Page 941 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 4418418919319379389399409419429439449459519911041 ... LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,115 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by cory817 View Post
    I can't decide what's better when having an omnibus signed, to get the title page signed or just the dust jacket. It would be so much easier to just carry the dust jacket and not have to lug a heavy book around, but the title page seems much more official. It's for my own personal use and just for fun, wouldn't resell. I was also thinking about getting that 75th Marvel anniversary signed by several but there really isn't a good title page and the cover is kinda cluttered.

I don't know just thinking out loud, wondered what other people do.
    I liked to get them signed. Hell I took my Wolverine Adamantium collection with me last year to Comic-Con to have Jason Aaron and Jim Lee sign it.

Bendis told me last time to just bring the dust jacket to get them signed instead of lugging them around with me.

I can't decide what's better when having an omnibus signed, to get the title page signed or just the dust jacket. It would be so much easier to just carry the dust jacket and not have to lug a heavy book around, but the title page seems much more official. It's for my own personal use and just for fun, wouldn't resell. I was also thinking about getting that 75th Marvel anniversary signed by several but there really isn't a good title page and the cover is kinda cluttered.

Title page or inside cover. Besides taking a chance it wears off the dust jacket when on the shelf, you could come upon an artist willing to do a quick sketch along with the signature. So you'll want lots of empty space for them to fill.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I don't like getting books signed on the cover when they write over the art. It just bothers me. I'd rather they signed inside the book
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by awalk1227 View Post
    Grabbed the Inhumans OHC by Jenkins and Lee for a few reasons. I don't know if there's any merit to this but:

-It's not in stock on Instocktrades currently

-Marvel has solicited the TPB version of it to come out this year

For some reason my gut tells me they'll be letting the OHC run out and will use the TPB from here on out. Can anyone confirm if this is a pattern with any previous Marvel releases?
    They remaindered the OSHC off several months ago. That print run is likely done in favor of TPB for a while. But you never know. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a new hardcover edition closer to the movie, but that's a long way away.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    @cory

I have a signed Daredevil Omni, and a few other signed hardcovers and art books. I don't usually bring dust jackets anywhere, but in my experience, the writer/artist usually just opened the book and signs it. I've never even though about asking them to sign a specific part. Also, with dust jackets being so glossy and some creators using those metallic gel pens or dark markers to sign stuff, I would worry it could wipe off easily.

The only time I've had covers signed is for some TPBs I have.
    I got my Daredevil Companion and Elektra Omnibus signed. Had Bill Sienkiewicz sign the title page where they list the creator's names. He signed with something that looked like a standard Sharpie, but it was actually a paint pen/marker. I closed the books too soon and the signature partially messed up the opposite pages when I tried to re-open the pages. It's not terribly damaged but it's less than ideal.

I went for the title page because I thought that was better than on the cover or inside the cover. (I didn't bring the dust jackets to this convention.)

I really like his art so if I could do it again I'd still get his signature. I'd just be more annoying and leave my Omnibuses open on his table to dry out for a couple of minutes.

I think a standard Sharpie would have done less damage and would have dried quicker than the paint pen.

Some people feel signatures actually devalue the books if they're not certified. I probably devalued those two Omnis slightly by damaging those pages with the paint pen signature, but oh well. It's just the title pages, the books are still perfectly readable (which is what we theoretically buy these things for, right?) and they're still OOP, so it's not a huge loss.

I've gotten a couple omnibi signed and I always ask for a sketch. Feel like that increases value for sure.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

All-New Member

I was thinking about getting a book signed and sketched but with the sketch, do they attract the commission prices?

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I got my Daredevil Companion and Elektra Omnibus signed. Had Bill Sienkiewicz sign the title page where they list the creator's names. He signed with something that looked like a standard Sharpie, but it was actually a paint pen/marker. I closed the books too soon and the signature partially messed up the opposite pages when I tried to re-open the pages. It's not terribly damaged but it's less than ideal.

I went for the title page because I thought that was better than on the cover or inside the cover. (I didn't bring the dust jackets to this convention.)

I really like his art so if I could do it again I'd still get his signature. I'd just be more annoying and leave my Omnibuses open on his table to dry out for a couple of minutes.

I think a standard Sharpie would have done less damage and would have dried quicker than the paint pen.

Some people feel signatures actually devalue the books if they're not certified. I probably devalued those two Omnis slightly by damaging those pages with the paint pen signature, but oh well. It's just the title pages, the books are still perfectly readable (which is what we theoretically buy these things for, right?) and they're still OOP, so it's not a huge loss.
    Yeah, I think I'm mistaking those paint pens you mention for gel pens. I'm not really sure what they are, but I actually have a blob in an art book because I closed it too soon. The worst part is, he signed a specific page that he had done, and not just the interior. But live and learn I guess.

To be honest I would not trust any online sales of signed books unless they were certified or verifiable.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonix View Post
    I was thinking about getting a book signed and sketched but with the sketch, do they attract the commission prices?
    just say can I get a quick sketch/doodle. Most likely they won't charge for commission prices but varies by artist though.

Jimmy Palmiotti drew a Punisher on my Garth Ennis omnibus. I didn't ask for one he just did it on his own.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1073786

Mike Choi and Terry Dodson drew on my Second Coming hardcover as well.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1206151

Some do others don't. It depends on what kind of sketch your looking for (a $60 dollar sketch will be of better quality that a freebie), who the artist is, and when your able to catch them. Most of these guys and gals spend the entire weekend churning out sketch after sketch. Sometimes they feel appreciated for their efforts other times taken advantage of.

20140629_225100.jpg
    20140629_225246.jpg
    20140629_225027.jpg

All-New Member

Nah I understand, I went to get the Fear Agent Library Editions signed by Tony Moore and saw his commission prices so I was afraid to ask; I can understand why he charges that much but I just didn't have the amount on me and didn't want to be embarrassed by that. Haha.

Depends. When Silvestri did a Logan sketch in my X-Men: Inferno, it was because I was the last person in line. Nice guy, but popular so limited to what he can do for you. The year after, he started a process where he keeps autograph and sketch lines separate, capping off each one to make sure he gets to everyone in each line. Same for JRJR. He had to be dragged away by his people, didn't want to stop. Real class act, you can tell he loves his fans and wants each of them to be happy. David Mack did a great Daredevil ink and brush sketch in my Bendis Omnibus. Whilce Portacio said he couldn't, but looking at his commission work, I don't think he's much of a quick sketch guy. Generally, the longer the line, the less likely it'll happen. When they're sitting at a table without a line and they're willing to do the sketch, I find it's classy to buy one of their items directly from them as thanks. I also feel like they're more willing when it's an omnibus size book. Kind of a reward for lugging those things around a crowded con.

Understand though that if they do a freebie, you probably aren't getting a commission worthy illustration. It really is just a sketch. Looks great inside a book, but nothing you would want framed.

I'm dying to see the Mack illustration. My soul burns with envy. I had a rather in depth conversation with him at PHXCC a few yeats ago but was too intimidated to ask for a sketch.
    Last edited by Busby; 05-24-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Depends. When Silvestri did a Logan sketch in my X-Men: Inferno, it was because I was the last person in line. Nice guy, but popular so limited to what he can do for you. The year after, he started a process where he keeps autograph and sketch lines separate, capping off each one to make sure he gets to everyone in each line. Same for JRJR. He had to be dragged away by his people, didn't want to stop. Real class act, you can tell he loves his fans and wants each of them to be happy. David Mack did a great Daredevil ink and brush sketch in my Bendis Omnibus. Whilce Portacio said he couldn't, but looking at his commission work, I don't think he's much of a quick sketch guy. Generally, the longer the line, the less likely it'll happen. When they're sitting at a table without a line and they're willing to do the sketch, I find it's classy to buy one of their items directly from them as thanks. I also feel like they're more willing when it's an omnibus size book. Kind of a reward for lugging those things around a crowded con.

Understand though that if they do a freebie, you probably aren't getting a commission worthy illustration. It really is just a sketch. Looks great inside a book, but nothing you would want framed.
    If he wants them to be happy, why does he draw like that nowadays??? Give me the JRjr from pre-1986 any day.

Amazing Member

What do you guys think the odds are that some kind of Death of Wolverine Omnibus is produced? I know there's no method to the madness as far as what gets made or not, but I've been kinda interested in reading this story and it just seems kinda unruly to be honest. Between the Killable arc, which seems kinda necessary, and the actual death story to the Legacy issues and then the Wolverines series, I don't really know how to go about tackling it. I know I really don't want to collect a bunch of trades have 4-6 issues a piece. In this circumstance, it really seems like an omnibus would be the most convenient way to collect a story that runs across so many issues of so many titles. Thoughts?