Page 1096 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 965969961046108610921093109410951096109710981099110011061146 ... LastLast
Results 16,426 to 16,440 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Very cool, you guys make convincing arguments to part with my money!
    I don't think you'll be disappointed with IDW's stellar presentation of The Amazing Spider-Man Newspaper Strips like I was with Marvel's crappy presentation. IDW's rocks!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Expensive week for me and besides the Luke Cage masterworks, can't say I super excited about any of Marvel's hardcover products. The first appearance book was okay when it was a series of trades, but putting all that isolated stuff in an omnibus is just asking for failure. The Powers omni is probably a good product, but I already have the oversized hardbacks. The Ultimate omnibus is okay in theory, but the first storyline of all the ultimate books---how does that even work with the Ultimates---the storyline was the entire twelve issues. Marvel is really testing their omnibus buyers when they should be nurturing us and hope that we grow.

I understand the criticism that you should only buy what you like, but I think that misses the collector mentality somewhat. I COLLECT omnibuses. It has nothing to do with story. For me they are like a series of souvenir plates or a card set. You try to get them all.

Something I want to throw out there and see if anyone picks up either in agreement or disagreement--at a certain point from a collectability standpoint[---wouldn't it be more worthwhile if there wasnt' anymore new omnibuses. The limited number of the preexisting ones would make their value go way up. In ten years well preserved omnibuses could be very valuable. Is the omnibus ultimately for the collector or the reader? (I don't think they read very comfortably at all)
    I'm not really into buying omnis for an investment. I buy them because I like reading them and they look great. Are they somewhat bulky? Sure. But it's still nice to have all of it in one large book. But if I had my choice of TPB's or omnis, I'm taking the omni every time.

Now, that doesn't mean that I won't ever sell or trade any of my omnis in the future. Most of the time when I buy an omni, I already know that I like the book, however there are some instances where I don't know. And if I don't end up liking it, I won't hesitate to sell it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Hey dudes, any links to photos or reviews of the Powers Omnibus?

Expensive week for me and besides the Luke Cage masterworks, can't say I super excited about any of Marvel's hardcover products. The first appearance book was okay when it was a series of trades, but putting all that isolated stuff in an omnibus is just asking for failure. The Powers omni is probably a good product, but I already have the oversized hardbacks. The Ultimate omnibus is okay in theory, but the first storyline of all the ultimate books---how does that even work with the Ultimates---the storyline was the entire twelve issues. Marvel is really testing their omnibus buyers when they should be nurturing us and hope that we grow.

I understand the criticism that you should only buy what you like, but I think that misses the collector mentality somewhat. I COLLECT omnibuses. It has nothing to do with story. For me they are like a series of souvenir plates or a card set. You try to get them all.

Something I want to throw out there and see if anyone picks up either in agreement or disagreement--at a certain point from a collectability standpoint[---wouldn't it be more worthwhile if there wasnt' anymore new omnibuses. The limited number of the preexisting ones would make their value go way up. In ten years well preserved omnibuses could be very valuable. Is the omnibus ultimately for the collector or the reader? (I don't think they read very comfortably at all)
    There is no reason to buy a book I don't want to read. Having an additional book spine taking up space on a shelf is not worth spending money on.

No, it wouldn't. Its awful thinking and quite egotistical. What about the rest of the fans who love the stories and want to collect them in this particular format? Should they all be disregarded because you intend to make a quick buck down the line?
    In any case it should be the other way around: reprints should be available every two years or so. Fans want omnis! Reception to the ones that already happened are proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    There is no reason to buy a book I don't want to read. Having an additional book spine taking up space on a shelf is not worth spending money on.
    It is to me, because I believe a book with fewer pages per volume is less likely to fall apart than an omnibus with two to five times the number of pages. That's why I prefer Masterworks to the Omnibus line (besides the fact that the Omnibus line now has crappy paper and cheap paper-covered boards instead of the more scuff- and stain-resistant ones like the Masterworks).

Maybe well-preserved omnibuses will be worth more in the future since most will have started falling apart in 10 years.
    Last edited by DrGregatron; 08-21-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Just picked up the Ms. Marvel OHC, let's see if it lives up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    In any case it should be the other way around: reprints should be available every two years or so. Fans want omnis! Reception to the ones that already happened are proof of that.
    Word. But I'm also of the view that Marvel should allow for customizable omnis, OHCs, and TPBs. As in, I should be able to go on Marvel.com (or through a very specific licensed print shop), request an OHC that contains exactly X-Y-Z issues, pick a cover, and have it delivered. It should be significantly more expensive than if I bought it off-the-shelf, but you would be getting exactly what you want so what's the arm in charging more for it.

Call me old fashioned but I just like to read comics regardless of whether they'll become valuable. Whether they'll be able to not fall apart in 10 years is unknown and unimportant to me, I could be dead in 10 years for all I know. People should just chill and live for today, not for what the future could be. Rant done.

Amazing Member

I'm firmly in the camp that buys these things in order to read em. I think if I we're just looking to turn a buck I'd use the stock market or fuck around with sports betting. Comics are for reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...ls?ie=UTF8&me=

Quick question about The Mighty Thor Volume 1 Omnibus: being OOP for some time (I've been looking for it for quite a while), what does it mean when amazon says it's 'temporarily out of stock'?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...ls?ie=UTF8&me=

Quick question about The Mighty Thor Volume 1 Omnibus: being OOP for some time (I've been looking for it for quite a while), what does it mean when amazon says it's 'temporarily out of stock'?
    It's just Amazon speak for "We don't have any copies and are not expecting any copies, but made you look."

Spectacular Member

I think you guys are being a little snobbish---comics are for collecting too. Hell, hunting them down (before ebay) was more fun than reading most of them (imo). I collect omnibuses and except for Devil Dinosaur I got them all. And if I run across a Devil Dinosaur somewhere, I suspect I will be more satisfied by the experience than many of you reading a Spider-man story from forty years ago.

WIth all due respect.
    trying to be nicer

If you wanna collect because you like omnis, good for you.
    If you wanna collect 'cause you like Daredevil, awesome.
    If you wanna collect because you like variant covers, have at it.
    If you just wanna read then the world is your oyster.
    If you just wanna read every appearance of Squirrel Girl, then (groan) that's good too I guess.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Worse than Fall From Grace? Unpossible!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yeah I'm currently reading the Fall From Grace Epic and it is BAD.
    Yes, FFG is awful. Just not as awful as Nocenti's DD

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I find both Nocenti and Louise Simonson's 80s Marvel work to be terribly dull. I'd guess their later work is just as blah but I've purposely stayed away from it, so I don't know?
    Same here. The 80s stuff was so bad I won't ever read their stuff again.

I think you guys are being a little snobbish---comics are for collecting too. Hell, hunting them down (before ebay) was more fun than reading most of them (imo).
    Yes, the hunt was awesome. I remember going to another town on vacation or whatever, flipping through the local phone book to find nearby comic shops and then going to them, with list in hand, to see if they had those few hard to find (but still relatively cheap) single issues that I needed to fill gaps.

I sort of do that now, I suppose, with OHCs and omnibus books, but it's nowhere near as fun because the expectations are low, since the rare ones are almost never there. With floppies I knew I had a fighting chance.