Page 1057 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 5755795710071047105310541055105610571058105910601061106711071157 ... LastLast
Results 15,841 to 15,855 of 17378
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    It's a very 'appeal to collectors' heavy list, but equally it's only really collectors buying the books. Be interesting to see what we get from the list between now and next years, see if any sort of pattern forms
    Honestly, I'd say it's a very 'appeal to older collectors' heavy list. A lot of it came out 30+ years ago and just doesn't resonate with a lot of younger collectors.

With a new Black Panther book coming out and the movie I'd love to see the Priest run collected in a giant Omnibus. All fifty odd issues and throw The Crew in there for fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    It's not, unfortunately. I think maybe next month and September they'll all start showing up.
    Ah okay, I'm so far behind the MU stuff that I'll put this on hold for now and wait till all the issues are out.

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    Honestly, I'd say it's a very 'appeal to older collectors' heavy list. A lot of it came out 30+ years ago and just doesn't resonate with a lot of younger collectors.
    No offense, but I wouldn't make that statement without knowing the ages of the folks who voted. I know a lot of "younger collectors" who are into the 70s and 80s stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    With a new Black Panther book coming out and the movie I'd love to see the Priest run collected in a giant Omnibus. All fifty odd issues and throw The Crew in there for fun too.
    Ditto!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    No offense, but I wouldn't make that statement without knowing the ages of the folks who voted. I know a lot of "younger collectors" who are into the 70s and 80s stuff.
    Id have to agree, there are many people in around my age group that enjoy the retro hokey ages of silver and bronze. Granted, these people are definitely hipsters who buy lps and think typewriters and waxed moustaches are still cool, but i still think they are technically classified as people.

Oh and i think its funny someone said the list was a "collectors list" almost as if the list was made by a bunch of collectors....

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Id have to agree, there are many people in around my age group that enjoy the retro hokey ages of silver and bronze. Granted, these people are definitely hipsters who buy lps and think typewriters and waxed moustaches are still cool, but i still think they are technically classified as people.
    Those crazy hipsters and liking to read the stories that originated these characters and provide back story that writers still use today. Just ludicrous.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Those crazy hipsters and liking to read the stories that originated these characters and provide back story that writers still use today. Just ludicrous.
    Im just saying for the person who didnt believe they existed, they exist. They just hide in plain sight. And under fedoras

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Im just saying for the person who didnt believe they existed, they exist. They just hide in plain sight. And under fedoras
    Skinny brimed fedoras. With suspenders and a belt.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Here's what happened between the second and third annual surveys:

(...)
    Over one-third of this year's results are new entrants:

War of Kings (#11), FF vol. 4 (#12), Avengers vol. 3 (#16), New Avengers (#19), Killraven (#21), New Warriors vol. 2 (#24), Realm of Kings (#27), X-Factor (1986) vol. 1 (#30), Avengers by Hickman vol. 1 (#35), Warlock (#37), Miracle Man (#38), Daredevil by Waid (#39), Avengers: Galactic Storm (#40), Spider-Man by McFarlane (#41), X-Force vol. 2 (#44 - tie), Rom vol. 1 (#44 - tie), Horror Essentials (#47), Black Widow by Edmonson/Noto (#48), Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (#50 - tie)
    "Realm of Kings/War of Kings" is not really a new entry but rather a Guardians of the Galaxy by DNA replacement, no?

Looking to start reading my next omni at work, really should read something old like AOA but it is really too big to lug around, one of the smaller books I have to read is Aaron's Wolverine, does it matter reading it out of order? As I probably have about 20 omnis to read that are set before it

Or should I read an event, like age of ultron or siege? Bearing in mind I still have to read the new avenger and new xmen omnis

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    What do you mean? Not enough blood and gore with the comic book violence? Not enough enough swearing? Too many big words from writers' with a college education? I don't get it?

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    What do you mean? Not enough blood and gore with the comic book violence? Not enough enough swearing? Too many big words from writers' with a college education? I don't get it?
    I think he/she is referring to the writing style used many years ago ala Chris Claremont etc. Some of us (I'm a youngish reader at 22 I'd say) prefer modern storytelling over the over cooked narrative many writers had adopted as commonplace in the 80's. Plus production value is light years ahead in modern comics in coloring.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

My problem with older material, moreso than the writing (which admittedly, I'm not too fond of) is the art. Give me a Ribic, Opena, Walker, Andrade or Robbi Rodríguez over Kirby, Ditko or Romita any day of the week. Blasphemy, I know.

Pretty much every silver age comic is an easy pass for me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    That's why I said a lot of them, not a majority or all of them

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Do you actually read modern comics? Or are you too high up on your pedestal to give the lowly pieces of work a chance?

Personally, I hate blood and gore. I don't particularly like swearing. I have an undergraduate degree and a master's degree. None of your points even make the slightest bit of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Reading those first stories for historical reasons is a good example of my argument being wrong, honestly. To see where it all began is definitely an interesting experience, even if it's not always entertaining.
    Last edited by TehJofus; 07-27-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Aaron's Wolverine, does it matter reading it out of order? As I probably have about 20 omnis to read that are set before it

Or should I read an event, like age of ultron or siege? Bearing in mind I still have to read the new avenger and new xmen omnis
    Aaron's Wolverine is not out of continuity but neither is it really beholden to it. The Wolverine: Weapon X series, which makes up the bulk of it, was specifically set alongside continuity to be "new reader friendly". Aaron specifically mentioned that in the lead up to the series' debut.