Page 952 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 45285290294294894995095195295395495595696210021052 ... LastLast
Results 14,266 to 14,280 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Not to mention the slave labour used to make the Beijing Olympics happen. Their track record with human rights is abysmal. It's never racist to point out human rights abuses.
    Nope, not at all. It is however racist to imply that because a company is based in Asia they employ child labour to produce their good.

Spectacular Member

Hey guys,
    Have just stumbled upon a book store with quite a few OOP omnibuses in stock. These include Evolutionary War (so so condition), Squadron Supreme (looks quite good), Inferno Prologue (looked good) and at least two decent copies of Inferno Crossovers. Also had Acts of Vengeance and the crossovers one. Just wondering if any of these would be worth much and if anyone from here would want them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I'm not saying that child labour isn't a problem, it is, and it is an issue all over the world, but to insinuate that the poor quality of a book is down to the use of child labour because the book is printed in Asia is racist.

It would be the same as me saying that the American books are badly made because that company used illiterate hillbliies to put the books together.

Are there illiterate hilbillies in America? Yes. Is there any connection between that fact and that initial comment of quality? No.
    So, you're upset because you think I implied that Chinese child labor is inferior to American child labor? Isn't it a subtle form of racism to imply that Chinese children aren't deserving of the same protections against human rights abuse as American children? Aren't they deserving of a childhood, too? Or should they have to work their childhoods away in sweatshops?

Default Child Labour

I'll just put this here. From 2007 though.

http://daismachine.blogspot.co.uk/20...e-workers.html

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Let's not do this and get back to talking about the books, rather than which country employs the most children to make them!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Spectacular Member

I'm not saying that child labour isn't a problem, it is, and it is an issue all over the world, but to insinuate that the poor quality of a book is down to the use of child labour because the book is printed in Asia is racist.
    Even if there is an assumption being made, it is not a "racist" assumption. This has nothing to do with the Chinese, or any other, "race." Some clarity of terms would help. I think there is a common misunderstanding/overuse of the term "racist."
    Last edited by invisiblegardener; 05-27-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Spicy thread this morning.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by zeze View Post
    That is weird. My sister always goes there all the time and gets charged US price plus exchange rate (those are floppies). I have bought a few omnibuses (OOP ones like Devil Dinosaur, Fantastic Four Vol 1 - 2nd printing, ASM volume 2, AoV Crossovers Variant) and HCs from them in the past and have always been charged US price + exchange rate. And one thing I have noticed is that their exchange rate is usually higher than the actual exchange rate so they are making a bit more money. I have seen people there paying more than Cdn cover price for a trade. I personally can't stand the store (plus most of them are very unfriendly), but I still regret not picking up the Captain America and Thor SA omnibuses when they still have them in stock (this was after they went OOP). But yeah I will agree with you that they have a good stock of HC (though Phoenix Comics SW selection is better). Though it doesn't matter to me anymore as I buy almost everything online now. Only time I go to a comic book store is to look for OOP books and to buy those darn Funko Pop toys (those things are addicting).
    I go to AD exclusively for any variant covers I want. And I choose them because I've found them to be really nice (and priced well) and they leave me alone while I shop. And they can always tell me if they have a book and where it will be. And I've always found their prices more reasonable than Phoenix. But I have only been getting mainly masterworks from marvel lately.

Plus that statue selection. I'm not huge into them but I love looking. I'm probably gonna get the new daredevil to sit above my daredevil books.

Also life-sized hulk in the middle of the store!
    Last edited by Canucked; 05-27-2015 at 06:28 AM.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    So, you're upset because you think I implied that Chinese child labor is inferior to American child labor? Isn't it a subtle form of racism to imply that Chinese children aren't deserving of the same protections against human rights abuse as American children? Aren't they deserving of a childhood, too? Or should they have to work their childhoods away in sweatshops?
    Try and twist what I'm saying all you want, but my point was and still remain the same. Your assumption that the printer is Chinese and therefore they employ child labour is racist. And it is racist because you are equating the use of child labour with Chinese ownership.

BANNED

go away with this discussion. youre ruining my Inferno moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Hate to say it but Inferno is gonna ruin your Inferno moment.

Just kidding it's okay.

Spectacular Member

Try and twist what I'm saying all you want, but my point was and still remain the same. Your assumption that the printer is Chinese and therefore they employ child labour is racist. And it is racist because you are equating the use of child labour with Chinese ownership.
    It would behoove us all to Google the definition of racism: "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."

Nothing in this discussion has been racist. I realize we are off-topic, but while we're here let's learn what words mean.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I can't believe that you have completed you collection in so little a time. I'm two years in, and still have about 10 books on my list!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I can't believe that you have completed you collection in so little a time. I'm two years in, and still have about 10 books on my list!
    Your collection looks great!
    What are some of your marvel white whales?

I collected mine as quickly as possible, buying all the ones going OOP as soon as I saw them for a decent price. It was thanks to you guys and this thread, eBay, general luck and a great comic store in Notting Hill.
    I gave myself a limit as well to what I wanted. Being X-Men only, it could have gotten hugely out of hand but think I have a nice compact collection.

There are still a few things weighing on my mind whether I should buy them or not. The TPB's of Rogue Nation, The Shattering, Ages of Apoaclypse... I would love these but I'm really hoping that Marvel re-releases them in a better format soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Hate to say it but Inferno is gonna ruin your Inferno moment.

Just kidding it's okay.
    This is true. When I read it the first time many years ago I remember thinking how bizarre and confusing it all was.