Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

^That was sort of true of Madmartigan in the original I think, unless you count his "poem" to Sorsha when he was under the spell. The original movie never really was that 'formal'-the ball/engagement scene is pretty much as close as it has ever gotten to something like Witcher/GOT etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Pretty good third episode, ups the body count a bit (Although still TV-14 friendly) and takes us to another familiar location at the end. The ending song seems a bit more fitting this time....

The Were-rats pretty much are 80's fantasy as it gets, being practical but also a bit iffy too.

We also see some woodswoman who have a slightly more modern appearance than the medievalness of the rest of the series. Then again the show mixing in modern slang is already kind of a thing...

Also Willow's wistfulness about dancing with his wife seems to further confirm she's probably dead.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-07-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Who in the Hell is in charge of costumes for this show cause some of these decisions are just jaw droppingly awful. I mean I can get over the obviously modern carbon fiber arrows with the colored synthetic fletching Princess Kit has(maybe, they still gall me) but now in this episode Elora runs across two women who apparently wandered in off the set of Yellowstone, I was literally wondering if some time travel weirdness was going on in the forest and they might whip out a shotgun or something but nope, just normal people apparently wearing denim jackets with jeans and brimmed frontier hats right out of the late 1800s in this medieval fantasy setting
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-08-2022 at 01:36 AM.

The third episode was better than the first two. Promising show.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I've decided this show is not for me. To be quite honest, the hardest thing for me was the teeny bopper language and acting that took me right out of the world they were trying to establish.

I now think I'm going to retreat back into my hole because while Rings of Power wasn't awful, it wasn't great and I also had a difficult time getting into Wheel of Time. Now Willow... And I'm a little put off to be honest about the current state of these big budget fantasy shows that are all starting to look and feel the same. Just my personal opinion.

If you're enjoying it, I'm happy for you. Please keep on watching!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Who in the Hell is in charge of costumes for this show cause some of these decisions are just jaw droppingly awful. I mean I can get over the obviously modern carbon fiber arrows with the colored synthetic fletching Princess Kit has(maybe, they still gall me) but now in this episode Elora runs across two women who apparently wandered in off the set of Yellowstone, I was literally wondering if some time travel weirdness was going on in the forest and they might whip out a shotgun or something but nope, just normal people apparently wearing denim jackets with jeans and brimmed frontier hats right out of the late 1800s in this medieval fantasy setting
    That scene was just WEIRD. It seemed so out of place and Jarring. I kept waiting for it to be a dream sequence or something. Some other explanation.

Astonishing Member

I'm enjoying this show, aside from how many action scenes take place in near-perfect darkness.

I know this is going against conventional wisdom, but I kind of love how weird and loose and shaggy this show is. It's not one of the "BIG" fantasy franchises, so it doesn't try to perfectly ape what they would do. No painstaking attempts at immersion. No perfectly controlled language for the dialogue. They allow the young characters to speak in more modern language (like Alora Danon saying she'll "kick all your asses"). They can have more anachronistic characters like the woodswomen show up. And if they want, they can have a rock song running over the end credits.

Like I said, it goes against conventional wisdom that says if you do a serious fantasy show, then you have to strive to make every detail fit your made up time period and that if you want to include contemporary stuff in your fantasy show, it has to be either urban fantasy or a winking parody like Galavant. They're just like "We're making a fantasy show that isn't really super serious but isn't totally a comedy and we're not going to get bogged down in the details".

I think this is the best live action Disney+ show. I like it better than all of the Marvel shows and I like it more than Andor because of its whimsical tone.

Niffleheim

The little I saw was just too CW for my taste to want to continue watching and this is coming from a person who thought Andor was a masterpiece and majority of Marvel output have been more tolerable than this.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm enjoying this show, aside from how many action scenes take place in near-perfect darkness.

I know this is going against conventional wisdom, but I kind of love how weird and loose and shaggy this show is. It's not one of the "BIG" fantasy franchises, so it doesn't try to perfectly ape what they would do. No painstaking attempts at immersion. No perfectly controlled language for the dialogue. They allow the young characters to speak in more modern language (like Alora Danon saying she'll "kick all your asses"). They can have more anachronistic characters like the woodswomen show up. And if they want, they can have a rock song running over the end credits.

Like I said, it goes against conventional wisdom that says if you do a serious fantasy show, then you have to strive to make every detail fit your made up time period and that if you want to include contemporary stuff in your fantasy show, it has to be either urban fantasy or a winking parody like Galavant. They're just like "We're making a fantasy show that isn't really super serious but isn't totally a comedy and we're not going to get bogged down in the details".

I think part of it works because Willow didn't really have much of a complex lore to start with. It's a simple story that doesn't really have much worldbuilding, although I'm told the novel goes into a bit more detail (Like how Bavmorda basically came to power-marrying a good king who she betrayed and he was turned into one of the frozen people in Tir Ansleem-this also gives more motivation for Sorsha to switch sides apart from falling in love with Madmartigan)

Overall I'm enjoying it. Many of the criticisms being brought up are fair and I agree with. Overall though it's enjoyable and I will stick with it.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

It's a fun, not great show, so far. But then again, the movie was a fun, not great, movie. Yes, Kit is annoying and Elora going off on her own one to many times is getting tired. But the actors are good and the characters mostly likeable. And outside of having the fight in ep 3 way to darkly lit, the action has been good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I thought the first two episodes were just "ok" but still enjoyable enough. I ended up liking Episode 3 a lot more. It's decent enough to keep watching. Sure it has some issues which have been addressed here and ad nauseum all over the Net but the show keeps me entertained so far.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Latest episode dealt with the haunted castle/exorcism, but was also heavy on flashbacks/visions from the original movie. Also a familiar foe (not using stock footage) appears in an ESB tree/cave like vision.

There's some added lore, apparently the Crone is actually Balmorda's master, with Balmorda merely being the apprentice (converted during a kidnapping by her cult) and them both serving some kind of higher evil, or organization (Kind of like SW's Sith?) called the Order of the Wyrm.

Astonishing Member

This is another show I am having a hard time with. There is potential here. But they keep dumping all this lore and the editing is all over the place. I honestly cant figure out wtf is going on most of the time.