Page 556 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 564565065465525535545555565575585595605666066561056 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,340 of 17378

I'm reading Original Sin right now and so far I'm digging it. I have to say, way easier to follow than Infinity (read nothing of Avengers prior to reading this event). I did think the opening with Nova witnessing the story of Uatu's dad was a little ham-fisted. "Hey cave people, here's some nuclear power. Cool right? We're gonna bail. Oh man, you blew yourselves up? Our bad. Guess we can't do stuff now." Past that, I'm into it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by midgetradio View Post
    I did think the opening with Nova witnessing the story of Uatu's dad was a little ham-fisted. "Hey cave people, here's some nuclear power. Cool right? We're gonna bail. Oh man, you blew yourselves up? Our bad. Guess we can't do stuff now." Past that, I'm into it.
    I agree with this. I know it was issue #0 but it almost would have read better at the end of the story.

Also, I can completely see how this would have been a frustrating read issue to issue.

Made my second B&N B2G1 purchase:

1) Thor God of Thunder OHC - There are a lot of things I like about Aaron's creativity and execution, but I never really love his Marvel work. Scalped I read at least twice a year, but his runs on Ghost Rider & Wolverine (and the first couple of trades I read of Wolverine & the X-Men) I kind of regret buying and haven't picked up again after initial read-throughs.

This book though has gotten tons of praise in this thread, from readers whose opinions I value. Expecting god things.

2) Journey into Mystery, Complete Collection Vol 2 - the first volume was excellent, and came as a recommendation from this thread. I hope the second volume lives up to its standard/quality. Anybody read it through? Thoughts?

3) Hush Unwrapped - I don't know why, but I'm always stunned when I stop & think about the fact that these beautiful books we read were actually drawn by hand. I know it's obvious, but especially when seeing the pencils, it just strikes me as all kinds of amazing. This book is Hush, but just in Jim Lee's pencils. I'm not even a huge "art guy" when it comes to reading, but this really intrigued me.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post

1) Thor God of Thunder OHC - There are a lot of things I like about Aaron's creativity and execution, but I never really love his Marvel work. Scalped I read at least twice a year, but his runs on Ghost Rider & Wolverine (and the first couple of trades I read of Wolverine & the X-Men) I kind of regret buying and haven't picked up again after initial read-throughs.

This book though has gotten tons of praise in this thread, from readers whose opinions I value. Expecting god things.

2) Journey into Mystery, Complete Collection Vol 2 - the first volume was excellent, and came as a recommendation from this thread. I hope the second volume lives up to its standard/quality. Anybody read it through? Thoughts?

3) Hush Unwrapped - I don't know why, but I'm always stunned when I stop & think about the fact that these beautiful books we read were actually drawn by hand. I know it's obvious, but especially when seeing the pencils, it just strikes me as all kinds of amazing. This book is Hush, but just in Jim Lee's pencils. I'm not even a huge "art guy" when it comes to reading, but this really intrigued me.
    Journey into Mystery 2 is also very good, though maybe a slightly less awesome sauce than vol 1. It ends with a crossover with Thor.

I know I've already praised it a lot but Thor GoT deluxe vol 1 is pretty damn amazing. It's a fully contained story and it's one of the best Marvel Now stories easily. The rest after that is good to very good but the first 11 issues were amazing.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post

My kind of typo. Funny because I don't care much for Aaron but loved that OHC.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Apparently the New X-Men reprint is back in stock at CGN. I'd go for that one since it's sewn binding as opposed to glued, thinner paper (but definitely not too thin, IMO) so it's lighter and thinner, still with the nice faux leather cover and you may not pay as much.
    Thanks for the advice, I somehow thought the reprint had the recent, cheap-looking thick cardboard cover instead of the cool-ass faux-leather of earlier omnibi.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I somehow thought the reprint had the recent, cheap-looking thick cardboard cover instead of the cool-ass faux-leather of earlier omnibi.
    I can confirm that the New X-Men reprint does NOT have the cheap-looking paper-over-cardboard cover and does have the "cool-ass" faux-leather cover of earlier omnibuses.

Hi guys, just finished reading “Avengers Forever ” and to be honest got bored.
    I’m a bit tired of the different dimension character + time travel paradigm I was wondering: is al the like this? I’m a X-men guy (and God knows we had our share of time travel & diferent plots with versions of the same character) but the avengers I read Avengers were always fun and had intention of buying but now I’m having 2nd thoughts! Is this the best story of the omni?

thanks guys!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Elektra, Vol. 1: 4.5/5. Marvel clearly brought on William Blackman, introduced him to Mike Del Mundo, and said, "get as close to the Batwoman all splash-pages, heavy narration feel as you can." And they did. And it's awesome. By far the best Elektra solo story I've read. Gorgeous, violent, funny. So great. I cannot believe this book is going to be cancelled, but there's word that the Blackman/DelMundo team is already being assembled for another book.
    I like this Elektra title quite a bit too (and I LOVE the art), but I'm going to assume that you haven't read Elektra Assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    So a couple weeks ago I started reading the Hickman FF Omni v2. Honestly, I stopped about 2/3 of the way thru. After the climax with the four cities and Inhumans/Galactus/Kree/Celestials war, I felt like most everything after was a bit of a letdown. I was really enjoying it up until that point and I find it odd that Hickman crafted his story such that climax occured so early and not closer to the end. As a result, the reader is left feeling a bit let down by the last third of the book. Post-climax you get a done-in-one follow up with Doom which shows how he survived the battle, a fairly hilarious one-shot with Pete & Johnny as roommates, then a few boring issues of the team in Wakanda with the Black Panther becoming the kind of the dead (or something). There's really not a lot going on to hold my interest. I've tried to pick it back up a couple times but haven't gotten back into it. I think I have 3-4 issues left in the book + the extras. Anyone else feel this way about this volume?
    Huh. I felt almost the opposite. The later issues felt like a refreshing change, because they were mostly quick, fairly self-contained stories.

The "climax" issues, on the other hand, were full of subpar artwork that made the Celestials look like Power Rangers, and I felt that by that point the plot had gotten so complicated-for-the-sake-of-being-complicated that it didn't appeal to me much.

Still, yeah, I mean I would still say that Hickman's FF is "okay".

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Maybe this is part of my problem. I haven't read any of his Avengers stuff post-FF/F4.
    Please, for the love of everything good in this world, do not blame yourself for not enjoying storytelling aspects that would demand you buy literally over 100 more $3.99 issues to understand them fully.

Again, I think Hickman's Avengers is quite "interesting" (in positive and negative ways), but the storytelling is very longform/decompressed, and no one should apologize if they don't have the patience, money, or time to sit through all this.

Comics writers of the past (Claremont comes foremost to mind) let plotlines dangle for years at a time, for many issues before resolving them (or never resolving them fully!), but many of them also knew how to keep readers interested and satisfied in other things that were going on month after month. Hickman lacks this talent; the "other things" that he has going on in his titles do not really have CONTENT to them. Cannonball and Smasher's relationship? It's like a nice slice-of-life vignette but it does not have much in the way of substance. Same with, for example, Starbrand learning to use his power. Still the main argument of almost every issue yammers on relentlessly about the same 2/3 ongoing conflicts and question marks, and if you still aren't completely captivated by these long-running, portentous, amorphous ideas, then you're s.o.l. because there's very little else to enjoy in the issues; everything hinges on the same stuff for several hundred pages. Imagine if Claremont devoted 10-12 pages of every '80s X-Men issue to unresolved bickering about who the third Summers brother was and who The Twelve were.

Just blow up the world already!
    Last edited by DarkBeast; 11-25-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    Just blow up the world already!
    I'd buy this t-shirt.

DarkBeast was right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    I'd buy this t-shirt.

DarkBeast was right.
    I literally choked on my beer when I read that. You're lucky I didn't spray the screen. I'd buy it too, heh. Though I still think Hickman's Avengers is amazing, I recognize the complaints people have brought against it. It IS extremely decompressed. Still though, I think it will be one of the best things ever when it's properly collected. Single issues? Not as great, no.

All-New Member

I am quite new to Marvel collecting and have a question about the MarvelNow hardcover editions. I have found various examples of hardcovers for a series collecting just the first 6 or so issues and then some time later the first 12ish issues.
    I wanted to start collecting one of those but I am quite unsure if this is a general practice that marvel does? Seems to me a bit redundant and quite confusing, why are they doing that?
    Are those editions all the same production quality and will they follow thru with it?

For example Thor: God of Thunder
    There is a HC edition with issues 6-11 (1-5 has gone OOP since I last checked):
    Thor: God of Thunder, Godbomb
    It says there it also includes some exclusive AR video content (which I do not care much about)

And then there is the HC edition with issues 1-11 (according to Amazon also slightly bigger in size and more attractive price-wise):
    Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1

I have found the same thing with one of the other series (I think All New X-Men)

So my question is, will both editions be continued, has it happened before? Is it okay always to wait for the bigger one? Or does the smaller one have any advantages apart from being released earlier (but not much of a gap)?
    I have read quite a big chunk of the info at the thread start but could not find any mention about it.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Hi guys, just finished reading “Avengers Forever ” and to be honest got bored.
    I’m a bit tired of the different dimension character + time travel paradigm I was wondering: is al the like this? I’m a X-men guy (and God knows we had our share of time travel & diferent plots with versions of the same character) but the avengers I read Avengers were always fun and had intention of buying but now I’m having 2nd thoughts! Is this the best story of the omni?

thanks guys!
    Didn't you post this recently?

Time travel is a big part of some avengers stories, mostly anything involving Kang. But there's many more stories that don't cover time travel. Avengers is often fun, but it can be pretty broody too.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by romeop View Post
    I am quite new to Marvel collecting and have a question about the MarvelNow hardcover editions. I have found various examples of hardcovers for a series collecting just the first 6 or so issues and then some time later the first 12ish issues.
    I wanted to start collecting one of those but I am quite unsure if this is a general practice that marvel does? Seems to me a bit redundant and quite confusing, why are they doing that?
    Are those editions all the same production quality and will they follow thru with it?

For example Thor: God of Thunder
    There is a HC edition with issues 6-11 (1-5 has gone OOP since I last checked):
    Thor: God of Thunder, Godbomb
    It says there it also includes some exclusive AR video content (which I do not care much about)

And then there is the HC edition with issues 1-11 (according to Amazon also slightly bigger in size and more attractive price-wise):
    Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1

I have found the same thing with one of the other series (I think All New X-Men)

So my question is, will both editions be continued, has it happened before? Is it okay always to wait for the bigger one? Or does the smaller one have any advantages apart from being released earlier (but not much of a gap)?
    I have read quite a big chunk of the info at the thread start but could not find any mention about it.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany
    They do usually make more volumes. I know the new Daredevil run and Superior Spider-Man have gotten most to all of their runs in OHC.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Does anyone know about the original Miller DD omnibus and Companion being sewn? Someone who says he can sell me both said they're sewn and I asked him for pictures which I'll put up soon. I only found online that they're all glued but wondered if someone knew of an exception.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor