Page 142 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 42921321381391401411421431441451461521922426421142 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 17378
    Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    No idea. Where could he be?
    Well exactly!

Being a forthright sort of chap, I guess he's wary of the new ethos on CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by dark phoenix View Post
    So I think it's been a while since we did this (or maybe not and I'm just old and forgetful) but What's everyone's current top 3 wish list for Marvel Omniboo? Here's mine:
    1. Uncanny X-Men volume 3
    2. New Mutants volume 1
    3. Alpha Flight by John Byrne
    Hard to pick just 3 :
    X-Factor: Peter David (90's run or the 3rd volume starting with madox)
    New Mutants Omnibus (1st run + New Mutants by Zeb Wells Omnibus )
    X-Men: Legacy Omnibus (X-Men: Legacy Vol. 1 #208–218 +X-Men: The Unlikely Saga of Xavier, Magneto and Stan one-shot and X-Men: Odd One Out one-shot + X-Men Original Sin one-shot and Wolverine: Origins #28–30 )

3 OHC:
    Cable by Duane Swierczynski
    Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix (with: Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4, X-Men: Books of Askani, Askani'Son 1-4, Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4 )
    X-Men: Deadly Genesis OHC

Reprint:
    Captain Britain By Alan Moore & Alan Davis Omnibus
    The Mighty Thor Vol. 1
    Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cerd the nerd View Post
    Well exactly!

Being a forthright sort of chap, I guess he's wary of the new ethos on CBR.
    Why be forthright when you can beat around the bush?
    Last edited by aquitaine; 06-15-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Anyway... A few people have posted before about spine issues with Marvel Omnibi.

I finally got Secret Wars II (from cheap-comics .com) about a month ago and it had same issues.

Obviously, this is nothing to do with the seller, but a fault at the manufacturing stage. I wasn't going to send it back (they're in the Netherlands!), the shipping would be too expensive.

So.... I decided fix it myself. Did a bit of reading first about book structure.

If you open a Marvel omnibus, and look down its spine, you'll (hopefully) see a piece of thick brown paper glued to the spine.
    This is is the spine lining, and is important in adding structure and solidity to the spine.

I found some useful definitions at The Book Arts Web Glossary:

LININGS are layers of cloth ( super) and paper used for reinforcing and stiffening the textblock spine. One or two layers are frequently glued to the textblock spine after it has been rounded and backed.
    Super is usually the first spine lining, and the second lining is a strip of light weight paper, called a paper lining.
    In some modern publishers bindings super may not be used at all (or be of inferior quality) , with only a paper lining being glued down. Ideally, textblock spine linings should reinforce the glue and help hold the sections together.

SUPER is an open-weave variety of coarse sized fabric-usually muslin or something looking like cheesecloth-used for reinforcing or stiffening the text block of a casebound book. The super forms the first spine lining on a textblock spine of a casebound book.
    The excess (super hinge) that extends (usually one inch) beyond the edges of the textblock spine is used to attach the textblock to its case. It is also called mull, crash or super.

O.k, if you look carefully, you'll see that the paper lining extends to the edge of the spine, but not beyond.
    So it is a paper lining, not a crash, super or mull.

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference (well actually it DOES make a difference, but that's not important here).
    The point is, the lining is there to solidify the structure of the spine, but is not involved in attaching the textblock to the cover boards (as a crash/super/mull would be).

Here's what my omnibus looked like:

1. The book, without dust cover.

2. The spine, looking from above.

3. The spine, looking from below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 06-15-2014 at 08:07 AM.

So, you can see that the lining paper is coming away from the spine all the way along its length (I.e. top, bottom and in between). Also at the base the decorative headband ( which is sandwiched between the lining and the textblock spine) is coming away.

If anyone has an omnibus like this, if you peer underneath the lining paper and the headband, you will see just the back/ fold of the signatures and maybe just a little bit of glue.
    There is no second lining or crash/ super/ mull.
    Just worth noting. The point is, the lining needs to be glued to the spine. If it's not then there will be excess tension on the signatures when you open the book and eventually they will start to come apart.

To fix the problem you need some bookbinding (PVA) glue and a paint brush (see picture 1)
    PVA glue is what will have been used at the manufacturing process. The point is it dries quickly but is still flexible once dry, so you can open the book and flex the spine without it cracking.

So.. I squirted some of the glue on a saucer, then used the brush to paint the glue onto the back/ fold of the signatures and the INSIDE of the paper lining (obviously not the outside, that would glue the lining to the spine cover!).

I took a bit of time about this. You need to work from the top and bottom of the book to ensure the whole of the unglued area is covered. Obviously, if the defect doesn't extend along the whole of the spine, you only need to re-glue the area that is affected.

Once the lining is covered with glue it becomes very supple. I had to press it along the spine using a flat knife to ensure it was properly adhered.
    Some excess glue splurged out at the top and bottom of the spine and I just wiped it away with a bit of kitchen roll.

Then I put the book on the shelf, on its spine, for 12 hours until the glue was dry.

2. Shows the book from the top once it was dry.

3. Shows the book from the bottom
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 06-15-2014 at 08:11 AM.

So anyway...

Turns out the book is now as good as new!

In fact, even better, because now I know that the lining paper is properly glued to the textblock spine.

Seems like this is more of a problem with the newer Omnibi. Certainly my Stern Spidey and Fantastic Four Byrne volume 2 are a little bit this way, but Secret Wars II is one of the old line, so go figure.

I'll be tackling those two when I've got the time and energy!

The last two pictures show the spine of the re glued Secret Wars II Omnibus. This is what the brown lining paper should look like when properly glued.
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 06-15-2014 at 08:14 AM.

BANNED

Absolutely fantastic info Cerd! I've done some basic fixes like this before (really just touch ups where the cloth super has bubbled out) but detail at this level will help everyone in here, myself included, be able to maintain their books. I'd actually recommend that this post(s) gets linked to the front page of the thread. Everyone should see this.

Incredible Member

So anyway...

In fact, even better, because now I know that the lining paper is properly glued to the textblock spine.

Seems like this is more of a problem with the newer Omnibi. Certainly my Stern Spidey and Fantastic Four Byrne volume 2 are a little bit this way, but Secret Wars II is one of the old line, so go figure.

The last two pictures show the spine of the re glued Secret Wars Omnibus, this is what the brown lining paper should look like when properly glued.
    Thanks Cerd, after reading all of that, You defintely are a nerd!

Spectacular Member

Is Marvel ever going to make a third Omnibus of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four to finish off the series?

I sure hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Thanks Cerd, after reading all of that, You defintely are a nerd!
    Can't argue with reality.

Thanks to you and aquitaine for the appreciation.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

So anyway...

The last two pictures show the spine of the re glued Secret Wars II Omnibus. This is what the brown lining paper should look like when properly glued.
    Nice! I've never had any problems with any of my omnibi yet (knock on wood) but this will probably save me in the future. Thanks
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

GREAT JOB Cerd! Excellent details. Especially the picture of the glue bottle. Nice touch.

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by 39steps; 06-15-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

So anyway...

Hey Cerd, thanks for taking the time out to share this with us. Fantastic info.

And I agree that Cerd's posts should be llinked to the first page of the thread.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 39steps View Post
    141 pages of this new version of the thread.........

.........and no Merrick?!?
    Possibly posting under a new handle.

No DonEMC either.

These would be my top 3 most wanted wish list Omnibus from Marvel.

1. Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 3 #154-175 + Annuals
    2. Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 4 #176-209 + Annuals
    3. Moon Knight Omnibus Moench/Sienkiewicz material

And for reprints: The Nova run by Abnett and Lanning. Why that's not getting a re-reprint along with their Guardians of the Galaxy material is beyond odd to me with the film just around the corner.