Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Why do you reread Sins Past?
    I just don't think it's that bad, it has nice Peter/MJ moments, I'm also fascinated by Gwen and Norman and believe it makes her more interesting as a character.

Astonishing Member

The Death of Jean DeWolff.
    Sins Past.
    One More Day.
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3.
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4.
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Beyond Corporation.
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Vol. 6.

TDOJDW is overrated. SP is the second worst Spider-Man story ever behind OMD. TASM Vol. 3, 4, TASM: B and TASM Vol. 6 made me drop the book.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 12-01-2022 at 07:22 AM.

BANNED

Sins Past + most of JMS run.
    Clone Saga- all of it
    ASM 900 - awful..

Extraordinary Member

Anything to do with getting Pete and MJ back together or breaking them up. Just pick one and move on, please. I really don't even care which at this point.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Ha! I saw what you did there. But in all seriousness...yeah, it sucks total ass nowadays!
    Yeah . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    The Clone Saga, anything with Kraven or his family in it, (unless he is teamed up with much better villains ie: the Sinister Six) most of Dan Slott's run, One More Day, Spider-man: Reign, Claws and Claws 2, stories featuring Cardiac or Typeface...
    I'll give you most of those, but what do you have against Cardiac, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Why do you reread Sins Past?

Generally co-signed about the latter JMS era. Anything from the era of Mike Deodato on pencils is deathly dull (while I don’t like him as much as JRJr it’s nothing against Deodato… the writing just coincidentally fell off around the same time he came on). The run picks up again with Ron Garney for the Civil War unmasking and then Back in Black is great (even though it introduced that dumb notion that the black suit represents Spidey’s dark side). But then of course OMD happens… so just have to dip out before that.
    I think that dumb notion of Spider-Man's black suit representing or bringing out his darker side was a holdover from 90s TAS where it was established (and then retconned in the comics proper) that the symbiote amplified Peter's darker impulses and emotions and lessened his inhibitions about acting on those impulses and emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    The Death of Jean DeWolff.
    Sins Past.
    One More Day.
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3.
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4.
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Beyond Corporation.
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Vol. 6.

TDOJDW is overrated. SP is the second worst Spider-Man story ever behind OMD. TASM Vol. 3, 4, TASM: B and TASM Vol. 6 made me drop the book.
    Generally agreed, but I do want to hear why you think The Death of Jean DeWolff is overrated.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

It’s hard for me to reread Maximum Carnage, with Peter’s robot parents being there as support characters

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It’s hard for me to reread Maximum Carnage, with Peter’s robot parents being there as support characters
    Same. It gets me out of the story, knowing that the angry at world Richard is a robot is a turn off. Also, the ending is pretty weak.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Same. It gets me out of the story, knowing that the angry at world Richard is a robot is a turn off. Also, the ending is pretty weak.
    I hated that The Vision and the rest of The Avengers only showed up at the very end to haul Cletus' ass back to The Vault or whatever, they should have been there trying to stop Carnage as well.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Fantastic Member

It’s objectively not a very good story, but Maximum Carnage has huge nostalgia points for me, because it’s the first tpb I bought with my own money. So I give it a re-read every now and then, and mostly turn my brain off and enjoy some mostly well-drawn fisticuffs

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I hated that The Vision and the rest of The Avengers only showed up at the very end to haul Cletus' ass back to The Vault or whatever, they should have been there trying to stop Carnage as well.
    Fair points on Maximum Carnage. Kudos for --- if the writers' words can be trusted on this --- trying to push back against the grimdark cynicism creeping into 90s superhero comics, but the execution sadly didn't land as well as it could or should have.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    It’s objectively not a very good story, but Maximum Carnage has huge nostalgia points for me, because it’s the first tpb I bought with my own money. So I give it a re-read every now and then, and mostly turn my brain off and enjoy some mostly well-drawn fisticuffs
    Understandable. I had no idea it was even a comic story since I wasn't reading them back then. I just assumed Maximum Carnage was a video game only.

It was always a story I really wanted to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I just don't think it's that bad, it has nice Peter/MJ moments, I'm also fascinated by Gwen and Norman and believe it makes her more interesting as a character.
    Hard agree--Gwen ickiness aside, it's a lovely mystery plot, a fun challenge for Pete\MJ to overcome (Is the EX back?? Gasp!), and Deo's in great form.

Imho Back in Black is a mid story that coasts on ""Badass"" Peter pummeling Fisk. 2007's~ Garney is not there yet artistically, and the shift from JRJR\Deodato is drastic. Worst looking arc of JMS's run.

You ain't gotta give OMD much, but god damn, Joe Q! Man can draw!

Extraordinary Member

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about Sins Past. Talk about an example of terrible editorial interference. They should've just gone with JMS' original idea that they were Pete and Gwen's kids to begin with. No wonder he bounced shortly after that. I'd rather they never end this mystery of whatever Pete did to piss off MJ this time than return to that.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Pretty much all of Brand New Day (up to Gauntlet) and the Byrne/Mackie reboot era (except Jenkins). Just years of miserable, joyless dreck.

Also, the Wolfman Amazing Spider-man era. I'm just not big on his takes or ideas for Spidey and, outside of a golden few years on Teen Titans/Crisis on Infinite Earths, I don't tend to enjoy his work. Don't hate it, just meh.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Superior Spider-Man is one of those stories where in a vacuum it's a great Doc Ock story, and I'm not surprised it's become become synonymous with his character. When you look at the bigger picture though, like Otto in Peter acting so wildly out of character people just kind of shrugged because "well Peter is a weird dude" and Peter in Otto's mind trying to prevent the life saving surgery to the child because Slott in the moment really needed Otto to have the moral high ground even though that is grossly out of character for Peter.

And then there's the actual gross stuff like Otto carrying out romances in Peter's body.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.