Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Halloween Reading

For the last few years I've read a few books in October that are in the spirit of Halloween. This year I have waited until the last moment and have just started Hellboy Library Edition Volume 4, which I put off reading until October solely for it's Halloween-ness. Last year I read the Marvel Zombie's Omnibus (Zomnibus) to get me in the spirit. I also just finished up the Incredible Hulk Omnibus, but it really didn't ever get too outside of science to qualify for me.

Does anyone else read books that get them into the spirit of Halloween? (or any other holiday)

As an aside, I'll always think of the X-men crossover Fatal Attractions as a Halloween book because I first read those stories on Halloween years ago when it was first published. I saved up all the issues so that I could read them in a row and had a blast.

I don't normally, but it is a good excuse to read the Fatale HC thats been on my shelf for a bit.

I've been saving some horror-themed on-goings to read until closer to Halloween (Wytches, specifically) but since this is my first Halloween as an active comic reader, I haven't really amassed a collection of trades or HCs that I could read to get into that spirit yet.

Although, I have been finally meaning to read Long Halloween...
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

Anything by Al Columbia (But specially Pim and Francie)
    Creepy Presents: Bernie Wrightson (Jenifer! Nightfall!)
    Creepy Presents: Richard Corben
    Hellblazer 51 (the laundry story)

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

EC Comics, of course.

All-New Member

I try my best to align my consumption of media with the time of year/holiday/weather. It enhances both the season and whatever you happen to be watching/doing/consuming. That said, I came looking for threads of Halloween recommendations. I have the hardcover collections of the first two volumes of Tales from the Crypt along with Creepy Vol 1 and 2, but I'm looking for more recommendations. On-going series as well as older stuff...it's my favorite time of year, so the more the merrier. Books (comic and otherwise), films, games. I'm down for whatever.

A few recommendations from my reading/watching this season...

Essential Films:
    Halloween (1978)
    Trick 'r Treat (2007)

Books:
    The October Country (Ray Bradbury)
    The Halloween Tree (Bradbury)
    Dark Harvest (Norman Partridge)

Comics
    From Hell (Alan Moore)
    Severed (Snyder and Tufts)
    Black Hole (Charles Burns)

The flicks are essential, must-watch every October 31st, all-time greats...the books and comics are just off the top of my head or creepy, good stuff I've read in the last month or so.
    Last edited by mudstar; 10-23-2014 at 07:14 PM.

I started the Man-Thing Omnibus tonight. It seems like it'll be a good Halloween read.

Lots of EC
    Lots of Creepy
    Lots of DC/Marvel EC-type books
    Night Force
    Marvel's Frankenstein series from the 70s
    Werewolf by Night
    Maybe Tomb of Dracula
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I second Fatale, a very nice horror/mystery book. Also Spectre Crimes and Judgement
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

Batman: Dark Moon Rising
    Legends of the World's Finest

I have a Vampire: The Masquerade graphic novel I might crack open. I love playing the VTM: Bloodlines PC game around Halloween (the haunted house level can be genuinely frightening).

Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City.

Hellboy.

Thorgal: Alinoe, issue 8 - gave me terrible scares when I was a kid.

The Darkness.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

I finally got and read Batman: The Long Halloween (which I read long ago but never owned) and Hellblazer Vol.1 for Halloween, it's something I meant to do since 2009 but somehow always got pushed off each October. I've always had interest in The Darkness, I loved vol.1 of Hellblazer so much I don't think I'm going to wait until next October to get the currently released volumes. I think Swamp Thing would be a good read for Halloween. Never read any Man-Thing.

Might read Strange Embrace again.
    Also got Scott Snyders Severed to read through.