Page 1060 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 605609601010105010561057105810591060106110621063106410701110 ... LastLast
Results 15,886 to 15,900 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I finally read Steve Gerber's Foolkiller. The best Punisher story almost no one has read. Marvel has to reprint it ASAP.

Kirby's Devil Dinosaur is awesome! So many ideas and concepts and dinosaurs!
    And no Stan Lee trying to claim credit for it;-)

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I finally read Steve Gerber's Foolkiller. The best Punisher story almost no one has read. Marvel has to reprint?
    Is this available in OHC?

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    Thats true. There is definitly stuff that is timeless. Dark Phoenix, Born Again, Demon in a Bottle fucking great stuff.

But the really early stuff is just to different. I am like the biggest Spider-Man Fan there is, but I had to stop after the 12th Issue from the first Amazing Omnibus. Its just to cheesy.

(Still, Spideys Origin Issue is timeless again...)
    Yeah when you go that far back the books were not only meant for a completely different audience but the pacing was the complete opposite of today. Even a decade or two bac ka six issue story arc would be a major event, now it is the standard practise for a single story.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier76 View Post
    Haha while I agree with this statement, as another self-proclaimed "Spidey Super-Fan", I think that the Lee / Romita Vol II Omnibus is the material I find myself re-reading over and over again!

Also, I just rearranged my bookshelves so here's a quick pic...

Attachment 25281
    Ignoring those shelves for the moment that floor is fantastic, real wood?

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Ignoring those shelves for the moment that floor is fantastic, real wood?
    Thanks! The hardwood floor you're looking at is original to the house, which was built in the early 1900's. Apparently all the houses on my block have the same / similar floors! South Philly!

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I am also working through my FF omni's, I am in Lee/Kirby 3 right now. The Mistaken identity bit I will absolutely give you; however the curing the Thing is part of the real people aspect of the Marvel characters. In story not a lot of time has passed in these issues, why wouldn't the focus be on trying to cure the guy who got the worst of their transformations? It all goes into the character building and relationship dynamics of the group. What is driving me nuts is the lack of personality attributed to Sue. The "I'm just a silly woman" schtick is a little grating. I know it was the 60's, but a super heroine should have been more than that.
    Enter John Byrne.
    Sue becomes a lot more than what she was.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    You stopped at the wrong place.Ditko takes over the book's direction from around issue 18 and it really takes off till his departure. If you can't get through early ASM then you can forget about FF and Avengers .
    Yeah, I honestly dont know why I keep going buying Stan Lee Avengers Omnibusses Havent even unwrapped the first one And while I am interested in FF, I dont want to buy it because of the art alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    You can't reconcile proclaiming yourself as the biggest Spider-Man fan there is and not liking the definitive run of the character.
    Thats when Romita joins the team. Omnibus Vol. 2 shouldnt be a big problem, I read most of the issues of it anyway and I think that its great.
    But its not only the art, its stuff like the Thinkerer beeing working for Aliens.
    I am 23, felt in love with Spider-Man because of the first Raimi movie and this is just to late to connect to some of the early, reconned stuff after a so long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Yeah when you go that far back the books were not only meant for a completely different audience but the pacing was the complete opposite of today. Even a decade or two bac ka six issue story arc would be a major event, now it is the standard practise for a single story.
    Definitly.

The tinkerer and the aliens is explained in the stern omnibus. They're just men in costumes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strange View Post
    The tinkerer and the aliens is explained in the stern omnibus. They're just men in costumes.
    Yeah, like I said, its retconned, but I have the feeling that Stan Lee intended the whole stuff back then as actual Aliens.

I don't think it's weird though, because most superheroes today fight creatures not of Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    Thats when Romita joins the team. Omnibus Vol. 2 shouldnt be a big problem, I read most of the issues of it anyway and I think that its great.
    But its not only the art, its stuff like the Thinkerer beeing working for Aliens.
    I am 23, felt in love with Spider-Man because of the first Raimi movie and this is just to late to connect to some of the early, reconned stuff after a so long time.
    I'm only 26 and I love Spider-Man, I am collecting all the single issues and I have the omnis. You are missing some great stuff in that first omni by stopping at issue 12. The master planner saga is one of the best Spidey stories I have ever read.

Sadly, no. I had to get the original issues through... certain channels I can't discuss here.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Unfortunately, it's never been reprinted. It needs to be, though. It's among Gerber's best work.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I broke the Onslaught Omni contents vs. trades down a few weeks back. Long story short: The only thing the TPBs add are X-Men #50 and some scattered "material from" pages that might be in the Omni and just not part of the solicitation
    Ah, my old buddy Krisis. I knew you'd steer me in the correct direction! Think I'll stick with my existing TPs just for ease of reading and I'm also running out of space. No need to double dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I am also working through my FF omni's, I am in Lee/Kirby 3 right now. The Mistaken identity bit I will absolutely give you; however the curing the Thing is part of the real people aspect of the Marvel characters. In story not a lot of time has passed in these issues, why wouldn't the focus be on trying to cure the guy who got the worst of their transformations? It all goes into the character building and relationship dynamics of the group. What is driving me nuts is the lack of personality attributed to Sue. The "I'm just a silly woman" schtick is a little grating. I know it was the 60's, but a super heroine should have been more than that.
    I agree, especially since she's potentially the most powerful of the group. It was somewhat the mindset of the early 60s. A lot of Stan Lee's female characters have that "woe is me" attitude. Karen Page used to lament that MM/DD didn't want her because he was blind; Jane Foster and Thor, etc.

As times, changed, so, too, did the characterization.