Page 683 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 183583633673679680681682683684685686687693733783 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,245 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Anyone know any good adjustable bookends? The main reason I stack my books is cause I don't want the pages to be loose.
    I've been on the hunt for some myself. There are some books I want to put on top of my bookcases, but my criteria is too high. The bookends have to be cheap, unique, comic themed but not tacky. Until then I am using The Dark Tower and Calvin and Hobbes as those are my biggest slip covers.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    I've been on the hunt for some myself. There are some books I want to put on top of my bookcases, but my criteria is too high. The bookends have to be cheap, unique, comic themed but not tacky. Until then I am using The Dark Tower and Calvin and Hobbes as those are my biggest slip covers.
    Would comic statue busts work? Or are they not heavy/big enough?
    I guess it would depend upon how much space between the books and the end of the shelf would be, yes? Maybe?
    Because I have no clue.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I saw these a few months back on Etsy and I've been wanting to buy some ever since. Though, I'm not sure if they'd damage the dustcover when the two rub. Plus, they are space wasters.

LINK

EDIT: Not sure if Etsy links are against the rules. If they are, I'll remove the link.
    Last edited by danmar85; 01-29-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I saw these a few months back on Etsy and I've been wanting to buy some ever since. Though, I'm not sure if they'd damage the dustcover when the two rub. Plus, they are space wasters.

EDIT: Not sure if Etsy links are against the rules. If they are, I'll remove the link.
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Would comic statue busts work? Or are they not heavy/big enough?
    I guess it would depend upon how much space between the books and the end of the shelf would be, yes? Maybe?
    Because I have no clue.
    No, don't use busts. A good solid bookend will have some weight to it, but not too much for some lightweight shelves. Some are quite light but have a balance to them (or grippy feet) that holds some books really well. Also, make sure that whatever you use has a kind of velvet (or some people place seperate padding but I can't say if thats good for the book) side towards the books and slightly rounded edges. Nothing that has a point or corner against the books.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

My stern Spidey had build issues too. Spine seperation mainly but the block was also attached to the spine at the slightest of downward angles which doesn't effect reading but does mean that unless supported when vertical the block will always have extra potential to pull down.

I open all books why I get them and gently leaf through and examine them now. It was the first one that really burned me (from marvel, plenty from other companies)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I had a similar issue with my Simonson Thor omni. The end sheet was glued to the front glue slightly off center so it pulled the book block down. Thankfully I noticed it and Amazon sent me a replacement within 24 hours.

What burns me if that if I had just finished reading the book after I bought it there wouldn't be a problem. I'd get a replacement (although Chapters' returns policy stinks compared to Amazon's) and that would be that.
    I think Marvel's printer lacks a quality control person. It's true I own more Marvel hardcovers than anything else, but I can't recall any build issues with any books I've bought from any other company. I'd guess as much as 1/3rd of my Marvel purchases of books $40 or more have had some kind of problem I wouldn't expect of an expensive collector's piece.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    At the beginning of May I paid $90 for the Roger Stern Spider-Man omni. For one reason or another I only made it a 1/3 of the way through before losing interest. In the last week or so I've started reading it again and I'm almost finished. It's great.
    Good to hear. I'm in the mood for more Spidey after ripping through the Michelinie omnibus last Sunday, so the Stern book's been promoted to my reading pile for this weekend.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Anyone know any good adjustable bookends? The main reason I stack my books is cause I don't want the pages to be loose.
    There are some truly lovely Fables themed ones. Expensive, but really, really nice
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I use Calvin & Hobbes and Farside as my bookends.

My omnibuses have been stacked horizontally for quite a while and they are fine. If I want to read one at the bottom I take them off separately to get to the one I want so no pulling. All my spines are fine, I make sure they are lined up nicely. They get put together by greater weight being put on them, don't they?

I make sure the largest/heaviest are at the bottom just to be sure and everything I have read on book storage tips from libraries and universities says horizontal piles two or three high for large hardcovers. I think it's more to do with personal preference and space.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I think Marvel's printer lacks a quality control person. It's true I own more Marvel hardcovers than anything else, but I can't recall any build issues with any books I've bought from any other company. I'd guess as much as 1/3rd of my Marvel purchases of books $40 or more have had some kind of problem I wouldn't expect of an expensive collector's piece.
    As bad as it is, I can't blame just Marvel. The two faulty Marvel books I've bought came from different printers (one Chinese, one USA) and the one Fantagraphics book I have has some serious crinkling in a few pages. Based on what I've seen (and it is an extremely limited sample size) printing QC in general has fallen. The only error I can truly blame Marvel for is screwing up the lettering on one page of Punisher MAX Vol 1.
    Miller was right.

No, don't use busts. A good solid bookend will have some weight to it, but not too much for some lightweight shelves. Some are quite light but have a balance to them (or grippy feet) that holds some books really well. Also, make sure that whatever you use has a kind of velvet (or some people place seperate padding but I can't say if thats good for the book) side towards the books and slightly rounded edges. Nothing that has a point or corner against the books.
    These are my bookends of choice. I have them in pewter, but they've discontinued that style (for reasons that escape me because they're really great). I just wish I had more of them because I've had to resort to using cheap bookends to get the job done until I find something close to the others.

Have a good day.
    G Morrow

Quote Originally Posted by G Morrow View Post
    These are my bookends of choice. I have them in pewter, but they've discontinued that style (for reasons that escape me because they're really great). I just wish I had more of them because I've had to resort to using cheap bookends to get the job done until I find something close to the others.

Have a good day.
    G Morrow
    I like Pewter. What's the inner finish like?

Hey all, been away for a while (life gets busy sometimes). Just curious to know if the upcoming lee and kirby FF vol. 3 Omni has a variant and an old school cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    My omnibuses have been stacked horizontally for quite a while and they are fine. If I want to read one at the bottom I take them off separately to get to the one I want so no pulling. All my spines are fine, I make sure they are lined up nicely. They get put together by greater weight being put on them, don't they?

I make sure the largest/heaviest are at the bottom just to be sure and everything I have read on book storage tips from libraries and universities says horizontal piles two or three high for large hardcovers. I think it's more to do with personal preference and space.
    That may be fine in your case but it's not recommended by any means. Stacking all your omnibus books flat (horizontal spines) puts added pressure on the spine. Granted, it's not easily measured (most of the weight is evenly distributed on the main cover surface area) but signatures and spines are built to move freely and while keeping the text block together- NOT withstand several (10+) PSI of pressure directed perpendicular against it. I don't have examples to show you potential damage over time, but the glue, the cloth & sewn thread signatures are just not designed for this.

I've taken bookbinding classes in college for graphic design (don't laugh, yes I'm that old) and I've also worked in a library (I used to read the Library Journal in acquisitions!). Storing books horizontally is something done solely due to space considerations in libraries (Large map & art books are too tall for most shelves)- but it is never in stacks more than 3 books high (less if they are heavy).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    That may be fine in your case but it's not recommended by any means. Stacking all your omnibus books flat (horizontal spines) puts added pressure on the spine. Granted, it's not easily measured (most of the weight is evenly distributed on the main cover surface area) but signatures and spines are built to move freely and while keeping the text block together- NOT withstand several (10+) PSI of pressure directed perpendicular against it. I don't have examples to show you potential damage over time, but the glue, the cloth & sewn thread signatures are just not designed for this.

I've taken bookbinding classes in college for graphic design (don't laugh, yes I'm that old) and I've also worked in a library (I used to read the Library Journal in acquisitions!). Storing books horizontally is something done solely due to space considerations in libraries (Large map & art books are too tall for most shelves)- but it is never in stacks more than 3 books high (less if they are heavy).
    This is such a great post, in light of how much misinformation related to this topic is floating around the internet. I've heard arguments for vertical and horizontal storage, but given your pedigree, I'm inclined to take your word.