Page 428 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 328378418424425426427428429430431432438478528928 ... LastLast
Results 6,406 to 6,420 of 17378
    Spectacular Member

So I know it's hate on WCA time but I have to share that Amazon Canada has the first Omni going for 51$ or 54% off currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about WCA. I typically don't read anything that's not modern age, but even I can tell it's nowhere near classic material.
    It's odd they would choose to collect 2 volumes of it instead of every other great Avengers run.
    Is most of Engleheart's writing like that?
    Yeah pretty insane the went with two volumes indeed. It is pretty lordinary bronze age material

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    Avengers SA vol 1 besides being a historical document is fairly horrible. It's only when Roy Thomas, around issue 35 or 36 (I think), takes over the writing chores it kicks on.
    Well that's a shame. Half the reason I picked it up was because I knew the second volume was coming out and I'd hate to have it looking all lonely on it's shelf without the first book. Hopefully it's not too much of a slog to get through.

BANNED

I found these two items yesterday, after going to a comic shop I'd never gone to before in a neighboring city that I seldom visit.

PA041164.jpg

They were innocently sitting on display shelves. I asked the clerk if he could give me a deal on them. The exchange went like this:

Him: "What kind of a deal are you looking for?"
    Me: "Well, I wasn't really even looking to buy any Omnibuses today, but these are awesome. I'd buy both if you could give me them for 50% off."
    Him: "Let me check with my manager. . . . How about 30% off cover price?"
    Me: "I don't know. The jackets are a bit worn..."
    Him: "Let me check with my manager. . . . He tells me that we just got these in today. Some guy traded them in. So, the store doesn't really have any money actually invested in them. So, that means we don't actually care too much about them at all. How about 40% off, plus I'll throw in those two back issues you have in your hand, for free."
    Me: "Done."

So, yeah. Wolverine Omnibus and Thor Simonson Omnibus for 40% off cover price, plus two $3 back issues thrown in.

WOW, what a deal. How do you guys even score OOP omnibuses at your LCS? I've checked half the stores in San Francisco and none of them ever have items like that. And if they did, they'd probably give you no more than 20% off.

BANNED

For me it's a combination of luck, randomness, and probably being AWAY from major cities. Last year I found a whole treasure trove of Omnibuses (Howard the Duck, two Silver Age Iron Mans, Cap Britain, Bendis DD, DD Companion, Silver Surfer...) at my LCS just by asking the owner if he had anything like that hidden away anywhere, and he did. And he gave me all of them for 30-40% off cover price, on top of giving me great deals to get store credit on trade-ins. So I got something like 12 OOP Omnibuses for probably like $100 out of pocket expense. On the other hand, this same store never offers any discounts whatsoever on new comics, back issues, or new graphic novels. It's just strange, how and when you can get deals. It's a store I'd been going to for years, and the owner never even cared to display these OOP Omnibuses.

But, yeah, I walked into that shop yesterday for the first time ever and saw those two Omnibuses sitting there. For all I knew they'd been sitting there for five years. Turns out they had only been in there a few hours, and I was just the first guy interested in them who had seen them and realized what they were. I honestly wasn't looking to drop $125 on ANYTHING yesterday, because I was already overbudget on entertainment spending. So it wasn't an easy decision to buy them, but I had to do so because deals and opportunities like that don't come along often.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    I found these two items yesterday, after going to a comic shop I'd never gone to before in a neighboring city that I seldom visit.

PA041164.jpg

They were innocently sitting on display shelves. I asked the clerk if he could give me a deal on them. The exchange went like this:

Me: "Well, I wasn't really even looking to buy any Omnibuses today, but these are awesome. I'd buy both if you could give me them for 50% off."
    Him: "Let me check with my manager. . . . He tells me that we just got these in today. Some guy traded them in. So, the store doesn't really have any money actually invested in them. So, that means we don't actually care too much about them at all. How about 40% off, plus I'll throw in those two back issues you have in your hand, for free."

So, yeah. Wolverine Omnibus and Thor Simonson Omnibus for 40% off cover price, plus two $3 back issues thrown in.
    Great catch. Congrats!
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

manecofigo

Hey guys! Since the omnibus is coming out, I was wondering if Cable & Deadpool has any effect or influence in the x-titles of that era (the messiah era) or is it completely stand alone? Any long-standing consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by manecofigo View Post
    Hey guys! Since the omnibus is coming out, I was wondering if Cable & Deadpool has any effect or influence in the x-titles of that era (the messiah era) or is it completely stand alone? Any long-standing consequences?
    Almost entirely standalone. There was some stuff dealing with Cable's powers, but that was all dealt with in-book and wrapped up / dropped in time for Messiah Complex

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post

That's almost cruel what you did. LOL

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    Congrats. I don't think I would pay that, but I really want the Ennis Punisher Omnibus. It is the only omnibus that I didn't get when it was released that I really want.
    For anyone who may be interested who doesn't normally check out the "Comic book trading post" thread on this site, I've got an Ennis Punisher Omni I'm wanting to swap. See the details on that thread or PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    For anyone who may be interested who doesn't normally check out the "Comic book trading post" thread on this site, I've got an Ennis Punisher Omni I'm wanting to swap. See the details on that thread or PM me if interested.
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that you could sell your Punisher on Ebay, and buy either Wolverine or the DD companion and have some money left over. I suppose it would be a little time consuming but you might make a few dollars, though I haven't checked to see what those books are all going for in awhile.

So, I picked up the super discounted Avengers Vs. X-Men HC and the companion, and I'm making my way through them.
    A couple things stuck out regarding the merry mutants:

It seems some folks here are split on the Wolverine and X-Men omni or they feel it started great and went off the tracks. I enjoyed the stories I've read in the companion so far, but that art is freakin awful. Just terrible.

Second, and this is more of a question. I've really been impressed with Kieron Gillen's Uncanny X-Men that have been collected in the companion. This is my only experience with him, writing the X-Men. (Actually, I've read little by him but I know of his fanfare and the praise he gets for his Loki series, which I will one day check out.)

Question: Can anyone tell me what issues he wrote (writes) or X-Men and whether it's collected in OHC.

Thanks in advance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    I knocked off one of my white whales. I guess. I saw an Ennis Punisher omni on ebay and thought it would got over 200, which I refuse to pay. Thought "what the heck I'll bid 150 even. I'll never get it." Won it for 130. Hope I don't get burned.

Now, as for my others, I'm arranging a trade with a collector for his sealed Civil War Spidey. I have a video game he wants. Fingers crossed.
    Was that the one that was at $8 for a couple days? Lol

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Gillen's X-Men is v2 #1-20, which have been collected 4 HCs/TPBs. It's a short run and half of it is AvsX, but it's about what you'd expect out of an X-Men run. He also wrote, following on from Matt Fraction's run Quarantine, Breaking Point and Fear Itself (better stories than after the relaunch, in my opinion), as well as the companion series Generation Hope. Other work which might be of interest to X-Fans is the 5 issue series SWORD, Cyclops-centric epilogue AvsX Consequences, and Prodigy appears from #6 onwards of last year's Young Avengers series.