Page 791 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 291691741781787788789790791792793794795801841891 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,865 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Frogtown View Post
    Avengers: Endless Wartime was so awful it turned me off from the entire line. Rage of Ultron has caught my interest but I'm still not going to to take a chance, especially with so many great releases left this year.
    I know. I felt a little dumber after reading Endless Wartime it was so bad. And I'm a huge Warren Ellis fan, so that made it worse.

Spiderman Family Business wasn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Spiderman Family Business wasn't that bad.
    Wasn't that great either. That's the problem. Marvel's current graphic novel line has some okay stories. It's the most ho-hum series of releases. None of them seem even remotely catching/ambitious/thought-provoking. They aren't even a great series of comic action stories. They would vanish if they were part of any comic's regular run.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Wasn't that great either. That's the problem. Marvel's current graphic novel line has some okay stories. It's the most ho-hum series of releases. None of them seem even remotely catching/ambitious/thought-provoking. They aren't even a great series of comic action stories. They would vanish if they were part of any comic's regular run.
    But that was to be expected since day 1. One of their big selling points was that every OGN would be part of regular continuity.

They are basically selling us a monthly mini and that has always been their goal.

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

I get what you're saying -- essentially that, b/c of the unique format, the OGNs should pretty much be home runs -- and I suppose that is a somewhat reasonable expectation.

Some people might argue that Starlin did try something a little out there w/ his Thanos OGN. I just thought it was particularly bad.

I don't know, Rage of Ultron just feels like a classic Avengers story to me (unlike Endless Wartime, the details of which I can't even remember anymore).

Spectacular Member

The problem I have with their OGNs is, that they all smell like they were printed in a cheese factory.... They smell like the cheese dip I can get in my cinema...

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frogtown View Post
    Avengers: Endless Wartime was so awful it turned me off from the entire line. Rage of Ultron has caught my interest but I'm still not going to to take a chance, especially with so many great releases left this year.
    I think the think with original graphic novels is it works best with the 80s ones - as nostalgia. Of course God Loves, Man Kills is the main one which jumps out to people, but regardless of the story quality there's something about the 80s ones which actually feel special, whether down to the art, creative teams, alternative page dimensions or something else. It simply jumps out as your bog-standard graphic novel, just without the covers every twenty pages which would have delineated it as a collection of a limited series.

Perhaps if Marvel were to truly exploit the medium, they could go a different route. Things like Sculptor and Seconds, I'm thinking of. They use the graphic novel to do something which could not be done in a 20 page comic book, but tell a story over a couple of hundred pages, as if it were actually a novel (and with a novel-sized page format, too).

I might read Rage of Ultron, but I seriously cannot deal with that pun.

I liked Family Business for the painted art, but that was about it.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    I liked Family Business for the painted art, but that was about it.
    It was also the first "current" Peter Parker story in over a year which helped a lot. But of course there is that ending......

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    I might read Rage of Ultron, but I seriously cannot deal with that pun.
    There's no pun here (first, that just b/c an "R" is added to a word that would otherwise be "Age" doesn't make it a pun). (Second) The title is justified by the story.

What would be the cheapest way to collect the Ennis Punisher Max series? The omni?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSun17 View Post
    What would be the cheapest way to collect the Ennis Punisher Max series? The omni?
    The omni only collects Aaron's stuff. Ennis's Punisher is collected in 5 OHC's with the 4th being extremely hard tp find. It's also collected in trades and those aren't all readily available either. It's kind of hard to collect it at the moment. It's why I'm holding off on collecting it for now.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    The omni only collects Aaron's stuff. Ennis's Punisher is collected in 5 OHC's with the 4th being extremely hard tp find. It's also collected in trades and those aren't all readily available either. It's kind of hard to collect it at the moment. It's why I'm holding off on collecting it for now.
    IIRC there is an Ennis Max omni as well (which is oop just like anything else). Just bought the first 3 trades then realised that 4 and 5 are the expensive ones. Damn...

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    IIRC there is an Ennis Max omni as well (which is oop just like anything else). Just bought the first 3 trades then realised that 4 and 5 are the expensive ones. Damn...
    No that's the 616 Punisher by Ennis omnibus. Ennis did 40 or so Punisher issues under the Marvel Knights imprint and 60 under the MAX imprint. The former is omni'd, the latter is only released in OHC's and trades.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    No that's the 616 Punisher by Ennis omnibus. Ennis did 40 or so Punisher issues under the Marvel Knights imprint and 60 under the MAX imprint. The former is omni'd, the latter is only released in OHC's and trades.
    ooooh, alright, thanks! I thought he went after like 20 issues to MAX and that got omni'd. My mistake. But anyway: COME ON MARVEL!!! KEEP THIS **** IN PRINT!!!

Good to see that I am not the only one that has trouble keeping this straight. Thank you for the feedback.