Page 1021 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 215219219711011101710181019102010211022102310241025103110711121 ... LastLast
Results 15,301 to 15,315 of 17378
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

When did Fall of the Mutants OHC suddenly get rare?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Olslick View Post
    Marvel gets 100% of all money from merchandising FF and X-Men. The argument that they're downplaying those brands is based on the idea that they want to diminish them in the public eye in order to gain bargaining leverage over Fox as a means of getting film rights back.

And it is undeniably true that this is happening in every medium with the exception of comics. Whether or not that continues to be the case remains to be seen, but it does seem as though there are editorial mandates in place regarding the characters which is already a big turn off for fans. I only hope it doesn't carry over to the collected editions department.

THIS!

This is the most intelligent response to my comment about Marvel trying to hold back on FF - instead of the knee jerk reaction from other posters that they're not. As much as I think Brevoort is a d-bag he even addressed the situation and defended Marvel's lack of FF enthusiasm.

Just because they've released a few books doesn't mean there's not a subtle protest going on.

Marvel/Disney will in fact cut the nose off to spite the face if they think in the long-run it will help them.

Business that know how to make money do this.

Disney knows how to make money.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trigganosis View Post
    Can you please send a pic of the iron man spine on Civil War ohc? Thx!
    image.jpg

Is this the spine you're asking about?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Everyone please PM Tigereyes with Groo Omnibus as your #1 choice. Thank you.
    Groo is one of my all-time faves. I loved Sergio Aragones from my first exposure to his work in Mad Magazine, and having a monthly title featuring his talent was a real treasure through most of the '80s. Still have all my floppies of his from Pacific Comics, Eclipse, Marvel, Image, and Dark Horse.

However, as much as I would love to see an omnibus (or several), I did not include it in my top ten submission to Tigereyes, due to the fact that Marvel published Groo the Wanderer on its Epic label, reserved for creator-owned material. I presume that a Groo omni wouldn't really be up to Marvel to decide. Seems similar to the expired licensing agreements that keep much of Marvel's toy-based titles from seeing reprint (Rom is oft lamented in forum postings, for example). Has Marvel given the omni treatment to any other Epic label series thus far? Groo was the only such title that I regularly collected, back in the day.

Is there a link anywhere to the winners of the last few Top 10 omnibus wish list fan contests or can anyone list them? I'm curious how many actually happened.
    Thanks in advance.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Groo is one of my all-time faves. I loved Sergio Aragones from my first exposure to his work in Mad Magazine, and having a monthly title featuring his talent was a real treasure through most of the '80s. Still have all my floppies of his from Pacific Comics, Eclipse, Marvel, Image, and Dark Horse.

However, as much as I would love to see an omnibus (or several), I did not include it in my top ten submission to Tigereyes, due to the fact that Marvel published Groo the Wanderer on its Epic label, reserved for creator-owned material. I presume that a Groo omni wouldn't really be up to Marvel to decide. Seems similar to the expired licensing agreements that keep much of Marvel's toy-based titles from seeing reprint (Rom is oft lamented in forum postings, for example). Has Marvel given the omni treatment to any other Epic label series thus far? Groo was the only such title that I regularly collected, back in the day.
    Yeah, I would think this would be the case. Sadly (or not), Groo (and reprints of Groo material) now belong to Dark Horse via their deal with Aragones
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Is there a link anywhere to the winners of the last few Top 10 omnibus wish list fan contests or can anyone list them? I'm curious how many actually happened.
    Thanks in advance.
    Here's what happened between the first and second annual surveys:

2013 2014
    1 Uncanny X-Men vol. 2 RELEASED
    2 Incredible Hulk by PAD vol. 1 4
    3 New Mutants vol. 1 6
    4 Alpha Flight 9
    5 Spider-Man by Stern RELEASED
    6 Uncanny X-Force RELEASED
    7 Moon Knight 26
    8 ASM vol. 3 3
    9 Uncanny X-Men vol. 3 5
    10 X-Factor by PAD vol. 1 14
    11 Avengers by Stern vol. 1 16
    12 (tie) Incredible Hulk vol. 2 50
    12 (tie) Captain America by Brubaker 4 SOLICITED
    13 Dr. Strange by Ditko 2
    14 Werewolf by Night 28
    15 Daredevil by Nocenti vol. 1 10
    16 (tie) Marvel Monsters of the 70's 32
    16 (tie) ASM by Michelinie/Larsen 23
    17 Fantastic Four vol. 3 1
    18 What If? X
    19 Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 2 21
    20 Avengers by Stern vol. 2 X
    21 Avengers by Busiek (vol. 1) SOLICITED
    22 (tie) Journey Into Mystery by Gillen 24
    22 (tie) Wolverine vol. 2 X
    23 Annihilation RELEASED
    24 Master of the Kung Fu 27
    25 (tie) Infinity Gauntlet RELEASED
    25 (tie) Ghost Rider 18
    26 Super-Villain Team Up X
    27 Excalibur by Claremont 11
    28 Ms. Marvel X

Keep in mind, this represents what had transpired by the time of last year's survey, comparing to the inaugural survey two years ago. A few more of these have been solicited and/or released in the intervening year since then (notably, FF v3 and Werewolf by Night).

Spectacular Member

Though I don't have a handy chart prepared for last year's results, here's a listing for reference:

#50 (TIE) MACHINE MAN BY JACK KIRBY (2001 #8-10, MACHINE MAN #1-19)
    (TIE) HULK SILVERAGE VOLUME #2 (103-139)
    #49 THUNDERBOLTS BY KURT BUSIEK (0, -1, 1-33, ANNUAL 1997)
    #48 X-MEN ONSLAUGHT (VARIOUS ISSUES)
    #47 HULK BY PETER DAVID VOLUME 2 (364-400, ANNUALS)
    #46 CAPTAIN AMERICA VOLUME 2 (114-148)
    #45 GENERATION X (#1-25, -1, ANNUAL 1995-97)
    #44 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY TOM DEFALCO (251-285,ANNUALS)
    #43 NOVA BY DNA
    #42 SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN BY JM DEMATTEIS (178-200, ANNUAL 1993)
    #41 SENSATIONAL SHE HULK BY JOHN BYRNE (1-8, 31-50)
    #40 DEFENDERS (MARVEL FEATURE #1, DEFENDERS 1-19)
    #39 NEW MUTANTS VOLUME #2 (35-58, Annual 2, 3)
    #38 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOLUME 4 #101-131, ANNUAL 8, 9
    #37 AVENGERS BY MICHELINE PEREZ/BYRNE (#181-202)
    #36 NICK FURY (STRANGE TALES 135-168, NICK FURY 1-18)
    #35. THE MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN (#1-18)
    #34. DAREDEVIL BY ANN NOCENTI VOLUME #2 (262-291)
    #33. SILVER SURFER BY STEVE ENGLEHART (#1-31, ANNUAL)
    #32. MARVEL 1970'S HORROR ANTHOLOGY (HAUNTS OF HORROR, CHAMBER OF DARKNESS, MONSTERS UNLEASHED, LEGION OF MONSTERS)
    #31. NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER BY JOHN BYRNE (#1-32)
    #30. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY JMS (#30-58)
    #29. INFINITY WAR (VARIOUS)
    #28. WEREWOLF BY NIGHT (MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #2-4, WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #1-21)
    #27. MASTER OF KUNG FU (#1-37, ANNUAL)
    #26. MOON KNIGHT (WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #32-33, MARVEL SPOTLIGHT 28-29, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #22-23, MARVEL TWO IN ONE #52, HULK MAGAZINE ISSUES, MOON KNIGHT #1-10)
    #25 (TIE) AVENGERS WEST COAST (#42-79)
    (TIE) PUNISHER MAX BY GARTH ENNIS VOLUME 2(#31-60)
    #24. JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY BY KEIRON GILLEN
    #23. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY MICHELINIE AND LARSON (#330-350, ANNUALS)
    #22. IRON MAN BY MICHELINIE VOLUME 2 (#216-250, ANNUALS 8, 9)
    #21. ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN VOLUME 2 (40-85, ANNUAL 1)
    #20 UNCANNY X-MEN BY CHRIS CLAREMONT AND JR JR (#176-209, Annuals 8-10)
    #19 DR. STRANGE BY ROGER STERN (#27-37, 46-75)
    #18 GHOST RIDER (MARVEL SPOTLIGHT 5-12, #1-28)
    #17 ANNIHILATION CONQUEST (VARIOUS)
    #16 AVENGERS BY ROGER STERN VOLUME 1 (#227-254, Annuals)
    #15 DAREDEVIL SILVER AGE VOLUME 1 (#1-32)
    #14 X-FACTOR (2006) by PETER DAVID VOLUME 1 (Madrox Mini, #1-20)
    #13 PUNISHER MAX BY GARTH ENNIS VOLUME 1 (#1-30)
    #12 GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY BY DNA
    #11 EXCALIBUR (#1-34, MOJO MAYHEM, THE POSSESSION, XX CROSSING, SPECIAL, AIR APPARENT)
    #10 DAREDEVIL BY ANN NOCENTI VOLUME 1 (#234-261)
    #9 ALPHA FLIGHT BY JOHN BYRNE (#1-28)
    #8 THOR SILVER AGE VOLUME 3 (#153-185, ANNUALS)
    #7 AVENGERS SILVER AGE VOLUME 2 (#31-60, KING SIZE SPECIAL 1-3)
    #6 NEW MUTANTS VOLUME 1 (MARVEL GRAPHIC NOVEL, MTU 100, NEW MUTANTS #1-34)
    #5 UNCANNY X-MEN BY CLAREMONT AND COCKRUM/SMITH (#154-175, ANNUAL 6, 7)
    #4 INCREDIBLE HULK BY PETER DAVID (#330-363, ANNUALS)
    #3 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SILVER AGE VOLUME 3 (#68-100, ANNUAL 6-8)
    #2 DR. STRANGE SILVER AGE (STRANGE TALES #110-168, DR. STRANGE #169-183)
    #1 FANTASTIC FOUR BY STAN LEE AND JACK KIRBY VOLUME 3 (61-93, ANNUAL 5-7)

Just glancing down the list, we've seen 1, 7, 17, 28, 36, and 48 receive attention from Marvel in the past twelve months. I might be overlooking others.
    Last edited by Near Mint; 07-06-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Marvel is very unpredictable, so know one can really say. With the amount of mini-series stemming from this event, I feel like an omnibus would be too difficult. This feels similar to Civil War, with a set of eventual OHCs grouped by tie-in branding would be best. Battleworld, Last Days, etc. But, again, who knows. Maybe they'll squeeze it all into some huge companion. Either way, probably not soon. I'm assuming they want to make a lot of money with trades first with this event and not rush out a bunch of OHCs that will eat into trade sales. This one is Civil War level of hype and changes, so they're probably planning on how to make money from it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Omnibus and Companion are interchangeable for the purposes of this discussion.

Marvel doesn't too often do the "all the first issues" thing - just Marvel Now and their 90s Omnibus, as far as I can recall. I think it's much more likely we'd get that sort of thing for All-New Marvel Now in the fall rather than Secret Wars, purely because it seems strange/annoying to do first-issues-only for mini-series as opposed to ongoings.

It's hard to say what we'll see in oversize for Secret Wars, since all the tie-ins is four months of EVERYTHING. Like, every single comic, with no possible escape. The closest recent analog to this was Fear Itself, and that didn't get a companion - but, that was also in the PHC>TPB era, so there's an chance we could get TPBs of all the Secret Wars stuff followed by a Companion later if it sells strongly.

If everything sells well, I'd put in my wager for three companions for the three main types of books - the names escape me at the moment, but it's Battlezones, something, and something.

Thanks for your enlightening opinions.

I guess I'll buy the Secret Wars OSHC, the TPB where the rafts survivors and Doom are most important to the story, and keep my fingers crossed for a Civil War-type of OSHC release. Thanks for your time!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    This is why I'm not too worried about picking up Annihilation Conquest later. The exact same thing happened with the Busiek omni, out of stock early on, crazy prices, followed by a re-stocking and then business as usual.
    Yes, the Busiek Avengers Omnibus is widely available in the UK (and partly Europe) at pretty reasonable prices (amazon.co.uk marketplace, speedyhen.co.uk). I ordered mine for under £48 (incl. shipping) thru Abebooks.co.uk. However, be aware that once it disappears from speedyhen and several marketplace sellers start selling out, it wil go OOP very fast. In particular due to the fact that are no more copies at Diamond (as per Omnibus's post below).

Also, I would be very wary with regards to the Annihilation Conquest Omnibus. That one does seem to have disappeared in various places very quickly. It was going for under £60 from Wordery on the amazon.co.uk marketplace but they have now sold out. Amazon.o.uk has raised it's price from £61.75 to £72.38.

Time will tell as to whether any more sellers will appear or whether Speedyhen will get more copies in as it did with the Busiek Avengers and the Trial of Captain America Omnibuses. There was a period where it seemed that the latter two had become very scarce and yet they were eventually restocked each time they went out of stock. The Annihilation Conquest Omnibus may be a different beast entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Amazon went back up to $112.50.

My take on the Avengers omnibus and Annihilation Conquest omnibus is since Amazon, B&N and any other Hachette vendors are priced very high compared to places like IST, TOW and CGN. This caused the diamond supply to dry up faster than usual. In most cases it is places like Amazon and B&N that sell out first of a book and then eventually the comic places online.

Would bet the same thing will happen for the X-men Onslaught omnibus when it is released as there are much better prices with the online shops vs Amazon & B&N. Also add the fact that Marvel has reduced print runs to avoid those huge clearance sales.

CGN always raises prices on titles with very little stock left. Since Diamond is out they cannot get any more copies of Avengers and Annihilation Conquest.
    I think you may have a valid point with the "amazon high price/Diamond drought" theory. That's why, in the case of Annihilation Conquest Omnibus, I think that if anyone does not yet have it and wants it, they should purchase it as soon as they see it a decent price. For Brits, it might be a good idea to order it from Speedyhen even though they are out of stock. They might just get it back in again, and a £50 pricetag is not too shabby at all.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

#44 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY TOM DEFALCO (251-285,ANNUALS)
    Marvel really really needs to do this one for Spider-Man fans. But it needs to go to ASM 289 at least to finish off Hobgoblin's story (until HLives). So the title may need to be changed to include Owsley and Peter David.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Though I don't have a handy chart prepared for last year's results, here's a listing for reference:
    Thanks for responding.

So for both years, the No. 1 pick received omnibus treatment, whether coincidence or not, and at least two of the Top 10 got the treatment.

I'd almost say the Uncanny X-Men was a no-brainer, but FF vol. 3 was somewhat of a surprise. Not sure if Marvel is paying attention to this or not, but the odds look good for now that the next No. 1 gets the big book treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Marvel really really needs to do this one for Spider-Man fans. But it needs to go to ASM 289 at least to finish off Hobgoblin's story (until HLives). So the title may need to be changed to include Owsley and Peter David.
    Naw, they should run it right up to the McFarlane omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Also, I would be very wary with regards to the Annihilation Conquest Omnibus. That one does seem to have disappeared in various places very quickly. It was going for under £60 from Wordery on the amazon.co.uk marketplace but they have now sold out. Amazon.o.uk has raised it's price from £61.75 to £72.38.
    As predicted, speedyhen have now restocked. Just ordered for £50

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    As predicted, speedyhen have now restocked. Just ordered for £50
    Showing out of stock for me and my existing order still says backordered.