Page 574 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 744745245645705715725735745755765775785846246741074 ... LastLast
Results 8,596 to 8,610 of 17378
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier76 View Post
    Great collection!

My LCS didn't order my YA Omnibus, Trial of Cap Omnibus and Inferno Prelude OHC in time so I have wait until Friday to pick them up ������
    I saw the YA omnibus at my LCS and it's scary thin. The omnibus logo looks very weird on it. I wish they would have included Childreb's crusade and the original YA serie even tough I already own the YA OHC.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Amazing Member

So I have a question. Does you consider a sealed omnibus to be worth more than a NM omnibus in the exact same condition? The reason I ask is that I've seen sealed ones sell for less than opened yet pristine copies. And then I've also sometimes seen the opposite where bidders will pay an outrageous amount for a sealed copy while a perfectly fine non-sealed copy goes for under half what the sealed one did.

Quote Originally Posted by SevDelta View Post
    So I have a question. Does you consider a sealed omnibus to be worth more than a NM omnibus in the exact same condition? The reason I ask is that I've seen sealed ones sell for less than opened yet pristine copies. And then I've also sometimes seen the opposite where bidders will pay an outrageous amount for a sealed copy while a perfectly fine non-sealed copy goes for under half what the sealed one did.
    Sealed is more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by PrankT View Post
    Sealed is more valuable.
    Yep brand new should always fetch more than an open item. This goes pretty much for everything, even with minor defect to the sealed item.

Now if you are talking about a mint out of box item versus a sealed beat up item. That is a different story.

Attachment 13952Attachment 13951

There's a few of my Black Friday haul.
    And my shelf so far since it's mostly Marvel collected editions. However, once my complete haul comes in, I think I'll have almost filled that entire shelf unit.
    Hey is your Simonson thor omnibus sealed? And is it the variant cover?
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Sealed sells for more, God knows why. I'd rather have a book that's been opened and carefully inspected for defects than a sealed book with potential printing errors, missing pages/signatures, miscut/misaligned pages, pages out of order, missing word balloons, binding defects, or hidden damage under the slipcase/dust jacket.

I guess people are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for non archival highly acidic shrink-wrap that will contract, bending the dust cover and warping the boards, and eventually break down and permanently stick to and damage their books. That and the privilege of not being able to actually read their books.

(In case anyone is doubting the likelyhood of receiving a book with one of the above manufacturing defects, know that I have recieved no less than five such damaged books from four different publishers:

1 A copy of Fear agent library edition with a signature that was not attached to the spine.
    2 A copy of colossal conan with the lining detaching from the signatures
    3 A copy of Y: the last man deluxe with rips in the endpaper and first two pages.
    4 A copy of miracleman book one with a tear in the center of a page because the paper marvel uses is too thin to withstand their own manufacturing process
    5 One of four books in fantagraphics' EC slipcase with damage to the hinges

Had I not removed the Shrink and inspected the books within the return periods, all of these defects would have gone unnoticed and I would be stuck with defective copies.

I've also had books with minor defects under the slipcase that I did not feel were worth returning over, but were nonetheless undetectable while sealed:

Copies of absolute sandman 4 and absolute long halloween with small dents to the covers of the books
    A copy of absolute sandman 1 with a face plate that was not properly adhered
    A copy of absolute sandman 5 with scratches on the face of the book and imprints from a clamp on some of the pages.
    Big damn sin city with 1/4 of the pages glued together at the edge (I managed to unstick them without ripping or wrinkling the pages but they still stick back together)
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 12-03-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I placed my order for Trial of CA and YA today.
    IST seems to be behind though cause my Black Friday order from last Friday hasn't shipped yet.

Unless I miss my count I have 60(counting the two above) Marvel Omnibus books out of the 100 they've done. Only missing about 6 +/- that I'd like to have the rest I'm ok with not having.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I placed my order for Trial of CA and YA today.
    IST seems to be behind though cause my Black Friday order from last Friday hasn't shipped yet.
    My B&N order from thursday still hasn't shipped. I guess black friday has slowed everyone down.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Sealed sells for more, God knows why. I'd rather have a book that's been opened and carefully inspected for defects than a sealed book with potential printing errors, missing pages/signatures, miscut/misaligned pages, pages out of order, missing word balloons, binding defects, or hidden damage under the slipcase/dust jacket.

I guess people are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for non archival highly acidic shrink-wrap that will contract, bending the dust cover and warping the boards, and eventually break down and permanently stick to and damage their books. That and the privilege of not being able to actually read their books.

(In case anyone is doubting the likelyhood of receiving a book with one of the above manufacturing defects, know that I have recieved no less than five such damaged books from four different publishers:

1 A copy of Fear agent library edition with a signature that was not attached to the spine.
    2 A copy of colossal conan with the lining detaching from the signatures
    3 A copy of Y: the last man deluxe with rips in the endpaper and first two pages.
    4 A copy of miracleman book one with a tear in the center of a page because the paper marvel uses is too thin to withstand their own manufacturing process
    5 One of four books in fantagraphics' EC slipcase with damage to the hinges

Had I not removed the Shrink and inspected the books within the return periods, all of these defects would have gone unnoticed and I would be stuck with defective copies.

I've also had books with minor defects under the slipcase that I did not feel were worth returning over, but were nonetheless undetectable while sealed:

Copies of absolute sandman 4 and absolute long halloween with small dents to the covers of the books
    A copy of absolute sandman 1 with a face plate that was not properly adhered
    A copy of absolute sandman 5 with scratches on the face of the book and imprints from a clamp on some of the pages.
    I think you make an informed point here. Since my experience is that Marvel omnibuses have about a 25% defect rate ranging from small (but annoying in a $100 book) all the way to huge (ripped pages or pages glued together), it would be nice to have an opened copy (so you know what you're getting) unless the seller has a good return policy. There's nothing like dropping $75 on a sealed omnibus only to find hidden factory defects waiting for you! I always open my books up immediately to inspect them since Marvel has burned me so many times with cheap Chinese labor.

If there were two copies of a book I wanted and one was sealed if I could physically see both and they were outwardly identical I'd take the unsealed if it had nothing wrong with it for reasons above. If it was a book I absolutely had to have but could only get online and there was the usual single photo of the cover I'd go for sealed based on the hope that it had been treated better because the general consensus is they are worth more.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Hey is your Simonson thor omnibus sealed? And is it the variant cover?
    My Simonson Thor is the regular cover but it is still sealed. A lot of my books are still sealed unless I bought them opened.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

It's depressing when you buy these expensive books and they start falling apart on us. My Wolverine Omnibus is a book that I took the plastic off but never got around to reading and the binding is already separating. :/
    I have an excellent solution! Give the book to me and you'll never again have to gaze upon its diminished glory!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    If there were two copies of a book I wanted and one was sealed if I could physically see both and they were outwardly identical I'd take the unsealed if it had nothing wrong with it for reasons above. If it was a book I absolutely had to have but could only get online and there was the usual single photo of the cover I'd go for sealed based on the hope that it had been treated better because the general consensus is they are worth more.
    I feel like you take a bit of a gamble with sealed books, especially since the seller doesn't usually list defects when it's sealed. I've gotten 2 omnibus titles that I still have sealed but have major visible defects. My Fall of the Mutants omnibus and my Inferno Crossovers both are crooked and sit funny on a shelf. I feel like had I bought them opened, the seller would have made that known.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Congrats to the Marvel omnibus line as we have hit the 100th omnibus title (reprints do not count)

Now since two omnibus titles were released this week. You can say either Captain America: The Trial of Captain America or the Young Avengers is number 100.

Cheers for the next 100 releases and support beams to hold your collections.
    After a quick glance I have 46 of them with two more (Trial of Cap and YA) on the way. With those two this will have been my biggest year for Omnibus
    AoA Companion
    Uncanny X-Men 2
    Wolverine and the X-Men
    Uncanny X-Force
    Stern Spidey
    Marvel 75
    Infinity Gauntlet
    Deadpool Cable
    Deadpool Mini
    Deadpool by Kelly
    Annihilation
    And OZ

Better year for me and marvel books than I though. It's not even counting the omnis I got this year that were printed before 2014.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I have an excellent solution! Give the book to me and you'll never again have to gaze upon its diminished glory!
    Har har har!! Well now I'll just read it and if it gets reprinted, I'll sell it and use the money for the reprint. :P