Page 431 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 331381421427428429430431432433434435441481531931 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,465 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    If you believe Ages are not date specific, but a style, I could see the argument that this was the last of the Bronze Age.
    I thought someone might make an argument for style vs. time frame and immediately wondered if that would make Byrne's X-Men Hidden Years Bronze Age or Kurt Busiek's Untold Tales of Spider-Man Silver Age even though both are from the late 90s? I think you can define Silver Age, Bronze Age, and so forth as a style that existed at a particular moment in time--the "official" start or ending of said periods are debatable, but I'd argue WCA is well past Marvel's Bronze Age period which many claim ended at the start of Secret Wars with its first of a kind year long event.

So if wca isn't bronze age, what is it?

Death of the Captain America Omnibus for $87.95 brand new on Amazon marketplace....

Go go go if you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Death of the Captain America Omnibus for $87.95 brand new on Amazon marketplace....

Holy crap thanks a lot! Just bought it.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Holy crap thanks a lot! Just bought it.
    Aw dangit, were there several copies up or just that one?
    Kind've odd for it to pop up all of a sudden like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Aw dangit, were there several copies up or just that one?
    Kind've odd for it to pop up all of a sudden like that.
    Just one I think. There isn't another listing at that price.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post

Someone here beat me to it, as I might have paid that for a new copy.

I've been monitoring this book on Ebay and it's slowly dropping in price from the $150+ that it was getting not too long ago. In the last week, one went for $110.50 (free shipping) and another for $112.50 ($10 shipping).

Oddly enough, in the past month, the first Brubaker Cap omni has climbed in price, hitting the $130ish mark where it was going for $80-$90 just months prior.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Someone here beat me to it, as I might have paid that for a new copy.

I've been monitoring this book on Ebay and it's slowly dropping in price from the $150+ that it was getting not too long ago. In the last week, one went for $110.50 (free shipping) and another for $112.50 ($10 shipping).

Oddly enough, in the past month, the first Brubaker Cap omni has climbed in price, hitting the $130ish mark where it was going for $80-$90 just months prior.
    Sorry I got the omnibus lol. But yeah I've noticed the price change also it's weird that they're balancing out.

Could it be that not many of them were selling at that price point and the lowered prices were sellers re-adjusting prices?

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    That's called the Chrome Age by some fans, my friend.

Personally I simplify it and say:
    The Golden Age are the 40s-50s!
    The Silver Age are the 60s!
    The Bronze Age are the 70s!
    The Chrome Age are the 80s!

When, of course, the Golden Age goes through 1960 and 61 too. Some people argue the Silver Age didn't end until Gwen Stacy died or Stan Lee stopped writing a book. Meanwhile, there's a big evolution through the early 70s to the mid-80s, and we place it under one definition. And a fair number disagree with the Chrome distinction too. Anything after that is the modern age, I think. Which is fair enough for the last 15 years and digital art and "trade waiting", but before then the 90s was very, well... 90s.

Is Marvelman Classic worth it? Does it add anything at all to reading Miracleman?

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    That's called the Chrome Age by some fans, my friend.

Personally I simplify it and say:
    The Golden Age are the 40s-50s!
    The Silver Age are the 60s!
    The Bronze Age are the 70s!
    The Chrome Age are the 80s!

When, of course, the Golden Age goes through 1960 and 61 too. Some people argue the Silver Age didn't end until Gwen Stacy died or Stan Lee stopped writing a book. Meanwhile, there's a big evolution through the early 70s to the mid-80s, and we place it under one definition. And a fair number disagree with the Chrome distinction too. Anything after that is the modern age, I think. Which is fair enough for the last 15 years and digital art and "trade waiting", but before then the 90s was very, well... 90s.
    If any age deserves to be tagged "Chrome Age" it's definitely the 90s. There were 'chrome foil' covers and all sorts of gimmicks then.

The majority of fans and critics generally cite the mid-80s (1984 Secret Wars ~1986 DKR) as the end of the Bronze Age. Everything after that is considered 'Modern.' I have seen some sites refer to the period of 1985 to the crash late 90s-era as the "Copper Age" but it has never caught on.

WCA is a 'modern era' book by that definition although it obviously differs drastically in style to anything of the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    I don't know..."retro" like Untold Tales of Spidey or X-Men Hidden Years?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I really want a PAD Hulk Omni, but I know the likelihood of Marvel finishing out PAD's run in Omni form is a bit of a long shot (at least the prospect of them finishing it within a decade). Wouldn't it take like 4-5 omnis to encapsulate it all? This begs the question: Is it better to have omni'd and lost than to never have omni'd at all?
    To my mind PAD's Hulk is the biggest outstanding non-Omnibus'd Marvel work. Hulk has been a tentpole Marvel character forever... yet he only has one Omnibus? Through the '80s and '90s I remember PAD's Hulk being spoken of as second only to Claremont's X-Men in terms of great runs by a writer who was on one property for a long time. It should obviously be Omnibus'd. For the first 2-3 volumes they'd have big-name artists to advertise along with it. McFarlane's name still means something in terms of shifting units. And if they ever got to the later volumes, well, there is Adam Kubert.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I knew it! Who doesn't like paper that doesn't suck? When you have a collection you really enjoy, you want it done right.
    For something like Infinity, I don't mind if there's really thin paper. If that means I only have to pay $30-some dollars, which means I can basically get an OHC edition for free after trading in my single issues, then I'm all for it. And I don't mind the somewhat thinner Omnibus paper for something like New X-Men, because for me it isn't "too thin" and helps the single volume be more manageable. Nor, on the other hand, do I much care for certain earlier Omnibuses, which had heavier paper but whose binding was kind of stiff and blocky, like they bound too many pages per fold-over or whatever. (Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining that very well, but my Silver Age Hulk Omnibuses were all that way.)

But, yes, absolutely, when thick paper is done right, there's nothing better. And for things like Wolverine and Simonson's Thor, you just feel like you're holding the best possible representation of the material. Those Omnibuses are worth it because they'll probably never, ever be published in so nice a manner again. That's part of why I bought them the other day even though I was already overbudget: because in addition to probably never finding them for so cheap ever again, on the slight chance that these volumes will ever be reprinted, it would certainly be on far cheaper paperstock anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Weapon X is the single best Wolverine Origin story ever, no competition.
    Absolutely. It's the best Wolverine story period. It basically transcends the genre of superhero/X-Men story. It's basically literary science fiction and can stand beside Clockwork Orange or Philip K. Dick works and things like that.
    Last edited by DarkBeast; 10-06-2014 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I stated before that WCA is not top notch material. Goofy and corny it is indeed. I still just have a real problem with marvel choosing this material to restore and reprint in a $100 omnibus edition. A lot of time, money and resources must go into producing these volumes and it seems to me that there is a vast array of far superior material to put all this effort into. (How on Stan Lee's blessed blue and green planet we have 2 WCA omnis plus an Avengers the crossing Omni and no Hulk by PAD is a mystery for the ages.) Really, wouldn't a couple of Epic collections be enough for WCA?
    They already had the material ready to go from the MPCs. All they had to do was repackage it in Omni format.