the "I got here by my own hard work" narrative and honestly,I could give you a answer on the same vein as yours about why the clay birth is important even If she doesn't get powers from it

(Sorry If I'm derailing the thread)
    Training gave them superhuman abilities but that doesnt really change Diana being an Amazon. She's already different from them, she was literally sculpted from clay and giving life by the Gods. Diana still has to train as one of them to become the Amazon she is today. She isnt automatically given the role of WW, she doesnt just succeed as WW because of powers. Her hard work is what gets her to that win and surviving as WW.

Worse, in the PreCrisis AND Post Crisis stories they refer to her attributes as Amazon this or Amazon that. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if it is just her.