Page 634 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 1345345846246306316326336346356366376386446847341134 ... LastLast
Results 9,496 to 9,510 of 17378
    Amazing Member

Just noticed - Death of Wolverine HC DM version is not available at IST. Had to get it thru CGN ...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Just grabbed an Eternals omni. Now only need Silver Surfer and the DD's and will have all my wants. So close.
    Did you get it on eBay? Was going for one last night, but since I had just scored Silver Surfer and Spiderman Vol 2 a few nights before, it stopped me from bidding as I would have otherwise.

If it was you, congrats!! Don't see that one on ebay very often and was quite surprised it was put up as a low starting auction. The owner could have gotten a lot more money for it.
    Last edited by Liven; 01-07-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Here's something I'm curious about, and since I'm pretty much solely a Marvel zombie, I thought I'd ask it here:

Comics you read as a kid - clouded by nostalgia or still hold up?

For me, the bulk of my comic reading as a kid was in the early to mid 80's. So when I wax nostalgic on comics I read as a kid, riding my bike from gas station to gas station, perusing the spinner racks to try to nab that month's comics before they were gone in my small town, I think I was extremely lucky. During my time, I had the following: Simonson Thor, Stern Avengers, Gruenwald Captain America, Michelinie/Layton Iron Man - all of which are much heralded runs. There was also Byrne's FF, although I didn't pick that up as a kid. Granted, there were some stinkers in there, but as a whole, just about every comic I read "as a kid" still holds up today. The only one that I have a nostalgic love for, but is a true chore to read is "Secret Wars" - the first one. Talk about pages FULL of word bubbles. Possibly the most words in a comic ever, especially in the 1st issue, where Shooter thinks he needs to explain to everyone who each character is. Perhaps it's different eras of when you were a kid. Just thought this would be interesting topic to discuss.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suriel View Post
    I guess I will never ever switch to digital. It goes against the nature of my collectors sense and my habit of collecting comics. Not holding a comic-book in my hands physically, seeing and feeling actual pages, not beeing able to look at my collection on the shelf isn't just my cup of tee. Adding to that, that films or books distributed online makes them available at all time, they are not special anymore, they are just like the other thousand films or books out there.
    Snap! Call me old fashioned, but I need to see it, pick it up and hold it myself when I read it.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Why are the modern Marvel Omnibuses just getting shorter?

Young Avengers was like 15 issues or something and Uncanny Avengers will be 25. With their thinner paperstock, you think they'd be including more not less =/

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

Young Avengers was like 15 issues or something and Uncanny Avengers will be 25. With their thinner paperstock, you think they'd be including more not less =/
    They vary. Older devil dinosaur is teeny tiny too, but the just released Deadpool and cable is 50 issues. I would say the average has held up over the years. Around 30 issues.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joesephed View Post
    I finally received my Punisher by Remender Omni that I ordered from CGN on black friday. (They sent me PunisherMax by accident so I had to send it back and wait some more) I forgot how much I loved the start of Remender's Punisher. I was hooked from issue #1 when Dark Reign was originally going on... So far I've read through Dark Reign - The List: Punisher and while I know it takes a rather silly turn, that doesn't diminish how good that first act was to me. I'm hoping the second act will be more enjoyable if I read it with an open mind rather than a "well that's a stupid idea" mindset. (something I think many (all?) comic readers could benefit from doing) Every story idea sounds stupid if you describe it with a pesemistic point of view.
    I think that the first act of Remender's Punisher is great, and the ending is good, too (the In the Blood mini). The middle section, well... It can be enjoyed, with the right mindset. And Tony Moore's art is great.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liven View Post
    Did you get it on eBay? Was going for one last night, but since I had just scored Silver Surfer and Spiderman Vol 2 a few nights before, it stopped me from bidding as I would have otherwise.

If it was you, congrats!! Don't see that one on ebay very often and was quite surprised it was put up as a low starting auction. The owner could have gotten a lot more money for it.
    Yeah it was on eBay. Wound up at $110 after shipping. Not the deal of the century but better than $150-200. Congrats on the Surfer, I will have to bite the bullet on that one someday.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Here's something I'm curious about, and since I'm pretty much solely a Marvel zombie, I thought I'd ask it here:

This is a fascinating question to me too, along with the related question, can one ever fairly evaluate comics for which one is nostalgic against those of another era, or does the fond association create an inescapable bias towards the style one grew up with? Like you, I became a collector in the early 80s and find myself drawn back to those runs preferentially. I'd add Miller DD, Claremont UXM & NM, and Stern Spidey to the list of classics you already cited from this period. In my opinion, they all hold up quite well today. A couple of other reasons I respect this era are 1) the balance struck between making storylines and characterization more mature and remaining accessible to younger readers, and 2) the ongoing effort to maintain continuity throughout a single Marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    This is a fascinating question to me too, along with the related question, can one ever fairly evaluate comics for which one is nostalgic against those of another era, or does the fond association create an inescapable bias towards the style one grew up with? Like you, I became a collector in the early 80s and find myself drawn back to those runs preferentially. I'd add Miller DD, Claremont UXM & NM, and Stern Spidey to the list of classics you already cited from this period. In my opinion, they all hold up quite well today. A couple of other reasons I respect this era are 1) the balance struck between making storylines and characterization more mature and remaining accessible to younger readers, and 2) the ongoing effort to maintain continuity throughout a single Marvel universe.
    I guess I'm more thinking for those who grew up on comics in the 90's, where lots of it are generally panned, can you still say, "I loved XYZ, and still do, but when I read it now, it looks awful or the store is really bad, etc..."
    I jumped out of comics right around Secret Wars II time, so anything during/after that I don't have any nostalgia for. But I can look back and honestly say that some of the stuff I was reading was not great, but some was insanely great. I think I was lucky, the early 80's was an excellent time to be reading Marvel.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_616 View Post
    Question for the collectors of the forum:

Has anyone purchased a Collected Edition from Comixology? I was wondering how they differ from buying individual issues and if they're worth it, considering they save a few dollars price-wise.
    I always go with whatever is the cheapest option, and that tends to be collections. However, digital collected editions for Marvel are never on sale (for some other companies, they sometimes are). So I often prefer to wait for a sale and buy the individual issues at 99 cents, rather than pay full price less $1-2 for the collection.

The one main advantage though is with crossover events. The collected editions are set out in the correct reading order, which is mildly more difficult when going issue by issue (especially when you're not connected to the internet while reading, as the Comixology app will only prompt you with the next item in the reading list if you're online.) So I'm buying The Complete Onslaught Epic digital collected editions, for example. Or Messiah CompleX, Messiah War, and Second Coming (they are laid out like the TPB, with the right issues in the right order).

One disadvantage to digital collected editions though is that they don't always include all the same books as the TPB of the same name. The Complete Age of Apocalypse Book 1 does not include X-Man -1 or Annual 1996, nor does it include the Aschan Edition. Sometimes they include 1-2 extra ones, but it's rare. And the descriptions of what they contain aren't always accurate (for example, the description for the "X-Men vs. Apocalypse: The Twelve" collection leaves out that it contains two issues of X-Man). So be sure the digital file you're getting contains everything you want.
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 01-07-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Using my Amazon reward points I've gone through one of their Marketplace sellers(Scifietc) and purchased the Devil Dinosaur Omni. It was $100 and I had $55 in Redemption Dollar Points. Anyone use them, their rating seem solid.
    It's been one of my dozen white whales so I can take this off the list.

Thinking that the Death of Cap my get reprinted next year and with the DD Netflix show one, if not both volumes, of the Bendis & Brubaker DD runs will get reprinted.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 01-07-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    They vary. Older devil dinosaur is teeny tiny too, but the just released Deadpool and cable is 50 issues. I would say the average has held up over the years. Around 30 issues.
    It's probably just the perception of the thinner paper stock. The Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus was a few hundred pages bigger than the first Lee/Ditko Spider-Man book but is maybe 20% smaller. Plus books like Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, Evolutionary War, and Atlantis Attacks would probably look like the Marvel OGN books if they were printed today. On one hand it's nice to get a *big* think hardcover on the shelf, on the other hand, with the thinner paper, you can fit more of them. But then it's a moot argument since they're not going back.

By the way, can I just say how neat it is to talk about this kind of stuff and have folks know exactly what I mean. I try talking about it to my friends and I can literally see the comprehension and interest leaving their eyes. I was talking about omnibi with a buddy of mine visiting from London (he brought it up, since I know better than to start going off about that). He couldn't wrap his head around it being a large hardcover collection of comics until he opened one of them.

Have a good day.
    John Cage

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

But it's fine, cos at least they are reducing the prices on the smaller ones with less iss......oh wait, no, scratch that.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post

For me, the bulk of my comic reading as a kid was in the early to mid 80's. So when I wax nostalgic on comics I read as a kid, riding my bike from gas station to gas station, perusing the spinner racks to try to nab that month's comics before they were gone in my small town, I think I was extremely lucky. During my time, I had the following: Simonson Thor, Stern Avengers, Gruenwald Captain America, Michelinie/Layton Iron Man - all of which are much heralded runs. There was also Byrne's FF, although I didn't pick that up as a kid. Granted, there were some stinkers in there, but as a whole, just about every comic I read "as a kid" still holds up today. The only one that I have a nostalgic love for, but is a true chore to read is "Secret Wars" - the first one. Talk about pages FULL of word bubbles. Possibly the most words in a comic ever, especially in the 1st issue, where Shooter thinks he needs to explain to everyone who each character is. Perhaps it's different eras of when you were a kid. Just thought this would be interesting topic to discuss.
    The comics I read as a kid were Tintin and Asterix. Didn't pick up a comic again till about 7 years ago. Last year I read about half of the Asterix/Tintin Albums at my local library and found I enjoyed them even more than I had as a kid. They were still very fun comics, but the wordplay in the Asterix books probably went over my head when I was younger.

On topic, with Marvel some of the first comics I picked up on "rediscovering comics" were Civil War and Bendis Daredevil. I went on a bit of a re-reading bend last year and read through these after a solid few years reading comics and it was interesting to see how they held up now that I knew who all the characters were in the book, had read various authors "takes" on different characters, and had read a much wider range of books. Civil War still was about as good as I remembered (4/5), I'm a big fan of the storyline and what it accomplishes and sets out for the next few years of the Marvel Universe. It was interesting that I noticed much more how "out of character" some of the main actors were now that I've read various takes on them.

Bendis Daredevil held even more magic than I thought, this was the comic that made me love Marvel and want to get more into comics, Civil War had been a good first up read but this was my kind of story and really made me want moar comics. Reading it again it was still fantastic, and really was made to stand out more by the fact I've read a heck of a lot more comics now and it still is one of the top 5 comics I've ever read.

So a lot of recent and older nostalgia, but still good results _b

Short answer, most modern runs in comics over the last 5 or so years by single writers/artists are a lot shorter. Marvel, in particular, loves to put out new #1s with regularity.

Also Uncanny X-force was regular sized, as is Trial Of Captain America and the two Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus. Punisher Max was not. So there is a mix, and has been for sometime.