Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are there any Spidey stories you read once and have no desire to return to?

This question came to mind while I was reading through some of my favorite classic stories.

I started to think about some of the stories I've avoided giving another read.

First story that came to mind was "Torment". This is one of those stories that I remember reading and not understanding anything. Well, except the fact that the Lizard was even more violent than usual. Outside of that, I couldn't wait for it to end.

"Maximum Carnage" is another. I liked a lot of it early on, but it became more and more dreadful the longer it continued. Not as bad as Torment, but still.

Read "Sins Past" a few months ago. Funny enough, this was originally one of those stories for me. The last read wasn't all that bad. I really loved the artwork.

Does anyone here have any stories they have no interest in reading again?

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

You mean aside from One More Day/One Moment in Time? Hmm...sigh, I would have to say Revelations, my heart can't take it anymore. I always skip straight over to Spider-Girl or Marvels/Earth/Universe/Paradise X (no MJ except in flashbacks/Spiders Man's illusion, but there are two Maydays for the price of one!) Um...what else? Oh...the whole Mary Jane is dead in a plane crash saga. Blegh. Edit: BND stuff except maybe "Something Can Stop the Juggernaut!"
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-30-2022 at 03:32 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

A lot of BND->Go Down Swinging stories.

Into The Spiderverse. I know everyone raves about it. But I could not wait for it to be over. I do enjoy the Into the Spiderverse One Shots though.

I also did not enjoy Black Cat/Wolverine Claws.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Brand New Day, One More Day, One Moment In Time, Clone Conspiracy, Beyond and the whole Kindred Arc (it drags and its boring after a while).

Astonishing Member

Of course!
    OMD, Clone Conspiracy, OMIT, The Gathering of Five/ The Final Chapter (NOT the classic Lee/Ditko, but the insulting Byrne/Mackie tale that retconned Aunt May’s death), Sins Remembered and Sins Past, the conclusion to the Kindred arc, conclusion to Beyond… to name a few.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Brand New Day, One More Day, One Moment In Time, Clone Conspiracy, Beyond and the whole Kindred Arc (it drags and its boring after a while).
    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Of course!
    OMD, Clone Conspiracy, OMIT, The Gathering of Five/ The Final Chapter (NOT the classic Lee/Ditko, but the insulting Byrne/Mackie tale that retconned Aunt May’s death), Sins Remembered and Sins Past, the conclusion to the Kindred arc, conclusion to Beyond… to name a few.
    In a nutshell, the 21st century has mostly been a hellish ordeal for Spider-Man and his many fans, with some relatively small reprieves here and there, but otherwise . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Sins Past. Not just the worst Spider-Story I ever read but the worst comic story, of all time, for me.
    I haven't bought a new Spider-Issue of any kind since.

Interesting question. I suspect I'll reread some of the mediocre stuff in context. For example, I've been thinking of reading Bronze Age Spider-Man stories in the order in which they came out. So that's include some mediocre Marvel Team-Up stories.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In a nutshell, the 21st century has mostly been a hellish ordeal for Spider-Man and his many fans, with some relatively small reprieves here and there, but otherwise . . .
    Ha! I saw what you did there. But in all seriousness...yeah, it sucks total ass nowadays!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

The Clone Saga, anything with Kraven or his family in it, (unless he is teamed up with much better villains ie: the Sinister Six) most of Dan Slott's run, One More Day, Spider-man: Reign, Claws and Claws 2, stories featuring Cardiac or Typeface...
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Angry

OMD, Sins Past, and the second Spider-Verse story (I detest pseudo-vampire Morlun and his fam).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Most of JMS's run, Spencer's run, Clone Saga stuff... probably stuff i've read but don't actually remember? Idk.

BANNED

Anything between OMD and Spencer. Just terrible stuff.

Mackie's era (except for his Goblin two-parter with Jenkins and Stern helping out)

Part Two of JMS' run, (except Sins Past and Back In Black), circa post-Romita Jr, most of it is just editorial at that point getting Peter from Point A to Point B to justify OMD.

Well's dire run whenever it's finished.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 12-01-2022 at 03:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Anything between OMD and Spencer. Just terrible stuff.

Mackie's era (except for his Goblin two-parter with Jenkins and Stern helping out)

Part Two of JMS' run, (except Sins Past and Back In Black), circa post-Romita Jr, most of it is just editorial at that point getting Peter from Point A to Point B to justify OMD.

Well's dire run whenever it's finished.
    Why do you reread Sins Past?

Generally co-signed about the latter JMS era. Anything from the era of Mike Deodato on pencils is deathly dull (while I don’t like him as much as JRJr it’s nothing against Deodato… the writing just coincidentally fell off around the same time he came on). The run picks up again with Ron Garney for the Civil War unmasking and then Back in Black is great (even though it introduced that dumb notion that the black suit represents Spidey’s dark side). But then of course OMD happens… so just have to dip out before that.