Page 101 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 51919798991001011021031041051111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    Speaking of I've been working on a reading order for my collection. Since Omnibus are so big and not convenient to switch back and forth I'm trying my best to make my list in the sense that you read one from start to finish before moving on. This can be problematic on very long runs like Byrne FF, Simonson Thor or Stern Spidey.
    Splitting up the runs definitely has its advantages though. I just finished Byrne 1 & 2 back to back, and to be honest I was burned out about half way through 2. Found myself powering through simply to get it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Splitting up the runs definitely has its advantages though. I just finished Byrne 1 & 2 back to back, and to be honest I was burned out about half way through 2. Found myself powering through simply to get it finished.
    This happened to me when I read my WCA omnibuses back to back. I think this is a good point. Unless it's a huge, one-big-arc kinda story (ala Bru's Cap or Hickman's FF), jumping around might not be a bad idea.
    I'm currently most way through SA FF vol. 1 and was going to jump right into Vol. 2, but I'm rethinking that now; it might be better to take a break into different decade's material or something.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I just found this on Amazon; it's NOT the omnibus, but with lots of comic images in it. $146 for 720 pages, but it mentions an "XL format", so I'm guessing it's a large coffee-table type book. Seems pretty pricey to me, but wanted to post here for those interested. I love this background info, but that's waaaaay too expensive for me.

What a great find!. They finally brought out one for Marvel, I'd been hoping that Taschen would make a history of Marvel book after doing the DC book years ago. There expensive at $200 but Taschen books are works of art, size-wise it's the same dimensions as the Marvel Adamantium book.

Because only the denizens of this thread can truly appreciate it: I found 3 of my last five Holy Grail OHC's only three weeks apart. Earth X, House of M, and Secret War. All for less than cover in Very Fine+ condition. Joy!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Because only the denizens of this thread can truly appreciate it: I found 3 of my last five Holy Grail OHC's only three weeks apart. Earth X, House of M, and Secret War. All for less than cover in Very Fine+ condition. Joy!
    Good finds! What's left?

For sure, that's why I separated the 2 Byrne's FF a bit but it's trickier with a single thick omni like Simonson Thor.

Nice finds! I still need to find House of M (can't remember if I don't have it because it's not OHC.)
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Good finds! What's left?
    The Ultimates Omnibus and along with the rest of you...

ASM Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    This happened to me when I read my WCA omnibuses back to back. I think this is a good point. Unless it's a huge, one-big-arc kinda story (ala Bru's Cap or Hickman's FF), jumping around might not be a bad idea.
    I'm currently most way through SA FF vol. 1 and was going to jump right into Vol. 2, but I'm rethinking that now; it might be better to take a break into different decade's material or something.
    I year ya. I get burned out by long series runs when read altogether if I read them too close together. That's why I really like buying the MMW HCs or Epic TPs. You read about one years' worth of stories then move on to the next title.

I read the Walking Dead OHCs v1-6 all in 7-10 days just prior to the launch of the AMC TV show and I couldn't put it down! But by the time I got to the end I just felt....bad. Too much gore & violence for one read thru.

I tried to read Byrne FF v1, but got burned out by the stories at the beginning (where he was only doing the art) and just put it back on the shelf. Haven't started on v2 yet, but am looking forward to it.

The one Omni/OHC run where I didn't have this problem was the Spidey by Stern Omni. Man, I loved that thing! The early Spectacular Spidey stories were a bit tedious to get thru but by the time I made it to the ASM issues with JRjr, I was stoked! I finished the whole thing in approximately 2 weeks, probably reading an hour or so at night before bed. I like reading in the evenings as it helps my mind "veg out and turn off" before going to sleep. Reading those great stories, it's easy to forget about work, stress, etc.

Last week I just bought the Kelly Deadpool Omni and the Classic TP v1, but held of buying the Classic TPs v6-9 because I knew I'd be burned out by the time I finished the Omni. One day I'll finish out the run and get the rest of the classic TPs to finish the original DP run.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    What a great find!. They finally brought out one for Marvel, I'd been hoping that Taschen would make a history of Marvel book after doing the DC book years ago. There expensive at $200 but Taschen books are works of art, size-wise it's the same dimensions as the Marvel Adamantium book.
    That Taschen DC book is great but what a space hog! Just last weekend we finished up my son's new bedroom (formerly my man cave & comic library room) and I'd forgotten what a huge book it was. It's now sitting in the back of a spare closet because I literally have nowhere else to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Amazon lists it as having 176 pages. I don't have my copy yet but will tomorrow. I am really curious to what the other stuff is because Moore's contribution is around less than half of that page count. Book two will have 6 issues, which is better. This follows the map of the original HCs. I suspect there is to be lots of non-Alan Moore stuff.

I think an omni is going to be in the $125 range, if not more, when it does eventually come out. I base that on the fact that the issues were reworked by Cory and the MMW team(the issues look great), single issues were pricey and now the HCs are, too.

I do wonder what will happen to the back issue market once 15 and more importantly, 16, come out? 16 is expensive and the reprint is only about a year away.

The costs stink but Miracleman is one of my favorites ever and Marvel has me hook, line and sinker on this one.
    Two quick points from me: First, I've never read this series but have heard all the praises over the years. It's probably one of the last "classic runs" that I haven't read (allegedly up there will Miller DD, Batman Year One and DKR, Watchmen, Moore's Swamp Thing, Simonson Thor, Byrne FF, Claremont X-Men, etc. I can't wait to read the series but I will not pay those overrated prices. It's crazy. I'm holding out for the eventual OHC/Omnibus when the re-releases run their course.

Second point, back issue prices aside from "key" issues are D-E-A-D. I used to have a massive collection of over 10k back issues accumulated from 30 years of reading and collecting since I was an elementary school age kid. Over the last 10 years I've sold them all off or traded them in for store credit and replaced key runs with Epic TPs or OHCs. Sure issues like Hulk 181, 340, Spidey 238, 300, New Mutants 87, 98, Supes 75, etc and other key issues will always be in demand and get high selling prices, but for the most part, modern collected editions have dried up demand for once-hot back issue single issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Avenue View Post
    It's not a popular opinion but I think digital is the way to go. I'm personally tired of having a ton of books taking up space, especially now that my wife and I have started having kids. Knowing that my comic room/office is going to be a kid room #2 kind of takes me out of collecting.

What it has done is gotten me back into singles with the digital code. It's actually fun to build a little collection of books for my son to check out when he's a little bit older, while still adding to my digital collection.
    I'm in the same boat as you, man. My son's new bedroom used to be my comic cave. And with #2 on the way, I had to clear a lot of space to make room for the kids. All part of growing up!

I slashed my comic horde down from about 20 long boxes worth of single issues and 20+ ikea shelves worth of HCs and TPs down to about 4 long boxes, and 12 or so ikea shelves worth of collected editions (which can nicely be hid behind bookshelf doors)! I held on to the ones I wanted to keep the most: Spidey, Hulk, X-Men collected runs and key single issues and runs from various series.

That being said, I'm just not into digital for some reason. It's ok to read an issue here or there but on my iPad when travelling but I like actually holding a comic book in my hands when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    After nearly three long years, I was finally able to pick up The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, containing among it's 35 issues the 28 that were drawn by Todd McFarlane. This has been probably my most wanted comic item for the last few years, but the price ($99) was always a problem. But I came into some extra money recently, so was able to snag a (new) copy off Amazon Marketplace for a good deal.

Just flipping through the pages, it looks great. Can't wait to dig in, because until now I've only read a few scattered issues from McFarlane's run here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Your post reminded me that I wanted this. I still think Todd draws the best Spidey. Not for everyone, I guess. Ended up buying one. Thanks.
    This book is AWESOME! One of my favorite all time comic runs on my favorite character! The stories hold up pretty well in re-reading nowadays. It and the Stern Spidey are my two favorite Marvel Omnibus books and ones I'll read several times. I actually have 2 copies of the McFarlane Spidey book, one with each cover. I'd originally ordered via amazon with credit and got it for cheap but really wanted the black & white costume cover. When the B&W cover started to sell out I grabbed one from IST for cheap with the idea of selling the o red & black cover used after I'd read thru it but I never sold it! Ha! Collector OCD. What can you do...

ASM Civil War
    LOL Love it.

There's gotta be a box of mint copies somewhere meant for us...
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

I agree. Whenever I have a long series - for example, right now I'm reading the New Avengers run in omni and OHC - I read one book, then alternate with another series, preferably non-super hero or something that won't remind me of New Avengers. For example, I wouldn't want to jump into a big run of Spidey or even a team book like JLA or JSA.

Incredible Member

I'd just like to make a PSA that if all of you could please purchase X-Factor by Peter David: The Complete Collection Volumes 1 and 2, that would be great.

There's approximately another 5 volumes worth of Complete Collection material for that run and I can't have sales lagging so that Marvel discontinues this particular collection line for the title.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I'd just like to make a PSA that if all of you could please purchase X-Factor by Peter David: The Complete Collection Volumes 1 and 2, that would be great.

There's approximately another 5 volumes worth of Complete Collection material for that run and I can't have sales lagging so that Marvel discontinues this particular collection line for the title.
    I second this idea! Loved volume 1, and I've got volume 2 and Messiah Complex on the way from IST. Check this series out! I'm sure glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post

I bought Volume 1, but I still want an Omnibus. Same with Journey Into Mystery by Gillen.

I've also feel run fatigue while going through my stacks, so I often switch between readings. Just finished the Micheline Ironman and though I enjoyed it, I scanned through the last few issues just to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    For sure, that's why I separated the 2 Byrne's FF a bit but it's trickier with a single thick omni like Simonson Thor.

Nice finds! I still need to find House of M (can't remember if I don't have it because it's not OHC.)
    Simonson Thor was easily one of those thick omnibus that I had no issue with reading cover to cover.

Not sure if I read this correctly, but House of M is ohc .

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I agree. Whenever I have a long series - for example, right now I'm reading the New Avengers run in omni and OHC - I read one book, then alternate with another series, preferably non-super hero or something that won't remind me of New Avengers. For example, I wouldn't want to jump into a big run of Spidey or even a team book like JLA or JSA.
    I usually swap between genres also. This is especially true if I read a SA book. I can do multiple modern books in a row, but if it's a drag, I'll usually swap to a completely different book, e.g, secret wars to hellboy to Waid DD to Locke & key to Saga. It keeps each book fresh and helps me hit multiple points in my backlog.
    Last edited by GenericUserName12; 05-29-2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Formatting

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Good for you PP! Earth X not so much, but yes, I'm constantly on the look out for House of M and Secret War, ever hoping.

The Ultimates Omnibus and along with the rest of you...

ASM Civil War
    Awesome One of my cats has a very similar stare when he doesn't get what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    LOL Love it.

There's gotta be a box of mint copies somewhere meant for us...
    In some LCS back storeroom, right?
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 05-29-2014 at 01:19 AM.