Page 497 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 397447487493494495496497498499500501507547597997 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,455 of 17378

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but what are the chances that we'll get a new printing of the Age of Apocalypse omnibus when the movie comes out in 2016?

It's come to my understanding that the trade reprints (prelude, complete epic 1-4) are not a good choice for a number of issues.

Omnibus has updated his OOP list, it resides in the fourth post on the first page.

Just seen that big post on Hickman, and running on 1.5 ideas per book. Got to say I disagree with a lot of that, I reckon Hickman has created more new characters/ideas in recent books than any other comic writer. He writes one big story, sure, but one idea is crazy. Spoilers for HiCkmans SHIELD/Avengers/ F4 run and Secret warriors ahead....

His SHIELD series, introduces a bunch of new characters, albeit real historical ones, and expands on the history of SHIELD. His Secret Warriors run had two whole teams of characters(either 6 or 8 each) with back stories and origins, only one of them got that because he had to wrap it up early and the other team got wiped in one issue because of this but they were all there. I'm not sure if the Hive-looking(too much Destiny) enemy faction was new but that was a significant creation that I hadn't heard of.

His Fantastic Four run, I don't know if they were new ideas but the old city of Atlanteans, the kids, Black Panther King of the Dead, Parliament of Dooms, the couple of Alternate histories for the F4 and for Ben Grimm. Reeds Father and his "highlander-esque contest. Shit I'm just rolling these of the top of my head so there is probably more I forgot.

Current Avengers/New Avengers has the Great Destroyer, Black Swan, Map makers, Builders, Incursions etc.

As for seeing "Everything Dies" all the time, its actually on the recap page(also the title for the first TPB/hc) so that is were you would be reading it over and over again. It doesn't actually appear 50 times in the comic.

I get people are frustrated with how Hickman has a plan, he has got it all mapped out for however many issues to tell his story and several issues end up reading like "chess pieces being re-arranged on a board" to fit into the story he is telling. I like that kind of long-term storytelling in comics, rather than two or three issues fighting one villain and then repeat ad nauseam. I think it actually has pushed comics forward, having the stories mapped out far into the future allows for better direction of the *insert comic universe here* overall. The downside of that is it it easy ruined by Editorial interference, which Hickman has been unlucky with a few times. Thankfully we got a pretty untouched Fantastic Four run.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Pulp Fiction Comics in Long Beach (and apparently Culver City too?). I've heard conflicting things about the in-store pricing. Someone in this thread recently said the online prices are the same in store. I've heard the opposite and that online prices don't apply, so it's cover price or whatever discount they feel like giving in store.
    Pulp Fiction discounts Marvel/DC 40%, Image/Dark Horse 30%, and everything else 20%. DM editions that are "sold out" on release date are sold at cover price I believe. I used to go there all the time at their first location, but after moving near CSULB, their business practices became a bit too aggressive. Now that Mike is always at Culver City, I voted with my wallet and order exclusively at IST for new books. I wanted to support my LCS, but it made zero financial sense.

Woo! Barnes and Noble coupons seem to be going out. Super bummed that the Deadpool and Cable omnibus isn't out until next week, after the coupon expires. Was going to pair up Deadpool by Joe Kelly, Deadpool and Cable and Punisher Max

Hmmm. Guess the coupons are for US customers only.

I would politely suggest to keep discussions about coupons, B&N, packaging, taxes and delivery quality a little shorter on this thread. I understand why it is discussed and it is surely helpful, but I feel it's also derailing the thread quite much these times...If I'm the only one, keep on going. It's just a suggestion.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CP1234 View Post
    I apologize if this has been discussed before, but what are the chances that we'll get a new printing of the Age of Apocalypse omnibus when the movie comes out in 2016?

It's come to my understanding that the trade reprints (prelude, complete epic 1-4) are not a good choice for a number of issues.
    They indeed are not, but if trades as format are ok with you, there's something called X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Volume 1: Alpha on Amazon and Hachette to be released in May. There are no details about it, but I'm pretty sure that's first half of the AoA omnibus is softcover although page count is a tad suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    I would politely suggest to keep discussions about coupons, B&N, packaging, taxes and delivery quality a little shorter on this thread. I understand why it is discussed and it is surely helpful, but I feel it's also derailing the thread quite much these times...If I'm the only one, keep on going. It's just a suggestion.
    Respectfully, I completely disagree. I've gotten so many great deals over the years from this board from folks sharing coupon codes and giving a friendly heads up when they find a super deal online.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Respectfully, I completely disagree. I've gotten so many great deals over the years from this board from folks sharing coupon codes and giving a friendly heads up when they find a super deal online.
    Well, I actually do agree completely with this statement, and if ever there's a sudden discount, great find or glitch, I'm the most happy person if somebody does post it here. That's not what I was talking about. To be more precise, very often, it's not really a Marvel specific subject, it's not "the big deal" and more a lot of discussions concerning "general discounts", who is the best seller, what is the best packaging (and there's a thread for that), how can I get an extra 2% discount, are there any taxes in Texas or Ohio and so on and I feel it has recently become too general to justify a larger discussion in the Marvel thread. It's not so much of an issue really, just an observation.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Just seen that big post on Hickman, and running on 1.5 ideas per book. Got to say I disagree with a lot of that, I reckon Hickman has created more new characters/ideas in recent books than any other comic writer. He writes one big story, sure, but one idea is crazy. Spoilers for HiCkmans SHIELD/Avengers/ F4 run and Secret warriors ahead....

His SHIELD series, introduces a bunch of new characters, albeit real historical ones, and expands on the history of SHIELD. His Secret Warriors run had two whole teams of characters(either 6 or 8 each) with back stories and origins, only one of them got that because he had to wrap it up early and the other team got wiped in one issue because of this but they were all there. I'm not sure if the Hive-looking(too much Destiny) enemy faction was new but that was a significant creation that I hadn't heard of.

His Fantastic Four run, I don't know if they were new ideas but the old city of Atlanteans, the kids, Black Panther King of the Dead, Parliament of Dooms, the couple of Alternate histories for the F4 and for Ben Grimm. Reeds Father and his "highlander-esque contest. Shit I'm just rolling these of the top of my head so there is probably more I forgot.

Current Avengers/New Avengers has the Great Destroyer, Black Swan, Map makers, Builders, Incursions etc.

As for seeing "Everything Dies" all the time, its actually on the recap page(also the title for the first TPB/hc) so that is were you would be reading it over and over again. It doesn't actually appear 50 times in the comic.

I get people are frustrated with how Hickman has a plan, he has got it all mapped out for however many issues to tell his story and several issues end up reading like "chess pieces being re-arranged on a board" to fit into the story he is telling. I like that kind of long-term storytelling in comics, rather than two or three issues fighting one villain and then repeat ad nauseam. I think it actually has pushed comics forward, having the stories mapped out far into the future allows for better direction of the *insert comic universe here* overall. The downside of that is it it easy ruined by Editorial interference, which Hickman has been unlucky with a few times. Thankfully we got a pretty untouched Fantastic Four run.
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from.

He introduces a lot of new characters, the problem is that few of them have any personalities to speak of. The Black Swan has no personality. All of the FF kids have interchangeable "stock precocious cute kid" personalities. (All they all EXACTLY the same character? No, but they are all like 98% the same character. The Moleoids scream "The Ben!" sometimes; this is the only way they are differentiated.)

Secret Warriors were better, but I think Bendis had more to do with getting them personalities right from the get go. I'm not saying that to shortchange Hickman, but look at his Image works up to that point (Nightly News and Pax Romana, both of which I actually really like): Do any of the characters in those works have personalities? Not really. Same with all the historical figures in S.H.I.E.L.D. (which I also like). Just can't really be too impressed on a humanistic level (as opposed to a design level or an idea level) when all of the characters are so bland.

Point taken about the ideas in the FF run. What I would say is that to me personally that don't even register as "ideas" because the situations are so stiff and empty. The Black Panther King of the Dead... or Sue Richards Queen of the Oceans or whatever... these things happened but they were more like what people call "set pieces". I feel like I never got access to them on an emotional enough level to make them mean anything. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I know I'm not alone in feeling this way about Hickman's work, because so often over the years I've heard the same complaint, that he writes "set pieces" not stories, that he substitutes "design" for characterization, that he only has "ideas". To me, honestly, I *like* what he does because at least it's something different, in part because of what I would have to consider clear flaws. His flaws are interesting, but I am still going to have to call them flaws.

Also -- "Everything Dies" -- You're just completely wrong about this not being used so much. It isn't just on the recap pages. I don't even read the recap pages. I just pulled out the last four issues of New Avengers and flipped through them. "Everything dies" is intoned, with the same pretentious ominous air that has grown so stale by now, towards the end of issue 22... towards the end of issue 23... and towards the end of issue 24. Hickman didn't use it (that I could see) in issue 25. So, three out of four, he keeps banging on it. I liked it the first seventeen times I heard the idea, just like I liked the first 180 pages of circular discussions about whether or not the 616 heroes should destroy other worlds to save their own. But after a while, man, this same stuff over and over again...

I like other aspects of Hickman's Avengers stuff (the many characters, the scope of it all, the way he holds villains and slowly brings out threats, the interplay between the different series -- all balanced very well). But, there are clear flaws starting to wear very thin for people after close to a 100 $3.99 issues... If I were paying anywhere near full price I'd have bailed a long time ago. I have no problem with long stories or stories that take their time, but when they lean so hard on the same concepts which do NOT progress very much over several dozen issues (e.g. "Everything Dies" being intoned in the same exact manner, for the same exact effect), it wears thin and should be called out.

Because: Hey, anyone who hasn't read any of Hickman's Avengers stuff but is thinking about getting OHC collections of it? Just know that you will need to buy basically all of them going forward to have anything close to a whole story. You read that first 6-issue New Avengers HC and thought the Incursions stuff was interesting? Yeah, well just know that it won't resolve for another 140 combined issues.

It's really an unprecedented situation, for this many pages and this many issues to be used in this way. On that level, for better or worse, it's interesting to me.
    Last edited by DarkBeast; 11-06-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheska View Post
    Woo! Barnes and Noble coupons seem to be going out. Super bummed that the Deadpool and Cable omnibus isn't out until next week, after the coupon expires. Was going to pair up Deadpool by Joe Kelly, Deadpool and Cable and Punisher Max
    What coupon? I've been wanting to pick up the B&N leathbound edition of Dracula and a coupon would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    Well, I actually do agree completely with this statement, and if ever there's a sudden discount, great find or glitch, I'm the most happy person if somebody does post it here. That's not what I was talking about. To be more precise, very often, it's not really a Marvel specific subject, it's not "the big deal" and more a lot of discussions concerning "general discounts", who is the best seller, what is the best packaging (and there's a thread for that), how can I get an extra 2% discount, are there any taxes in Texas or Ohio and so on and I feel it has recently become too general to justify a larger discussion in the Marvel thread. It's not so much of an issue really, just an observation.
    Maybe we could start a new "Holidays discounts" thread or something.

I would add up to what you said the sometimes extremely poor character development. In Secret Warrios we barely got to know some of the kids and the book focused heavily on Nick Fury towards its final issues. And his current Avengers run suffers a lot from this. He did nothing with Sunspot, Cannonball and Hyperion, just to mention a few, for almost 20 issues (or more). Others got one issue dedicated to them and that was it. They had to create Avengers World to offer a spotlight on a lot of characters.

The events in Avengers are pretty cool, but the way the the main characters react to them is definitely not.

On the other hand, New Avengers is superb because in this book he hasn't forgotten about character development and interactions. This is on FF level, while Avengers is something more like Secret Warriors.

Spectacular Member

Omnibus has updated his OOP list, it resides in the fourth post on the first page.
    Thanks Omnibus. Could you please remove Uncanny X-Force for the "in stock everywhere" list. Also you should include the Age of Apocalypse Companion somewhere on the list