Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Willow on Disney+

Anybody checking this series out (Not sure where the original thread went)? It's of course a sequel to the sort of "cult classic" 1988 film which was kind of LOTR-lite about a want-to-be sorcerer/farmer who must protect this prophesized baby princess from an evil Queen and her forces, with the help of goofy mercenary Mad Martigan, the Queen's daughter, two tiny men ("Brownies") and a 'good' sorceress who spends most of the most of the film in various animal forms (Her final transformation is an early example of almost seamless CG morphing).

The first film's heavily flawed-it doesn't really explain much of it's world and the conflict it's in and many of the characters come across as a bit shallow. It's got some exciting moments, a great performance from a teen at the time Warwick Davis, and some great effects such as the aforementioned transformation scene and the monster Ebersisk (Which probably won't show up in the show, it's not a natural animal from the realm but pretty much a magically mutated troll-unless Willow botches the spell again.).

The series brings back Warwick of course, Joanne Whalley Kevin Pollak, Rick Overton, and Phil Fondacaro from the first film; Willow's daughter Mims also shows up again but will be played by a different actress-Warwick's own daughter Annabelle. Unfortunately, a lot of the other actors have either died or are in poor health (Kilmer and Marsh in particular; although it's possible a limited appearence is possible).

There's of course a new group including Sorsha and Martigan's daughter, Erin Kellyman (Who was in Falcon & Winter Soldier as well as Solo) Ellie Bamber, Tony Revoluri (The Spider-Man Home Trilogy's Flash Thompson).

Think the series can help build on the flawed foundation of the original movie, which had potential but just kind of fell short.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I am! I saw the original as a kid so I still have fond memories of it.

So far so good, with the exception of the princess character who is coming off completely unlikeable thus far. Overall the show is hitting the right beats so far.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Loving it so far! So far I am enjoying it a lot more than all the other Disney+ original series. As a major fan of the original movie that is no surprise though I guess. Willow and Elora Danan are great so far, and I am hoping we will see more of Willow's daughter in future episodes. My only minor complaint would be the music. Nothing really special, catchy, or epic so far, just boring generic background music with tiny snippets of stuff from the original movie that crop up far too infrequently. Of course that is nothing new in regards to modern movies and shows, and it never ceases to baffle me as to how everyone is seemingly okay with it. I guess it bothers me even more than usual here because the Willow movie has such beautiful and varied music.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I will watch it once it all drops.
    Plenty to watch that is complete(Wednesday, Warrior Nun, Interview with the Vampire) or will be completed soon(Titans S4, Yellowstone S5).

I'll follow the thread for reactions. Loved the original film. I've seen it 4/5 times but not in the last decade.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I really should have seen that reveal in episode one coming, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Everyone still looks a little too clean, which is an issue I've had with just about every fantasy epic since the Lord of the Rings came out, but its a lot of fun despite that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I have enjoyed the two episodes that I have seen, though it seems like a minor league franchise compared to Star Wars or LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I have enjoyed the two episodes that I have seen, though it seems like a minor league franchise compared to Star Wars or LOTR.
    That's because it is. Other than being in the fantasy gebrre, it isn't comparable.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't see anything wrong with that personally.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Loving it so far! So far I am enjoying it a lot more than all the other Disney+ original series. As a major fan of the original movie that is no surprise though I guess. Willow and Elora Danan are great so far, and I am hoping we will see more of Willow's daughter in future episodes. My only minor complaint would be the music. Nothing really special, catchy, or epic so far, just boring generic background music with tiny snippets of stuff from the original movie that crop up far too infrequently. Of course that is nothing new in regards to modern movies and shows, and it never ceases to baffle me as to how everyone is seemingly okay with it. I guess it bothers me even more than usual here because the Willow movie has such beautiful and varied music.
    It’s sadly what I’ve come to expect from James Newton Howard…..who probably just hired a ghost writer…..sad because Horner’s original score was absolutely magical.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I always thought, especially in the 90s, that Willow was the property that should've been the third big franchise from Lucasfilm.
    Glad to see it is finally getting its due.

The end credits for the show remind me of the credits for Britannia. Do they have similar producers?
    Last edited by Witchfan; 12-02-2022 at 11:28 AM.

^^^^^
    Whaaaat someone else watching Britannia on Epix as well!!!

I'm guessing Willow's wife and possibly his son might've been killed by whatever happened to the Newlyn village (Causing them to live underground)-as well as the other Newlyn characters (many played by actors who have passed away) apart from Vokhnar who has come back.

Wonder if the withered crone might be some kind of undead version of Balmorda like Sauron in LOTR or, to use another Lucasfilm example, Palpatine in most of ROS.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-03-2022 at 03:10 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

The end credits for the show remind me of the credits for Britannia. Do they have similar producers?

Yea they used the same Donavan song but sung by someone else. Britannia is a great show. That many dont know about.

Astonishing Member

I like the show. But the young people speak and act way to modern for my fantasy tastes. Im sure they did this for reasons but It sort of takes me out of the story.