Page 1001 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 501901951991997998999100010011002100310041005101110511101 ... LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,015 of 17378
    X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Krisis, you once asked about the size of the Masterwork reprints versus original printings. I didn't get pics but the daredevil reprint is somehow bigger than the original. The original is on the thin side, like volume 2.
    Thanks! That's really peculiar considering the contents are the same. Maybe the MMW paper has actually gotten slightly heavier over time? Now I'm tempted to pick up the Dr. Strange MMW HC reprint, even though it orphans my Vol. 2 TPB on the shelf.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Has anyone else in the UK had any update from Amazon regarding what has happened to Annihilation: Conquest? It's a few days later being dispatched and Amazon, usually so good at sending apologetic automatic emails about missed releases, have been strangely silent
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I placed an order through Speedyhen a few days ago when it showed OOS. Who knows if ill get it or not. Usual Marvel shenanigans. Absolute joke.

I bet 90s Firsts isn't delayed and has a huge print run. Who the hell runs this shambles?
    Mixes/Contact Info: http://chojin.devour.org

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Thanks! That's really peculiar considering the contents are the same. Maybe the MMW paper has actually gotten slightly heavier over time? Now I'm tempted to pick up the Dr. Strange MMW HC reprint, even though it orphans my Vol. 2 TPB on the shelf.
    You definitely should pick up Doc Strange. Too bad we'll probably never get a reprint of vol 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Speaking of praised books, I finally finished the Squadron Supreme omnibus this weekend. I've made a few posts previously about my progress. It was awesome. The graphic novel that follows it wasn't as great as the 12-issue miniseries, in my opinion, but did somewhat wrap-up the story okay.
    I've been going back and forth on this. I do tend to enjoy Bronze Age Marvel, but I'm not very familiar with Gruenwald's work and I've seen it compared to Watchmen a lot (which I don't like at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
    I placed an order through Speedyhen a few days ago when it showed OOS. Who knows if ill get it or not. Usual Marvel shenanigans. Absolute joke.

I bet 90s Firsts isn't delayed and has a huge print run. Who the hell runs this shambles?
    I preordered with Amazon in November. So it shouldn't be a small quantity in problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I thought this might be the case. My brother has some purchased in the early 2000's xmen 1&2 (not sure what printings) and I don't recall them being nearly as thick as the current masterworks I have seen. I just had nothing to side by side on. If masterworks have been going up in quality I seriously regret getting into OHC/Omni format over MW. There are just so damn many MW's over the decades.
    The MMWs are in my opinion the best quality reproduction of Marvel's classic comics. The art restoration, both for line work and colors, in the new printings is amazing. They really do a top notch job on producing them. They're also very durable, portable, and have sewn bindings.

With a little effort, starting in 2011 I was able to put together near complete sets of Avengers, Hulk, X-Men, Spidey, and FF all in HC. The only one I'm missing is the Avengers Vol 4 HC, which I plugged with the TPB. I get all the new volumes of those series as they're released. When you get them on release week the price isn't THAT bad. I have only had to pay cover price or more on 3-4 volumes I think. This was back when MHC, IST and CGN had many of them at clearance prices (~$17-30 ea). I was very lucky to start putting together my sets when I did. Back issue prices on some of the volumes are insane!

I also picked up last fall's 75th anniversary box set, which is cool and I like them as a set, but wouldn't want each and every new edition published to be minus the DJ with the wraparound cover art.

Like you mentioned, one of the drawbacks however, are the numerous volumes and editions published over the years. If you can find them, always go for the early 2000s (2002-03ish-Present) editions, aka the silver & black/back-to-press editions. Those are the ones that have the artwork restored the best. The folks over on the MMW MB could probably give you details if you need. Steer clear of the late '90s "comicraft" era editions though. They're the ones with the garish neon colored dust jackets and "comic book" fonts all over the covers. The art reproduction on those was pretty much horrible. In my collection I have two original printings from the 80s (Hulk & Spidey v1) and the rest of them are the 2002-Present editions. I try to get the marbled DJ variants but roughly half of them are the silver & black DJs.

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    I've been going back and forth on this. I do tend to enjoy Bronze Age Marvel, but I'm not very familiar with Gruenwald's work and I've seen it compared to Watchmen a lot (which I don't like at all).
    I've never read Squadron Supreme, but have heard all the praises over the years. The major thing that is kind of a turn off for me is the artwork. It seems simplistic compared to today's stories (and even compared to many published back when this was originally released). Let's face it Bob Hall was no Byrne, Miller, or Zeck. And that logo! Man, it just looks like a bad 80s comic!

Besides that, I find that most of the work I've read by Gruenwald is a bit of a chore to get thru. I liked some of his Cap run (Society of Serpents Epic, The Captain storyline) but some of it was absurd (Cap Wolf, Fighting Chance, etc). A lot of the times most of his stories seem needlessly overly dramatic, or over-written, if that makes any sense.

What's weird is it preceeds Watchmen. SS's last issue is August '86 and Watchmen's 1st issue is cover dated Sep '86.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chojin View Post

It could be delayed due to Marvel's date change? SpeedyHen shouldn't cancel any preorders for conquest since the bulk of the shipment will still be incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I've never read Squadron Supreme, but have heard all the praises over the years. The major thing that is kind of a turn off for me is the artwork. It seems simplistic compared to today's stories (and even compared to many published back when this was originally released). Let's face it Bob Hall was no Byrne, Miller, or Zeck. And that logo! Man, it just looks like a bad 80s comic!

Besides that, I find that most of the work I've read by Gruenwald is a bit of a chore to get thru. I liked some of his Cap run (Society of Serpents Epic, The Captain storyline) but some of it was absurd (Cap Wolf, Fighting Chance, etc). A lot of the times most of his stories seem needlessly overly dramatic, or over-written, if that makes any sense.

What's weird is it preceeds Watchmen. SS's last issue is August '86 and Watchmen's 1st issue is cover dated Sep '86.
    Well, I can see what you mean about the art, although I didn't mind it. Yes, it is 80's art, very bright, very colorful, not veering off into the 90's stances and disproportions, so it was okay. And yes, it is full on 80's type of dialogue, meaning LOTS of dialouge, thought bubbles, all that stuff some of us love from back then, and some of us hate vs. today's comics.

The whole concept of the series was "what if super heroes decided to take over the world to make it a utopian society?" which is interesting. It might've been done at DC via Kingdom Come or one of those types of elseworlds books, but I don't read DC so I don't know. And this preceeded that by a lot. It really made the team gritty and real-world, in that not everyone likes each other, there's various romances, backstabbing, abuses of power, mental breakdowns, the whole thing. It gets somewhat into the high concept of "should we be doing this" sort of thing, banter amongst the heroes, some descent among the group about doing this or that. It's all done extremely well. And while you don't like every character, they are all pretty fleshed out over the 12 issues, which makes the 12th issue that much more spectacular.

While it's NOT a quick read, and albeit not super easy on the eyes (although I didn't mind the artwork at all), I would highly recommend it. Perhaps see if your local library has a TPB to read. I can see the loose comparisons to Watchmen, but it's not really apples to apples, in my opinion. And I also get what you say about some of Gru's storylines being a little "out there", but he was on the same book (Cap) for what, like 10 years or something? He's bound to have a few missteps, right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I just finished the new BPRD 46-48 HC last night. Loved it!

Ah yes, times were great and then it all went to hell. The Braves choked against the Yankees in '96 (screw you, Mark Wohlers!), the bomb went off at Bud World, the lame as president of the Olympics didn't declare Atlanta's "the best ever" (like he did for all previous ones), and then there was the X-Men.

Coincidence? I think not.

I'm blaming all this on Bobby Cox and a bunch of crappy Olympic vendors. And MARTA.
    Up 2-0 on the Yankess by blowing them out by like 10 runs per game or something silly like that, then coming home and leading 6-0 in the sixth inning of game three? Sounds like repeat champs, right? Nope! Stupid Braves. Am I still sore about it 19 years later? MAYBE! But...there's been lots of great times in ATL sports since, right? Right? RIGHT?!

... (crickets) ....

To keep things on topic, since the board's been slow the past few days, what's everyone's latest Omnibus buy that you really enjoyed? My last one that I bought new to read was Uncanny Avengers. I thought it was ok, not great. What a weird read. The first arc was a prelude to AXIS then that got forgotten for 2/3 of the series which morphed into a strange continuation of Uncanny X-Force, then BAM! Back to AXIS again before ending on a cliffhanger. So strange...

I also picked up Wolverine by Millar from an amazon marketplace seller since it's apparently OOP and rumors that the next Wolverine movie will be based on Old Man Logan. With the way X-Omnis tend to appreciate in value, I'm hoping to flip it on down the line.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

just saw the first annihilation omnibus at my lcs. really tempted to pick it up but the dust jacket was kinda beat up. the book itself looked in good condition though. what do you guys think? pay cover for a used copy or 250 for a sealed copy? lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    just saw the first annihilation omnibus at my lcs. really tempted to pick it up but the dust jacket was kinda beat up. the book itself looked in good condition though. what do you guys think? pay cover for a used copy or 250 for a sealed copy? lol
    If it's just for you, get it for the collection. As long as the spine looks ok on a shelf.....

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    Ask for a discount because it's not mint. You may get a good deal out of it
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Edited. :-)
    Last edited by Sasha; 07-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.