Page 1002 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 25029029529929989991000100110021003100410051006101210521102 ... LastLast
Results 15,016 to 15,030 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I've never read Squadron Supreme, but have heard all the praises over the years. The major thing that is kind of a turn off for me is the artwork. It seems simplistic compared to today's stories (and even compared to many published back when this was originally released). Let's face it Bob Hall was no Byrne, Miller, or Zeck. And that logo! Man, it just looks like a bad 80s comic!

Besides that, I find that most of the work I've read by Gruenwald is a bit of a chore to get thru. I liked some of his Cap run (Society of Serpents Epic, The Captain storyline) but some of it was absurd (Cap Wolf, Fighting Chance, etc). A lot of the times most of his stories seem needlessly overly dramatic, or over-written, if that makes any sense.
    What's weird is it preceeds Watchmen. SS's last issue is August '86 and Watchmen's 1st issue is cover dated Sep '86.
    Merrick would disagree. I haven't read much Gruenwald, myself. Wasn't he responsible for all that great work on the first two volumes of OHOTMU?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Busby View Post
    Does anyone consider Werewolf By Night a "must buy?" I'm a huge Universal Monsters fan, however I don't have a frame of reference for this series other than reading the first appearance of Moon Knight. Sadly, the series has been omitted from Marvel Unlimited.
    It's a must buy for me because I'm a big "classic monsters" fan, but it's not some undiscovered gem or anything. (I believe a Marvel editor was once quoted as saying, "There is no such thing as an 'Essential' Werewolf by Night.") The Mike Ploog art is fantastic, but he only did the first few issues and I think a few later ones. Most of the rest of the series has art that's serviceable, but that's about it. Likewise, some of the writing is good, but it's very Seventies -- satanic cults, motorcycle gangs, truckers, etc. Most werewolf stories rely on the protagonist not knowing he's a werewolf until it's too late, but the nature of a serialized medium means Jack has to be incredibly dumb to keep getting caught unaware whenever the full moon rises.

But, lest I turn you off it, it's a fun read as a period piece and if you're a fan of monsters. He gets to fight Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster, team up with Morbius and Man-Thing, try to mate with Tigra, etc. Just don't go in expecting a long-form classic like Tomb of Dracula. There's much more of a "making this up as we go along" vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Up 2-0 on the Yankess by blowing them out by like 10 runs per game or something silly like that, then coming home and leading 6-0 in the sixth inning of game three? Sounds like repeat champs, right? Nope! Stupid Braves. Am I still sore about it 19 years later? MAYBE! But...there's been lots of great times in ATL sports since, right? Right? RIGHT?!

... (crickets) ....

To keep things on topic, since the board's been slow the past few days, what's everyone's latest Omnibus buy that you really enjoyed? My last one that I bought new to read was Uncanny Avengers. I thought it was ok, not great. What a weird read. The first arc was a prelude to AXIS then that got forgotten for 2/3 of the series which morphed into a strange continuation of Uncanny X-Force, then BAM! Back to AXIS again before ending on a cliffhanger. So strange...

I also picked up Wolverine by Millar from an amazon marketplace seller since it's apparently OOP and rumors that the next Wolverine movie will be based on Old Man Logan. With the way X-Omnis tend to appreciate in value, I'm hoping to flip it on down the line.
    Same here, Uncanny Avengers. If they removed everything about the Red Skull it would be really great. Although sometimes I feel like Remender could do with a little less grim.

I can't believe UA was the last omnibus or big OHC from Marvel but I just looked around my collection and realized that I've been buying much less Marvel books lately. A combination of lower quality, higher prices and uninteresting hardcovers has really slowed things down for me.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Has anyone else in the UK had any update from Amazon regarding what has happened to Annihilation: Conquest? It's a few days later being dispatched and Amazon, usually so good at sending apologetic automatic emails about missed releases, have been strangely silent
    Same here. Past the estimated delivery date now, yet no emails or notifications at all. Very strange. Very worrying. Especially given that the price has skyrocketed on Amazon UK now..

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Same here, Uncanny Avengers. If they removed everything about the Red Skull it would be really great. Although sometimes I feel like Remender could do with a little less grim.

I can't believe UA was the last omnibus or big OHC from Marvel but I just looked around my collection and realized that I've been buying much less Marvel books lately. A combination of lower quality, higher prices and uninteresting hardcovers has really slowed things down for me.
    If I'm not mistaken, Uncanny Avengers and Fraction's FF are the last two Marvel omnibus books I bought. My hatred of UA is well-known here, so I won't rehash, and Fraction's FF was serviceable at best.

I've got Annihilation Conquest on the way, which I do think I'll enjoy.

I think the most omnibus I got and liked was Orion by Simonson (DC).

(I certainly agree with you in the "slowed things down" department.)

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Uncanny Avengers and Fraction's FF are the last two Marvel omnibus books I bought. My hatred of UA is well-known here, so I won't rehash, and Fraction's FF was serviceable at best.

I've got Annihilation Conquest on the way, which I do think I'll enjoy.

I think the most omnibus I got and liked was Orion by Simonson (DC).

(I certainly agree with you in the "slowed things down" department.)
    Orion was my last omnibus, too. I can't remember the last Marvel omnibus I bought. The poor quality of Marvel Omnibuses have killed my collector's spirit.

Return Of The Winter Soldier was my last Marvel omnibus. Really enjoyed it, but Brubaker seemed ready to move on by this point. Seemed like all the story he wanted to tell was up to the events of Fear Itself. The Winter Soldier issues were much better than the Cap issues.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Return Of The Winter Soldier was my last Marvel omnibus. Really enjoyed it, but Brubaker seemed ready to move on by this point. Seemed like all the story he wanted to tell was up to the events of Fear Itself. The Winter Soldier issues were much better than the Cap issues.
    I agree, I still enjoyed it over all and he finished it strong with that last issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigganosis View Post
    By the way, does anyone have pictures of the new Cap by Bru omni?
    I have a few in here: http://productesdeneteja.com/thisish...ldier-omnibus/

This is an inventory site I keep for myself but open to comment and feedback.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Someone on the Omnibus Collector's Facebook group page is saying that his LCS has told him that the Annihilation Conquest Omni has gone OOP just from pre-orders.

I find that hard to believe, but that'd certainly be something if true.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Spectacular Member

Keep hearing awesome things about the Siege event and I want to get it in collected form. Should I save some money and go for the TPB/standard HC that just has the event and the extra issue, or go for the 376 page OHC? InStockTrades has it in stock, but I can't find anywhere what it collects. Book in question here:

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marv...E-HC/JUL110719
    "1000 Books Read in 2015" Status as of 8/11/2015: 706

Reading: Chew, 52

Someone on the Omnibus Collector's Facebook group page is saying that his LCS has told him that the Annihilation Conquest Omni has gone OOP just from pre-orders.

Mine has shipped from Indigo and should be here tomorrow or Monday.

Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

That doesn't sound right.

I mean, it'd be weird if true but as you said, hard to believe.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

if its true thats pretty crazy. so glad i picked it up on the first day

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    That doesn't sound right.

I mean, it'd be weird if true but as you said, hard to believe.
    Amazon.com, fr, de & IST all have it in stock. The only weird point is that amazon uk has it "on preorder" and the prices here in europe are mostly around at least 100€+ (shipped). There are definitely some signs that we might have a situation in a few weeks but I would not (yet) press the panic button. It's quite amazing that all the cosmic stuff sells out so quickly. Marvels publishing department should adjust the printing runs (Maybe they've already done it, let's wait a bit and see what will really happen).
    Last edited by Spirou; 06-25-2015 at 09:18 AM.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo