Page 329 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339379429829 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,935 of 17378
    All-New Member

Hi there! I see there is a dark tower omnibus coming out tommorow! I have the first one from a couple years ago ie two volumes ina slipcase. Is tommorows a continuation of the story?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    So I've discovered over the last few years that I love FF. I've loved the Byrne run, loved the Waid run, loved the Hickman run, the Fraction run, even really enjoyed Millar's brief run. The glaring omission in my FF experience, however, is the Stan and Jack stuff. I've been thinking about getting the omnis, but I've been a little scared I wouldn't be able to penetrate the wordiness and other era-specific comic conventions of which I've heard others complain. Are there any others out there like me who can advise me about whether or not I should jump into the run that started it all?
    I really love early Lee/Kirby FF, and I don't always like Silver Age material. Yes, it's got the talkiness of all comics of that era. But, every issue is like it's own little book! They're all so layered and with multiple parts and chapters. Plus, it was all really ground-breaking stuff, since it's was Marvel's re-entry into superheroes. However, I've only been through the first omni's worth of stories.

The first Epic collection is out this week - perhaps you should snag it from somewhere for the 50% discount and see if the dig the Lee/Kirby before shelling out for the Omnis?
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

I'm fascinated by this idea that certain Silver Age runs, which were of course written in the same era and often by the same creators, can be more accessible to modern readers than certain other Silver Age runs. I understand that ASM and FF are two of the more accessible ones (at least that seems to be the predominant opinion).

Here's my question: Which SA runs do you all find the most accessible to modern readers and which do you find the least accessible to modern readers?
    I think ASM and FF are the most accessible. Pretty damn funny in spots too, the writing.

Least accessible I'd say Thor. It might have been OK reading it at the time, but I just can't take the half issue format, half an issue of "current", half an issue of Tales of Assgard. It was just so jarring. If you were getting an issue a month it might have been tolerable, but sitting down with a run to read, just awful. And I found the art and story just pretty ornery. I'd never buy another SA Thor omni.

I also really like the X-Men and Hulk SA too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by grither View Post
    Hi there! I see there is a dark tower omnibus coming out tommorow! I have the first one from a couple years ago ie two volumes ina slipcase. Is tommorows a continuation of the story?
    Yes it is! It's the "Dark Tower: Gunslinger Omnibus"

COLLECTING: THE JOURNEY BEGINS 1-5, THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA 1-5, THE BATTLE OF TULL 1-5, THE WAY STATION 1-5, THE MAN IN BLACK 1-5, SHEEMIE'S TALE 1-2, EVIL GROUND 1-2, SO FELL LORD PERTH 1

I assume there will be another companion with it as well. The last two Stephen King Omni's were slipcased with companions.

Spectacular Member

I'm fascinated by this idea that certain Silver Age runs, which were of course written in the same era and often by the same creators, can be more accessible to modern readers than certain other Silver Age runs. I understand that ASM and FF are two of the more accessible ones (at least that seems to be the predominant opinion).

Here's my question: Which SA runs do you all find the most accessible to modern readers and which do you find the least accessible to modern readers?
    It's not Marvel, but honestly, I have been amazed to find that SA Doom Patrol is significantly more readable and exciting for me than the Stan Lee omnis I own.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Yes it is! It's the "Dark Tower: Gunslinger Omnibus"

COLLECTING: THE JOURNEY BEGINS 1-5, THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA 1-5, THE BATTLE OF TULL 1-5, THE WAY STATION 1-5, THE MAN IN BLACK 1-5, SHEEMIE'S TALE 1-2, EVIL GROUND 1-2, SO FELL LORD PERTH 1

I assume there will be another companion with it as well. The last two Stephen King Omni's were slipcased with companions.
    Will this one fall apart as easily as everybody's copy of The Stand did? Once bitten twice shy you know!

I'm sure you are looking for the input from older "modern readers", but my 9 year old is currently reading the SA FF Lee/Kirby run via MMW TPBs and is enjoying it quite a bit. He decided to pick up the first volume while at the Phoenix Comic-Con this year. My 12 year old started the Lee/Ditko Spider-Man run via the same format shortly afterwards. They have actually asked to stop with their current monthly singles and use the money towards MMW TPBs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I think it's more about character. Spider-Man's regular costume is a perfect match for his personality, the black costume is a total 180 from who Spidey is. But it works great with a villain or anti-hero.
    Hmmm. That's an interesting point. Do you think the black costume worked well during the "Back in Black" run - after Aunt May was shot and we had a darker Peter Parker?

I see what you're saying, though. It was always kind of strange to have a joking Spidey in the black suit.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Hulk is very accessible and a real treat. Very underrated IMO. Not as groundbreaking as FF or as consistent in vision as Spider-Man but if you want classic "Bruce Banner in the desert trying to find a cure while dodging Thunderbolt Ross" it doesn't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Hmmm. That's an interesting point. Do you think the black costume worked well during the "Back in Black" run - after Aunt May was shot and we had a darker Peter Parker?

I see what you're saying, though. It was always kind of strange to have a joking Spidey in the black suit.
    It would have worked better during Back in Black if it hadn't been an obvious movie tie-in and Spidey's reason for wearing the suit wasn't a 15 year old's "Paint it Black" moment.

I really like that the animated series had the costume change his personality so he was no longer jokey Spider-Man in the suit. Thats when it really worked. It was even better on the Spectacular show. But the whole cloth suit thing? Nah, not for me. But the black suit is one of those things like Iron Man's Silver Centurion armor, Hulk's Joe Fixit faze and Wolverine's brown costume where even though it's not the classic there is something cool in how off-beat it is.

Been wondering about this too. Seems like FF and ASM are the favorites. I'm a modern age guy so these two lines of omnis will probably be the only ones I'll pick up considering everything else(Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Silver Surfer) is out of print, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Will this one fall apart as easily as everybody's copy of The Stand did? Once bitten twice shy you know!
    Did the first Gunslinger Omnibus fall apart as easily as The Stand?.

As for everybody's copy falling apart there must have been some in the print run that were unscathed because I've had zero problems with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_RDM View Post
    my 9 year old is currently reading the SA FF Lee/Kirby run via MMW TPBs and is enjoying it quite a bit. He decided to pick up the first volume while at the Phoenix Comic-Con this year. My 12 year old started the Lee/Ditko Spider-Man run via the same format shortly afterwards. They have actually asked to stop with their current monthly singles and use the money towards MMW TPBs instead.
    I love this.
    Looking forward to the day my 6 year old graduates from My Little Pony trades. (Which I love as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post

As for everybody's copy falling apart there must have been some in the print run that were unscathed because I've had zero problems with mine.
    My Gunslinger Omnibus didn't fall apart when I read it, but I had pages that ripped when I tried to pry them apart due to too much glue overspray at the factory.

How much would I have to spend to collect the spidey masterworks in hardcover ? I have decided that waiting for the omnibus' is annoying.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post

My copy of The Stand hasn't "fallen apart" either, but the liner has completely separated from the spine of the book block and the book always feels like it's on the verge of coming apart when I open it.