Page 1003 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 350390395399399910001001100210031004100510061007101310531103 ... LastLast
Results 15,031 to 15,045 of 17378
    Spectacular Member

Only copy of Conquest in alibris.co.uk is 200 euros. Weird.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by awalk1227 View Post
    Keep hearing awesome things about the Siege event and I want to get it in collected form. Should I save some money and go for the TPB/standard HC that just has the event and the extra issue, or go for the 376 page OHC? InStockTrades has it in stock, but I can't find anywhere what it collects. Book in question here:

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marv...E-HC/JUL110719
    This is the one Event OHC I do not own. On one hand, the Seige action really did pervade through all the other titles! On the other, if I'm remembering correctly, Seige itself is pretty much just an output of Thor and Dark Avengers, so you don't need all the sideline fights to give it context.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    Amazon.com, fr, de & IST all have it in stock. The only weird point is that amazon uk has it "on preorder" and the prices here in europe are mostly around at least 100€+ (shipped). There are definitely some signs that we might have a situation in a few weeks but I would not (yet) press the panic button. It's quite amazing that all the cosmic stuff sells out so quickly. Marvels publishing department should adjust the printing runs (Maybe they've already done it, let's wait a bit and see what will really happen).
    Just to add some further speculation, CGN now has it only at 28% off as of right now. They could be waiting on a new shipment however.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Return Of The Winter Soldier was my last Marvel omnibus. Really enjoyed it, but Brubaker seemed ready to move on by this point. Seemed like all the story he wanted to tell was up to the events of Fear Itself. The Winter Soldier issues were much better than the Cap issues.
    It really did kind of peter out.

Keep hearing awesome things about the Siege event and I want to get it in collected form. Should I save some money and go for the TPB/standard HC that just has the event and the extra issue, or go for the 376 page OHC? InStockTrades has it in stock, but I can't find anywhere what it collects. Book in question here:

Get the OHC. Siege was a great event, but I believe the OHC collects some of the Avengers stuff that fills in. I'm not saying you need it, but they are good stories. I don't care what people say about Bendis (and I've been critical of him, even though I like most of his stuff), he upped his freaking game for Siege. This was the final smack down, all out ending to the whole "dark" era in which Norman was in charge. Lot of pent up aggression had to be let out.

Amazing Member

Amazon.com, fr, de & IST all have it in stock. The only weird point is that amazon uk has it "on preorder" and the prices here in europe are mostly around at least 100€+ (shipped). There are definitely some signs that we might have a situation in a few weeks but I would not (yet) press the panic button. It's quite amazing that all the cosmic stuff sells out so quickly. Marvels publishing department should adjust the printing runs (Maybe they've already done it, let's wait a bit and see what will really happen).
    Bookdepository.com has it for €90 shipped. Mine's on the way from amazon de, but it's already out of stock on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Merrick would disagree. I haven't read much Gruenwald, myself. Wasn't he responsible for all that great work on the first two volumes of OHOTMU?
    Well he isn't here to complain any more!

Yes, Gruenwald wrote much of the OHOTMU handbook content. IIRC, he also wrote some of the "bible standards" that the MU was supposed to follow in the 80s to keep characterizations and histories consistent across all the titles. The one I specifically remember him writing about was how time travel affected the MU (it created divergent realities). In my opinion he was a better editor than a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    It's a must buy for me because I'm a big "classic monsters" fan, but it's not some undiscovered gem or anything. (I believe a Marvel editor was once quoted as saying, "There is no such thing as an 'Essential' Werewolf by Night.") The Mike Ploog art is fantastic, but he only did the first few issues and I think a few later ones. Most of the rest of the series has art that's serviceable, but that's about it. Likewise, some of the writing is good, but it's very Seventies -- satanic cults, motorcycle gangs, truckers, etc. Most werewolf stories rely on the protagonist not knowing he's a werewolf until it's too late, but the nature of a serialized medium means Jack has to be incredibly dumb to keep getting caught unaware whenever the full moon rises.

But, lest I turn you off it, it's a fun read as a period piece and if you're a fan of monsters. He gets to fight Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster, team up with Morbius and Man-Thing, try to mate with Tigra, etc. Just don't go in expecting a long-form classic like Tomb of Dracula. There's much more of a "making this up as we go along" vibe to it.
    I've already got a copy pre-ordered and am looking forward to reading some of these old stories. I've never read any of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I think the most omnibus I got and liked was Orion by Simonson (DC).
    What'd you think of it? How's it compare to Kirby's 70s 4th world stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    That doesn't sound right. I mean, it'd be weird if true but as you said, hard to believe.
    Well it's happened before. Allegedly Thor by Simonson went thru three printings before it was even released.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Just to add some further speculation, CGN now has it only at 28% off as of right now. They could be waiting on a new shipment however.
    I put in my order on Tuesday to coincide with the JSA 3 release and it was still at 45% off. My order hasn't shipped yet but it has been processed and my PayPal charged.
    I guess this bodes well for future cosmic stuff!!!!

Well it's finally gone down to £61.75 to pre-order on Amazon UK from the hefty £95 amount. Maybe the UK is just getting screwed with stock shipments for some reason.

I'm trying to take the attitude of I either get it, or I don't and try not to get annoyed about it. Worst case, it goes OOP and I sell on my Annihilation Omni as I'd rather have neither than only one on the shelf.
    Mixes/Contact Info: http://chojin.devour.org

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Amazon UK shipped mine this morning, though they dobt reckon it'll be here until Tuesday. Why its going to take that long I've no idea.

Last time they did this was witg Infinity Gauntlet and it came, randomly, from Germany and looked like someone had played football with it. That got sent back. If the same happens here, Amazon will know my wrath.....again!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Amazing Member

Collects Siege: The Cabal (2009 Marvel), SIEGE PROLOGUE, Siege (2010 Marvel) #1-4 and material from SIEGE #1 DIRECTOR'S CUT, New Avengers (2005-2010 1st Series) #61-64, Dark Avengers (2009 Marvel) #13-16, and New Avengers Finale (2010)

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Amazon UK shipped mine this morning, though they dobt reckon it'll be here until Tuesday. Why its going to take that long I've no idea.

Last time they did this was witg Infinity Gauntlet and it came, randomly, from Germany and looked like someone had played football with it. That got sent back. If the same happens here, Amazon will know my wrath.....again!
    Don't worry, they'll learn to fear you
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Don't worry, they'll learn to fear you
    *Puts on Yellow Ring*
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post

What'd you think of it? How's it compare to Kirby's 70s 4th world stories?
    It's been a looooong time since I read those Kirby stories, so I can't compare it. But, it's got a little bit of a 70s vibe that's been modernized. Think Busiek's Untold Tales of Spider-Man (and it's somewhat 60s feel).

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I've never read Squadron Supreme, but have heard all the praises over the years. The major thing that is kind of a turn off for me is the artwork. It seems simplistic compared to today's stories (and even compared to many published back when this was originally released). Let's face it Bob Hall was no Byrne, Miller, or Zeck. And that logo! Man, it just looks like a bad 80s comic!

Besides that, I find that most of the work I've read by Gruenwald is a bit of a chore to get thru. I liked some of his Cap run (Society of Serpents Epic, The Captain storyline) but some of it was absurd (Cap Wolf, Fighting Chance, etc). A lot of the times most of his stories seem needlessly overly dramatic, or over-written, if that makes any sense.

What's weird is it preceeds Watchmen. SS's last issue is August '86 and Watchmen's 1st issue is cover dated Sep '86.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Well, I can see what you mean about the art, although I didn't mind it. Yes, it is 80's art, very bright, very colorful, not veering off into the 90's stances and disproportions, so it was okay. And yes, it is full on 80's type of dialogue, meaning LOTS of dialouge, thought bubbles, all that stuff some of us love from back then, and some of us hate vs. today's comics.

The whole concept of the series was "what if super heroes decided to take over the world to make it a utopian society?" which is interesting. It might've been done at DC via Kingdom Come or one of those types of elseworlds books, but I don't read DC so I don't know. And this preceeded that by a lot. It really made the team gritty and real-world, in that not everyone likes each other, there's various romances, backstabbing, abuses of power, mental breakdowns, the whole thing. It gets somewhat into the high concept of "should we be doing this" sort of thing, banter amongst the heroes, some descent among the group about doing this or that. It's all done extremely well. And while you don't like every character, they are all pretty fleshed out over the 12 issues, which makes the 12th issue that much more spectacular.

While it's NOT a quick read, and albeit not super easy on the eyes (although I didn't mind the artwork at all), I would highly recommend it. Perhaps see if your local library has a TPB to read. I can see the loose comparisons to Watchmen, but it's not really apples to apples, in my opinion. And I also get what you say about some of Gru's storylines being a little "out there", but he was on the same book (Cap) for what, like 10 years or something? He's bound to have a few missteps, right? ;-)

Appreciate the input. I decided to go ahead and order it, since it's not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Liven View Post
    I guess this bodes well for future cosmic stuff!!!!
    That's the silver lining in all this since its selling so well they are alot more likely to publish the rest of the cosmic stuff in Omnibus form