Page 552 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 524525025425485495505515525535545555565626026521052 ... LastLast
Results 8,266 to 8,280 of 17378
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    At least try the deals thread out before complaining, it's already up to 3 pages.

If you have complaints pm me or SJNeal about it. It's not a topic up for discussion at this stage.

Aquitaine you were already banned previously , and only post here because you contribute. Please go back to contributing.
    Fair enough. Guess we don't have a choice. I'll stop posting on the topic.

I contribute to this thread because I thoroughly enjoy these discussions. If I didn't care about these topics and talking about how much we love these big beautiful books, I wouldn't have come back. But this is the best place on the Internet to discuss these things, there really isn't another viable alternative at this point. (I mean, there is the marvel masterworks site, but it's slower and much more laser focused then even the new order here)

Anyway. On-topic.

I have yet to pick up the Hawkeye OHC. I keep seeing a lot of dissent about this book. Most people seem to agree that the art is good, but viewpoints about the writing seem to differ drastically. I keep seeing the work 'hipster' attached to it. How is the writing hipster? I ask because I generally dislike hipsterish stuff, but I like Hawkeye and given all the expensive books climbing in price lately, my money is not stretching as far as it used to so I want to be sure I won't hate the book.
    Last edited by aquitaine; 11-24-2014 at 02:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    You also equate silence as a not-agreeing-with-the-new-rule. If people agree with the new rule, why would they necessarily post about it?
    No, I did no such thing. I have counted silent people neither for or against.

I am basing my point on the posts that have been made so far which should be abundantly clear to you. The fact is: More people have posted against the rule than for. period. It's not a debate. I'm absolutely not counting people who have been silent. The numbers are the numbers. The majority on this is exceedingly clear thus far. Could it change? Sure. But at this point the majority who have commented dislike the change. That is a fact, it's not something you may refute.

Anyway, I'd appreciate if you'd stop flame-baiting me, I already said to Inferno above that I would stop this conversation, but if you insist on baiting me, you're no better than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Suriel View Post
    Why not post banners and direct links? That would make a great "discussion"...
    Hyperbole that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand and you know it. Nobody is advocating banners and ads.
    Last edited by aquitaine; 11-24-2014 at 02:31 PM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    No, I did no such thing. I have counted silent people neither for or against.

I am basing my point on the posts that have been made so far which should be abundantly clear to you. The fact is: More people have posted against the rule than for. period. It's not a debate. I'm absolutely not counting people who have been silent. The numbers are the numbers. The majority on this is exceedingly clear thus far. Could it change? Sure. But at this point the majority who have commented dislike the change. That is a fact, it's not something you may refute.

Anyway, I'd appreciate if you'd stop flame-baiting me, I already said to Inferno above that I would stop this conversation, but if you insist on baiting me, you're no better than anyone else.
    What about we just shut this topic down for a week or two and continue it then, when we know better if we like it or not. Or should we open a new thread to discuss this change (sorry, couldn't help it )
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What about we just shut this topic down for a week or two and continue it then, when we know better if we like it or not.
    That's pretty much what's happening as far as I can tell.

Spectacular Member

On-topic.
    I have yet to pick up the Hawkeye OHC. I keep seeing a lot of dissent about this book. Most people seem to agree that the art is good, but viewpoints about the writing seem to differ drastically. I keep seeing the work 'hipster' attached to it. How is the writing hipster? I ask because I generally dislike hipsterish stuff, but I like Hawkeye and given all the expensive books climbing in price lately, my money is not stretching as far as it used to so I want to be sure I won't hate the book.
    That is more or less what I did. I have the OHC Vol 1 in my shelf and wait for the Vol 2 to come out. Then I will read it. Same with FF by Hickman. After the praise here and on other sides, I bought Vol 1 and now that Vol 2 came out I bought that one too. Now I can read it, after I have finished Atlantis Attacks, which I find quite fun to read. I am one of those guys that don't like to wait so long before beeing able to continue reading.
    What made me buy the Hawkeye, clearly was the artwork. Storywise that is totally reader dependend as the liking of a certain graphics style is. For instance the art in the recent Punisher Omni looks like the one from the artist Bourgeon, which I generally don't like. The story however, or better: the bits and pieces I saw on themovieblog were great and well structured. So I ordered that one. Sometimes graphics can compensate for a lame story and vice versa.
    Last edited by Suriel; 11-24-2014 at 02:40 PM.

We will give it a trial till the new year, then will see what the community thinks.
    If you have complaints pm me or SJNeal about it. It's not a topic up for discussion at this stage.
    So is it a done deal or will we get a poll of some kind in the new year?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Suriel View Post
    That is more or less what I did. I have the OHC Vol 1 in my shelf and wait for the Vol 2 to come out. Then I will read it. Same with FF by Hickman. After the praise here and on other sides, I bought Vol 1 and now that Vol 2 came out I bought that one too. Now I can read it, after I have finished Atlantis Attacks, which I find quite fun to read. I am one of those guys that don't like to wait so long before beeing able to continue reading.
    What made me buy the Hawkeye, clearly was the artwork. Storywise that is totally reader dependend as the liking of a certain graphics style is. For instance the art in the recent Punisher Omni looks like the one from the artist Bourgeon, which I generally don't like. The story however, or better: the bits and pieces I saw on themovieblog were great and well structured. So I ordered that one. Sometimes graphics can compensate for a lame story and vice versa.
    Same with FF by Hickman. After the praise here and on other sides, I bought Vol 1 and now that Vol 2 came out I bought that one too. Now I can read it, after I have finished Atlantis Attacks, which I find quite fun to read.
    Artwork alone doesn't really do it for me if I don't enjoy the writing or I would have enjoyed Bendys's dreadful Guardians of the Galaxy run which has some amazing artwork but terrible storytelling.

I guess I may just have to buy an issue on Comixology or something to see if I like it first.

An aside: Yay for another person who enjoys Atlantis Attacks! This thread seems to universally dislike that book but I love it. I fully admit that it may be nostalgia goggles though because those books were coming out when I was a kid newly into comics.

Spectacular Member

Hyperbole that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand and you know it. Nobody is advocating banners and ads.
    What I know or you think I know is irrelevant. My point is that the praised discussions that are connected to the ads are not a discussion at all. It's a repetetitive sum of monologues, and just a lame excuse to look it up by everyone else on B&N or Amazon or IST or CheapComics which isn't that hard in the first place. That's normally the first thing I do when I look for a comic that I am interested in. Bookmarks are invented for that for crying out loud. And the information I can get that a local comic books store has this insane cheap offer of out of print books in the outscirts of a tiny city somewhere in California is almost none, as I live in Old Europe.

Spectacular Member

An aside: Yay for another person who enjoys Atlantis Attacks! This thread seems to universally dislike that book but I love it. I fully admit that it may be nostalgia goggles though because those books were coming out when I was a kid newly into comics.
    ) I have loughed out loud when some guys of the Atlantean Attack Force are standing in the middle of the desert and Firebird asks them "what will you do with your conquests" and they pause, look at each other and just don't know what to say other than that they haven't thought that thing through. That moment was really funny and a good example that stands for the whole whacky concept and is a brilliant commentary by Fabian Nicieza on the whole event. Lets be honest: The concept alone if ridiculous, but the stories are quite good.
    Last edited by Suriel; 11-24-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Spectacular Member

Maybe people enjoy talking about these things, did that ever occur to you?
    Maybe I am too old for that and define discussion and talking about that topic differently than you or others. But perhaps the concept resembles more a review where you are flipping through a book nowadays, something that has nothing to do with some text or substance related to it...
    Last edited by Suriel; 11-24-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Artwork alone doesn't really do it for me if I don't enjoy the writing or I would have enjoyed Bendys's dreadful Guardians of the Galaxy run which has some amazing artwork but terrible storytelling.

I guess I may just have to buy an issue on Comixology or something to see if I like it first.

Its spreading. Yyyeeeeesssss.

And I feel like I should chime in. I don't like the separate deal thread. Its extremely inconvenient to have to flip through an entire other thread full of stuff that's completely irrelevant to me.
    Last edited by FlashingSabre; 11-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.
    Cyclops was right

BANNED

With the BN Code + Black Friday, i'll be getting Howard the Duck Omnibus, Watchmen Absolute edition and V for Vendetta. 8)

Like all things Fraction, it's not nearly as good as the praise in my opinion. It's fine and I liked the idea of what goes on with one of the street-iest level super heroes on the Avengers in his down time. There are some good bits but I kept waiting for it to hit the awesomeness I was sold on. That never really happens but I enjoyed it and would be willing to read it again. Something I can't say for every book I own.

It's kind of like "a day in the life of" sort of thing. I don't know if hipster is the right word but it feels kind of indie.

I haven't read anything from volume 2 but what I hear is that (also typical of Fraction) it takes a serious nose dive.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Like all things Fraction, it's not nearly as good as the praise in my opinion. It's fine and I liked the idea of what goes on with one of the street-iest level super heroes on the Avengers in his down time. There are some good bits but I kept waiting for it to hit the awesomeness I was sold on. That never really happens but I enjoyed it and would be willing to read it again. Something I can't say for every book I own.

It's kind of like "a day in the life of" sort of thing. I don't know if hipster is the right word but it feels kind of indie.

I haven't read anything from volume 2 but what I hear is that (also typical of Fraction) it takes a serious nose dive.
    just read the first ohc for the first time a few days ago and your review is spot-on. still i felt that the latter issues in the volume were growing on me, and i was starting to root for the a-bit-too-stereotypical-looser-hawkguy. haven't decide if i will buy the second volume, though. BUT i just got the two hc volumes of his iron man run and they were a bit pricey. really hope they deliver...

Hawkeye vol. 1 is great stuff, the book starts to waver in the second volume. Mostly because Aja is not contributing as much, a lot of the story shifts to Kate Bishop/her own supporting cast and the gimmicks get too gimmicky.