Page 12 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622621125121012 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zeze View Post
    Nice.

The Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus is my favorite omnibus because like you I grew up on it and is what really got me into comics. I can keep rereading that omnibus and I can never get bored. I suggest getting the Death of Spider-Man omnibus as well (I was able to get a new copy from Ebay for $25 a couple months ago but it seems the prices have gone up now). Now hopefully we can get Vol 2 when TASM2 hits blu-ray/DVD (but I doubt it).
    I too am hoping for this to tie in with the release of the DVD.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Hey everyone. It took me some time, but I finally figured it all out! It's good to see everyone back here again. I can't wait for the great advice, pics and conversations that inform my purchases.
    Welcome back man
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    Are you sure it's thinner than newsprint? I would've thought newsprint was more the Essential style. I am no expert on paper but if newsprint paper is like a newspaper then the Epics are far thicker than that... Apologies If I am inaccurate here.
    Suffice to say the Epics are great. Excellencent reproduction and a focus on competing huge classic (and sometimes not so classic) runs.
    Trust me, the Epic paper is thinner.

Newsprint means the paper is newsprint grade, but it can vary in thickness. Not all newspapers have the same thickness paper.

Just checking Essential ASM vol. 9, 100 leaves (200 pages) is just over half an inch thick.
    For the Daredevil Epic, 100 leaves is just over 5/16 of an inch. Same number of pages but the Epic is thinner.
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 05-01-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Glad to see the powers that be made the decision to merge the threads and open it up to trades and non-oversized books.

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    The only thing holding me back from the epics is the spines. I saw pics in the old thread with the little horizontal line at different places on the spine. Do you think they will line up with each character volume? From what I've seen there is about a two inch zone where the line will randomly appear. I would probably only get the spiderman volumes, so that's why I'm asking. I know its a petty thing to worry about, but the books will spend more time on my shelf then me actually reading them.
    The lines were designed to line up with each other (according to Jephyork when the design was first revealed) but I guess trimming and sloppiness have crapped on that.

Personally I'm a big fan of the spine design. Even though the lines don't line up I think it's a nice clean design. It reminds me of the Dredd casefiles.

BANNED

Whoa. I took at break for a while, come back, and see all this happened.

Good to see this thread is back and rolling.

Chapters has been very frustrating lately. For months I was able to use both a $5 off coupon and a 5% off coupon. Now the Roger Stern omni has come out and just when I really want that extra five bucks off (anything to diminish the impact of a $92 omni) the coupons have stopped working. Grr. If it wasnt for the SSM content I might actually wait for the Epics, because even if they are expensive by TPB standards that cost is spread out over months or years and paying $27 for 450 pages three times works out to less than paying $92 for 1300 pages.

On the plus side, IST's shipping to Canada is cheap enough to be worth it for large orders of TPBs. If I buy six trades there I can save 10 bucks vs buying domestically. This benegit does not seem to apply to omnis.
    Last edited by CrazyOldHermit; 05-01-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Chapters has been very frustrating lately. For months I was able to use both a $5 off coupon and a 5% off coupon. Now the Roger Stern omni has come out and just when I really want that extra five bucks off (anything to diminish the impact of a $92 omni) the coupons have stopped working. Grr. If it wasnt for the SSM content I might actually wait for the Epics, because even if they are expensive by TPB standards that cost is spread out over months or years and paying $27 for 450 pages three times works out to less than paying $92 for 1300 pages.
    Yeah, it's too bad they don't work (and, further, haven't released any new coupons since December, I think).

Still prefer Chapters over Amazon (most times) b/c Chapters packs their books better for shipping; I have yet to get a book with a ding, gouge, or crumple.

I don't know why Amazon doesn't just copy Chapters "fold over" boxes for their books. It seems to be a little simpler than Amazon's approach of cram book in box and fill in empty space with crumpled paper. Not very effective.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Very happy to be back - I was having a panic attack that I had been locked out of CBR when it kept telling me it didn't know my password!

I'm sad to hear our troves of great material in the old threads are on their way to the garbage heap, but I'm excited to be looking forward to on-topic discussion with a group of people I very much like and respect.

I'm drowning in new oversized books lately - I finished Infinity in time for the Infinity and AoA Companions to get to my house, but I also have DoFP and UXMv2 waiting in the wings! Meanwhile, I'm still working through each Marvel title from circa Civil War era to present. I just paused Thunderbolts just before Shadowland to catch up on Brubaker Daredevil, which I am LOVING.

What's the next oversize book you expect to show up on your doorstep?

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Nothing until Infinity Gauntlet for me, which will provide a nice break for me to try to catch up on my (ever growing) backlog.

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Yeah, it's too bad they don't work (and, further, haven't released any new coupons since December, I think).

Still prefer Chapters over Amazon (most times) b/c Chapters packs their books better for shipping; I have yet to get a book with a ding, gouge, or crumple.

I don't know why Amazon doesn't just copy Chapters "fold over" boxes for their books. It seems to be a little simpler than Amazon's approach of cram book in box and fill in empty space with crumpled paper. Not very effective.
    I definitely feel like I got to them late in the game. At least I managed to get deals on ASM Vol 1 and DD by Miller.

Spectacular Member

Very happy to be back - I was having a panic attack that I had been locked out of CBR when it kept telling me it didn't know my password!

I'm sad to hear our troves of great material in the old threads are on their way to the garbage heap, but I'm excited to be looking forward to on-topic discussion with a group of people I very much like and respect.

I'm drowning in new oversized books lately - I finished Infinity in time for the Infinity and AoA Companions to get to my house, but I also have DoFP and UXMv2 waiting in the wings! Meanwhile, I'm still working through each Marvel title from circa Civil War era to present. I just paused Thunderbolts just before Shadowland to catch up on Brubaker Daredevil, which I am LOVING.

I just ordered a copy of the Iron Fist Omnibus from Plumcircle on Amazon for...

...drumroll please....

$45. Lets see of it arrives in decent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerd the nerd View Post
    Trust me, the Epic paper is thinner.

Newsprint means the paper is newsprint grade, but it can vary in thickness. Not all newspapers have the same thickness paper.

Just checking Essential ASM vol. 9, 100 leaves (200 pages) is just over half an inch thick.
    For the Daredevil Epic, 100 leaves is just over 5/16 of an inch. Same number of pages but the Epic is thinner.
    Yeah thanks for that. We were having a brief conversation about that over at MMW board. Paper is thinner but obviously better quality and stiffer due to its finish. It's great paper. Actually feels like a proper comic book as opposed to the overly glossy HCs.

I'm not certain of the release dates, but I expect to get the following soon (relatively):

Kirby New Gods Artist Edition
    Steranko Artist Edition(s)
    GI Joe Complete OHC vol 5

After waiting years for Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol 2 to come out, I was so disappointed that the paper was so thin, that I don't see any new Marvel omnibuses I want to waste my money on in the coming months.

Well it arrived today - Tomb Of Dracula Omnibus Vol 3 - Colan DM cover. V good deal on Alibris for 45 euro incl delivery. After that probably UXM Omni Vol 2

Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus.

So much talk of Epic Collections I have been looking into them. I would probably just get Spider-man and Avengers ones since I have gaps there that bother me. Can anyone talk to the quality of the stories in those Epics?

I'll probably post some pics of my stuff later.