Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Fourth episode was the best one yet.

Really enjoying this show.

I love that we don't know exactly what Willow is capable of at this point; he's clearly learned a lot since the original film but there's a discrepancy between the myth that's sprung up around him and the reality.

Apparently Warwick based his performance on this partially on Mark Hammil's return as Luke in The Last Jedi, a similar thing where the legend and reality don't quite match up, at least by that point. Although Willow is far less grumpy and reluctant than Luke was.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I liked Episode 4 a lot.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Episode 4 was pretty good, nothing major to yank me out of it like the rest of the series has been

Can't remember which episode it was where they rode the horses off the cliff, but they blatantly stole that line from Young Guns 2.

I haven't been impressed so far, but it's entertaining enough to keep watching. The mix of modern speech with fantasy speech isn't doing it for me either.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Kind of wondering when Rool and Franjean are going to show up, and what happened to Cherlindrea. While Raziel's death made sense due to presumably old age, Cherlindrea seemed to be much younger and not human.

Funny thing is she's partly named after Linda Ronstandt, who Lucas was dating at the time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Can't remember which episode it was where they rode the horses off the cliff, but they blatantly stole that line from Young Guns 2.

I haven't been impressed so far, but it's entertaining enough to keep watching. The mix of modern speech with fantasy speech isn't doing it for me either.
    Yea its defiantly a show im having a hard time getting my brain wrapped around. I will say I continue to watch. So that is something.

I've watched part of the latest. There's a lot more modern music mixed in with things now apart from the ending so those who don't like that bit probably won't like it here either, although it kind of fits things.

Turns out the Kael illusion last episode might've been more of an ESB homage than I thought as this episode has some major revelations. It's also got the whole fantasy trope of a initially dangerous-looking group finding it's long-lost princess (Hint, it's not Elora) and making nice with the heroes thing going on, and some more background to Kael other than being a slightly Vaderesque henchman in the original film.

Also the return of the trolls. Kind of wonder if Willow (or possibly Elora) will wind up turning them into a new Ebersisk again.

Also Pollak returns as Rool but it's really just an extended cameo.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-21-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Episode 5 was a huge downgrade for me.

The music during the chase scene was distracting and cringe in a way that none of the anachronistic music has been for me prior.

Willow has a Flamethrower? His best friend fucking died because Willow was worried about conserving his magical strength to help against the possessed Knights...but he had a flamethrower the whole time?

Extremely forced drama with Elora seeming to judge the groom prince for his actions while possessed when she was written earlier as the most sympathetic towards that plight.

Willow and groom get put in a jail cell and it not only happens to have Brownies living in it, but of all places and peoples it happens to be right here that he comes across Rool specifically. Given their limited role in the series and the forthcoming de-escalation of the capture scenario, there was really no reason for the setup to be quite that contrived.

Equally weird is Scorpia getting into a fight with Jade and turns out that not only does the mark she finds identify her as one of their people, but specifically her half-sister.

Willow gets out of prison but finds that everyone is celebrating and was released after the discovering of Jade's ancestry. Except...why were they even still captives at that point. There are a number of ways in which I would have hand-waived this off, but the specifics of a party-dressed Elora popping out of the crowd like "oh hey guys, what up?" pulls me out of the story to wonder why none of them thought to ask for the rest of their party to be released before they started festivities.

Hopefully this ends up being the one misstep episode.

Is it me or are they taking an awful long time to get to where they are going? The sense of urgency seems to pop up only when they decide they need to get their collective asses moving.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

I have been critical of this show. However I have to say after this latest episode I think I am finally getting it. Its not meant to be that serious. Its a silly fantasy adventure and they seem to be having fun. Once I got that this isnt meant to be Lord Of the Rings or something similar I am enjoying it now.

Incredible Member

The group who put an arrow through the old knight and boil people's heads so they can wear them for hats are actually a good bunch and alright to party with. Okay then.
    Sounds perfect.

sooooo unless my eyes deceive me Brownie on the left is wearing a Graphic T Shirt... yeah they actually went lower than the denim outfits. Wow. This was already by far the worst costuming in a series or movie I've ever seen, and somehow it just keeps finding new depths to sink to
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-23-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Ultimate Member

Man, I was just thinking last episode that the one thing I was really glad they'd left out was the annoying frikkin' brownies, and here they are in ep 5. Ugh.

I love fantasy stuff, and did love the movie, but this might actually be worse than the Shannara Chronicles.

OTOH, it made me rewatch Wheel of Time, which I found a new appreciation for.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The group who put an arrow through the old knight and boil people's heads so they can wear them for hats are actually a good bunch and alright to party with. Okay then.
    Yeah, just glossing over his death was a more than a little strange.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!