Page 476 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 376426466472473474475476477478479480486526576976 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Would you say Thor vol. 2 is worth picking up with 1 being OOP?
    I loved the stuff in Thor volume 2 and what will be a potential vol 3. Great stuff! No need to own volume 1 to enjoy the Kirby goodness of volume 2.

BANNED

Anyone have any Daredevil tips?
    I have TPB's of Frank Miller's Visionaries series (DD #158-191), TPB of Yellow and the Typhoid Mary TPB.

I would love Omnibus' of Bendis and Brubakes runs (impossible!) and would love to see Waid's first series collected as omnibus as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Just ordered a "like new" astonishing X-Men omnibus from Amazon right now. Good deal or just ok?
    It's quite hard to find so I think you got a good deal.
    I think the series is vastly overrated though. I have it in monthlies and we waited a LONG time between issues and it really effected my reading of it.

Spectacular Member

Flight, if you don't have it already, Born Again is a must have, I personally think it's much better than Miller's main run on the title.

Well Waid's first series is collected in OHC's so same size as a Omni, just not all together.

I still have hope for Bendis/Brubaker Omni reprints because of the Netflix series.

Ugh, the paperback Masterworks volumes apparently are ending? Guess I'll have to wait for the Epic Collections now.

... hmmm, maybe go ahead and get Captain America vol. 2 & 3. That's as far as I want for Silver Age Cap. The first Thor Masterwork is cheap, already have vol. 2. That'll cover the material that will be in the first Epic Collection and I won't have to rebuy anything...

*off to make elaborate chart to make sense of this*

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Now that we've had a day to settle down from the movie announcements, I thought it could be fun to speculate a bit on what collections we might expect from each.

First, let's acknowledge that Marvel actually got ahead of the announcements for once, with a few Inhumans books out in the last year and Ms. Marvel's Masterworks out just last week!

Now, onto the flicks!

Captain America: Civil War - This content is already well-collected. Will we get a Civil War omni? A re-issue of the Death of Cap omni? The content is so centered on the 2006-07 story it's hard to imagine anything else seeming very relevant. Maybe that final, elusive Brubaker Omni.

Doctor Strange - The good doctor is relatively undercollected compared to his peers, so this could get fun. Could we get an omnibus of his earliest issues or the masterful Stern run? What about a hunk of his 80s/90s solo title, which ran 90 issues? Or, even an ultimate collection of some of his 90s/00s one-shots and minis?

GotG2 - I think we'll be looking at the Annihilation: Conquest Omni (although I'm still convinced it could appear next year post AoU), maybe finally the DnA omni, or an OHC or Omni of the Marvel Now Bendis run, which will be solidly out of print by then.

Thor: Ragnarok - Thor's 1998 series ended in a Ragnarok that took him off the table for a few years, which is the obvious analog to the film. However, that was in issues 80-85, which have already been OHC'd as "Avengers Disassembled" with similar tales from Cap and Iron Man. Will we get a weirdly disembodied Omni of the back half of that Thor run? Oh, and a Thor by Aaron Omni for a run that will by then be three years old!

Black Panther - Black Panther has never had an oversized release, so there's a lot of fodder here. An early material omni could cover his first appearance, his MMW, plus a 15-issue 1977 series that is not entirely collected (though I suspect we'll see an Ultimate Collection of that out before then). Then there is Christopher Priest's mostly-uncollected and well-regarded 1998 series - but at 62 issues (plus a crossover with Deadpool), it's too big for one Omni! It could be knocked out with three Ultimates. However, it's the following Hudlin/Aaron 41-issue run where T'Challa marries Storm that seems like a dead lock for Omnibus material.

Captain Marvel - There are a number of options here. Her Essential volume of a solo series (23 issues + 3) is easy short-omni material and is probably a little too long for one color paperback. An omnibus of the 50-issue (plus three one-shots) Brian Reed run with the photo-realistic covers? Pretty darn likely, and if not easily done in three complete collections. A complete collection of DeConnick's first Captain Marvel volume, complete with the Enemy Within crossover issues? Seems pretty obvious.

Inhumans - An omnibus of their two MMWs seems like the easiest win here, and there's not too much else aside from Young Inhumans. However, Marvel will have a pile of issues of the Soule-penned Marvel Now title by then (all of which written with the knowledge that the movie announcement was coming), so that's the likeliest candidate.

Avengers: Infinity War - Clearly we'll have omnis of Infinity Crusade and Infinity War to complete our sets
    Last edited by krisis; 10-29-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    After killing the Essential line last year, escaped killer, Marvel Epic claims yet another victim! Marvel Masterwork softcovers were found dead in a dark alley early Sunday evening. Witnesses tell police that the killer looked a lot like the Essentials killer and was seen leaving the scene in an overpriced jacket with lines that didn't quite match up to its other lines. More news to come at the MMW Forum!
    Marvel has discontinued the Softcover MW line? Dirty. I guess my Spidey collection will end with the last SC release.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Is The Dark Tower worth reading for someone who hasn't read any Stephen King novels? I have 2 of those Gunslinger Born PHC's (quite a beatiful hc by the way) but never had the urge to read one of them. Btw, if someone wants one of those phc's and willing to pay shipping just give me a pm, though it's only 4 euro from Cheap-comics.com so you can also get it from them. Thanks!
    First four DT trades are great, and stand alone. After that, it gets progressively worse. Definitely avoid the ones that came out after Jae Lee left.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    They overprinted that or something. I remember hearing that they were selling them to dealers to like $6 each.
    Edit: http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/f...er-comics.html
    Correct. If I had known, I would have offered my local FLCS owner to co-order 100 with him, since these things are going to be hot when the new movie comes out. The art is amazing, and the build quality superb.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    Correct. If I had known, I would have offered my local FLCS owner to co-order 100 with him, since these things are going to be hot when the new movie comes out. The art is amazing, and the build quality superb.
    New movie? The film rights just reverted away from Disney. After seeing how badly their film flopped, no major studio is going to touch John Carter with a ten foot pole. At least not for a very long time. And any lesser studios aren't going to do the franchise justice. You'd be better off putting your money into treasury bonds or something rather than sit on 100 John Carter Omnibuses for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    New movie? The film rights just reverted away from Disney. After seeing how badly their film flopped, no major studio is going to touch John Carter with a ten foot pole. At least not for a very long time. And any lesser studios aren't going to do the franchise justice. You'd be better off putting your money into treasury bonds or something rather than sit on 100 John Carter Omnibuses for a decade.
    At $6 a pop? Sir, I can without a doubt inform you that these would EASILY sell for $30 each in the local market I inhabit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    At $6 a pop? Sir, I can without a doubt inform you that these would EASILY sell for $30 each in the local market I inhabit.
    1) While a profit of $24 per book is nice (assuming some kind of in person non-tax reported cash transaction that doesn't have any overhead, otherwise that profit is lessened), realistically how many people are ever going to walk into a comic shop or swap meet looking for a John Carter Omnibus? Very few, as evidenced by the dismal sales of the Omnibus that played a role in it getting clearanced out. Unless you live in a country other than America that has some kind of above average fascination with John Carter. Otherwise, good luck in moving A HUNDRED John Carter Omnibuses out of any one shop or your bedroom. If some shop could move a hundred John Carter Omnbuses in one area, they'd be doing it. And if you take your selling online, good luck competing with everyone else who bought $6 John Carter Omnibuses to sell online too. Oh, and your profits on a $30 sale are probably going to dip to maybe $15 at best after fees and shipping costs, assuming you can even sell it for $30 there.

2) Meanwhile in a national if not global marketplace on eBay, maybe 20 of these have sold in the past three months for $20-25ish each. $31 is the highest it sold at. You can buy multiple copies for under $22 at this moment. It's not exactly a gold mine. And at $22 a pop? Maybe an $8 profit after fees and shipping. One seller on eBay has sold approximately 10 of these Omnis per month at $22 each. So this clearance re-seller is making $80 in profits per month from this Omni, which is a nice amount of extra money for a regular dude to then spend on more books or beer or something. But it's not some kind of huge business victory for the dealers and shops that have the ability to buy these books at wholesale.

3) Again, there's no movie coming out any time soon. The point is you could invest that $6 x 100 into something that's going to net you a better return by the time a new John Carter movie comes out if a mere $30 sale price is your goal. And that's assuming there would actually be interest in the Omnibus the second time around, because there was no interest in the Omnibus the first time around with the Disney film.

There's no hidden gold mine in John Carter Omnibuses as an investment or business decision. It's a pretty big gamble that there will even be another movie. And even higher odds that it'll be more successful than the Disney attempt. And even greater odds that people will be seeking out this particular Marvel Omnibus. It's not even close to a "sure thing" like sitting on an Age of Apocalypse Omnibus might be for when that film comes out. Even 10 years from now, there's going to be hundreds if not thousands of these clearanced John Carter Omnibuses out there. The book isn't rare or scarce. You wouldn't be the only one looking to re-sell or remembering they have that Omni sitting on a shelf, and thus the value would be driven down as the market floods (again, assuming any real demand which I think is a big IF).

There's really no hidden gold mine in re-selling any of these clearanced Omnis or other trades. The businesses that do it are comic shops looking to make a quick couple of bucks on low volume (because some money is better than no money and they only have so much space to store Omnis), or clearance re-sellers who thrive on low profit margins amplified by a high volume of sales.

But if you're just some dude flipping your Omnibus or maybe an extra one you bought and shoved in a closet, great, more power to you, enjoy the flip and spending that money on more comics. But $600 could be invested much more wisely than John Carter Omnibuses.

Incredible Member

In other news, IGN reviewed and blasted apart the Original Sin hardcover which just dropped:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/...c-novel-review

A mediocre to poor story with shitty paper and build that instantly warped once taken out of the plastic wrap.

And a crazy high cover price tag to accompany all of that.

At least more main stream sites are now willing to recognize and talk about paper and build quality issues.

Spectacular Member

I liked Original Sin the story, dropped Original Sins after 1 issue though.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    In other news, IGN reviewed and blasted apart the Original Sin hardcover which just dropped:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/...c-novel-review

A mediocre to poor story with shitty paper and build that instantly warped once taken out of the plastic wrap.

And a crazy high cover price tag to accompany all of that.

At least more main stream sites are now willing to recognize and talk about paper and build quality issues.
    Hmm Amazon still have this at $32 but that seems like $32 too much, especially if it has lousey build issues. Another one for the cancelled pile then.

So glad to see someone else calling Marvel out on their shitty OHC event books. I doubt that review will change anything but I voiced my opinion by not giving Marvel my money.

I would post the link on Tom Brevoort's formspring but what's the point when he'll just fire back with a flippant remark.