Page 107 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 757971031041051061071081091101111171572076071107 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 17378
    Amazing Member

Does the first omnibus finish with the Dark Phoenix saga or is it in the second one?

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    I waited too long, which I do sometimes. Now I have the crossover companion which I found liquidated but no Acts of Vengeance. I either jump in and get the book too soon before good deals or I wait too long and miss out on the book.
    That's why I just buy the stuff I want when it comes out. Sure, waiting might save you $20-$30 if you find a good sale later, but it could also cost you $100-$150 (or more) if it goes out of print. Not worth the risk, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ptitjaune View Post
    Does the first omnibus finish with the Dark Phoenix saga or is it in the second one?
    The main part of the saga is in the second omnibus. The first several issues which introduced the White Queen and Kitty Pryde, however, are in the first one. Yeah, it's weird how they split it up, but I guess some sagas are just too epic for one omnibus!

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    It looks very minor, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you've read the book it won't concern you that much. I'm always picky about stuff when I first unwrap it but once it is on the shelf its not that big of a deal.
    Thanks, I ended up keeping it. I actually took a fine point black sharpie and colored in the white spots. Now you can only see the flaw if you really look for it, and it isn't noticeable at all from the bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I'm going to catch hell for this but I'm going to say it anyway. I just read X-Men DoFP for the first time yesterday and was completely underwhelmed. It seems like a case of a comic milestone or function of "...for the time" then an amazing story all by itself. Everything set in the future was interesting but everything in the present was generic, mundane super hero fight.

My guess is the future scenario was something that really excited people at the time and they hadn't seen much of that and ever since it has lived in infamy. It's a stark contrast from a story like Dark Phoenix.

Try and be kind!
    Captain Planet! For shame! I can't believe you said that. What planet are you from?

I imagine you're correct, though, about the future scenario having been beat to death like a horse in the street by Marvel subsequently. Would you like it better if they got Hickman to rewrite the whole story into a 36-issue arc, with 6 mediocre artists drawing it that you would enjoy in an omnibus. ;-)

P.S. I hope that wasn't too mean.
    Last edited by DrGregatron; 05-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Spider-Fan View Post
    That's why I just buy the stuff I want when it comes out. Sure, waiting might save you $20-$30 if you find a good sale later, but it could also cost you $100-$150 (or more) if it goes out of print. Not worth the risk, IMHO.
    Did you know you get 50% of cover price if you order from Cheap Graphic Novels the week of release. 45% there after. (Shipping is $7 no matter how many books you order.) ? Or In Stock Trades offers a 42% discount and free shipping on all orders over $50. Why wait when you can get big discounts now? Both have good service and great packing.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I'm about to give up in finding an Acts of Vengeance Omnibus. I've been looking for a while and my only option is overpriced Canadian Amazon marketplace prices. Anyone got a lead for a fellow forum member (puppy dog eyes)
    I could never refuse puppy dog eyes, so here's my pitch. As mentioned earlier to a couple of our fellow posters, I bought my AoV for around $72 from multiversum.pl, a Polish online comics store. At present, they have it at cover price i.e. PLN 310 which is around $100. If you spend above PLN 249, you get a 5% discount. The owner told me he occasionally sends abroad. I sent an OHC to Canada last year and if I remember correctly it cost around $25-30 to ship it. It did, however, take about a month to get there as it was the cheaper option. If you need any further info., send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Captain Planet! For shame! I can't believe you said that. What planet are you from?

I imagine you're correct, though, about the future scenario having been beat to death like a horse in the street by Marvel subsequently. Would you like it better if they got Hickman to rewrite the whole story into a 36-issue arc, with 6 mediocre artists drawing it that you would enjoy in an omnibus. ;-)

P.S. I hope that wasn't too mean.
    Haha, only if the omnibus was over-priced!

I'm about to give up in finding an Acts of Vengeance Omnibus. I've been looking for a while and my only option is overpriced Canadian Amazon marketplace prices. Anyone got a lead for a fellow forum member (puppy dog eyes)
    I have this site: isbns.tk which I check regularly for price comparison. It's not perfect but I've found some good deals with it.
    According to that, it seems that BookMob.ca has the AoV omni for C$80,59.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Did you know you get 50% of cover price if you order from Cheap Graphic Novels the week of release. 45% there after. (Shipping is $7 no matter how many books you order.) ? Or In Stock Trades offers a 42% discount and free shipping on all orders over $50. Why wait when you can get big discounts now? Both have good service and great packing.
    I place an order of at least $50 with instocktrades.com almost every week. If it's something I really want, I see no reason to wait. Sure, I might save a little money waiting for some kind of sale or clearance, but I also might miss out and end up paying a lot more once it goes out of print.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Finally got the Uncanny X Force omnibus. Man, this book is good. So Uncanny Avengers is what you read after this right?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Finally got the Uncanny X Force omnibus. Man, this book is good. So Uncanny Avengers is what you read after this right?
    Uncanny Avengers picks up some of the plots Remender had intended for UXF (Onslaught, Apocalypse Twins), but it's not really a direct sequel in terms of narrative threads. Remender also continues the Father story thread into his three-volume run on Secret Avengers.

There's also the Tabula Rasa arc in UXMv2 #5-8 and the continued Psylocke/Fantomex psycho-sexual drama in Uncanny X-Force, Vol. 2 (which is not great).
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    I'll be in Taiwan for the next two months so I figured it'll be a good opportunity to clear up some of my backlog.
    Ever since watching DOFP I've been excited to finally read some Apocalypse stories so I'm definitely bringing Age of Apocalypse omnibus with me along with Uncanny X-Force omnibus which is coming in my mail sometime in the next few days..but I'm having some trouble deciding what else.

I got:
    -Uncanny Avengers 2 & 3 HC
    -Planetary Omnibus
    -Thor by Straczynski Omnibus
    -Iron Man by Fraction OHC
    -X-Statix Omnibus
    -Eternals by Gaiman
    -Secret Warriors Omnibus
    -X-cutioner's Song OHC
    -Punisher by Remender Omnibus
    -52 Omnibus
    -Iron Man by Michelinie/JRJR Omnibus
    -ASM by Michelinie/McFarlane Omnibus
    -ASM vol.2 by Stan Lee Omnibus
    -Sleeper Omnibus
    -Untold Tales of Spider-man Omnibus
    -Ult. Fantastic Four OHC
    -Ult. X-men 3 OHC
    -Ultimates by Millar 1 & 2 OHC
    -Ult. Spider-man 4 & 5 OHC
    -Avengers by Bendis Omnibus

I don't want to burn myself out on too much of one character/team or even genre and I'm aiming to keep the weight of books below 30-40 lbs since my limit is 50 for the luggage. The only other things I have packed are lightweight clothes since it's hot over there and I'll be keeping most if not all my electronics in my backpack.
    My recommendation is..... nothing!
    Get yourself some lightweight TPBs and thank me later. Trust me I've traveled in Asia and I purposely packed as little as possible going there and still came back overloaded. you're likely to buy a bunch of stuff on your trip and you need the margin.
    Plus a trip like that means connections (probably) and lots of packing, unpacking, bumping.... so I don't know how your Omnis will look after the trip, so better to get tpbs that can get beat up....
    Better yet, since you have the omnis just download the issues and read them on your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Eh, there's a stinker here and there like any long-running series but it's fairly consistent from 1-350. That would be my ideal stopping point. After that, things got messy with the return of Pete's robot parents, Harry going crazy as the GG again, and the clone saga.

One thing that helped was the consistency of the writing team. Stan Lee was in charge of the book all the way through roughly 1972 I think (around ish 118), then it was Gerry Conway which was pretty consistent.

By the mid #150s you have Len Wein on board as writer and the book kind of flounders a bit except for a fun issue here or there. Marv Wolfman comes on board as you approach #200 and it was ok. Good not great. Then around ish #207 Denny O'Neil comes on board as writer up until the Stern issues.

O'Neil's run is largely regarded as forgettable although there are fun issues in it as well. If you haven't read the Sandman vs Hydro Man 2 parter, that's a great one to pick up. Also there's battles against the Sub-Mariner, the Frightful 4, the intro of Hydro Man, Madame Web, and Calypso. Plus the Black Cat's second appearances in 204-205 and an early Moon Knight appearance.
    Start with the idea that I haven't read anything at all
    So far the only Marvel I've read is ASM1, UToSM and getting through ASM2 and I know for sure I'm going to read a least to 130 without skipping anything.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Incredible Member

If you're close to Winnipeg, Comics America has it!

You guys are all seriously the best. I'm exploring all these options right now. Thanks!
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.