Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I like Historical Fiction and Britannia has that plus the Governor actor from TWD as the lead. I do see where the parallels are in places.
    Unrelated tangent, I just started The Serpent Queen and that has Alpha of The Whispers from TWD as the lead playing Catherine DeMedici, mother of three prominent French Kings. Wiki her if you need to.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I had avoided Britannia after not liking the first trailer, but after seeing people talk about it on the first page of this thread I thought I’d put it on in the background while I did other stuff. I binged the whole show in about three days, and I’m now going back to watch it more closely. Its mix of violence and wacky humour should kill the show dead, but it doesn’t, at least not for me. Divis and Cait are always great together (and I love his obsession with Big Pebble), and who knew Mackenzie Crook was such a good dramatic actor? I hope it gets a season 4.

In comparison to Willow, I think Britannia does do a lot of the same things, but it just does them better. I think Britannia being its own thing rather than a sequel to something that already had a fan-base helps a lot, because a lot of the dislike I’ve seen on the net has been coming from people who loved the original film and wanted some serious world-building. Willow also has a bunch of characters that don’t seem to have much chemistry with each other (except for Boorman, who is entertaining no matter who he’s with), which seems like something the writers should have thought more about.

That said, I have been enjoying Willow as lightweight entertainment, it having received such scathing reviews from Willow fans on the net having helped lower my expectations. I’m not sure I could be tempted to sit through an episode twice, but I kind of miss not having a new episode to watch today. I’m sure if it gets a new season they’ll take at least some of the criticisms under consideration.

Yea it really is an under talked about gem of a show. Probably some of it has to do with how it has been distributed. The writers are brilliant they somehow manage to skate that fine line between insanity and genius. I have heard a 4th season is filmed but has not come out yet. With Willow I automatically saw the similarities. Now it cant be Britannia ,because of how violent Britannia is and the very interesting religious subtext of it. But the cues, and how they use modern music and even some of the silliness is very similar. So you can see that the writers of this have watched it. My wife and I said if Britannia had been released on Netflix or HBO max it would be huge.

Second season has been cancelled.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I just saw that at lunch while scrolling FB.

The show was decent and I found it largely entertaining. It did take too long to develop and only got really interesting in the last two episodes. From that though I was optimistic that S2 would hit the ground running. Having what looked to be a "promise" to tell a 3 season story in the concluding moments of S1 credits is now not going to happen.

Bummer.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I was undecided about watching the 2nd season. Now I don't have to decide. Thank you Disney for taking care of that for me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Second season has been cancelled.
    Not terribly surprised. I really wanted to love this but it wasn't what I was looking for.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Wish this would have been better. The last 2 episodes especially were pretty bad. I would have loved a Val Kilmer cameo... somehow. Warwick Davis barely had anything to do. I liked the young actors more than I expected but it felt extremely padded at times. Is this based on the 3 novels from the nineties?

Madmartigan did have a voice cameo although it was Val's son.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

One of the writers had a few things to say over on Twitter about Disney+ pulling the show from the streamer. Article Link
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

How much money do they save taking down a show that is already made? I don't get it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How much money do they save taking down a show that is already made? I don't get it.

I think I read somewhere if you are not showing it you dont have to pay residuals

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I think I read somewhere if you are not showing it you dont have to pay residuals
    Yeah, it's likely the writers and such had a better contract regarding earnings than some other projects which gives the mouse incentive to "save" money
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, it's likely the writers and such had a better contract regarding earnings than some other projects which gives the mouse incentive to "save" money
    The spend something like $25 million an episode on shows like Moon Knight or She Hulk. Is saving a few pennies on royalties really going to stop them from going bankrupt?
    Mind you, you might also lose a few subscribers along the way when you take away content.