Page 210 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310710 ... LastLast
Results 3,136 to 3,150 of 17378
    Amazing Member

Big news in today's solicits: Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mixmaster View Post
    Big news in today's solicits: Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus.
    I see Omnibus and I were typing at te same time!

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    What is that like 2.5x the cost per page of a Dark Horse Star Wars omnibus TPB? Is that a Star Wars tax or a new crappy price structure?
    It will make the X-Men tax look like child's play.

BTW anyone notice that it does not say Volume 1? Is this a one and done deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    It will make the X-Men tax look like child's play.

880 pages with 44 issues and 1 annual, that's only 19.5 pages an issue. While I do believe there is definitely a "Star Wars Tax" at play, I'm thinking that page count is not correct. Or it doesn't contain ~45 issues. Plus you gotta think there will be some kind of extras, if only just some introductory essay by someone. As far as no volume number, if it will take 3 volumes, I guess it's anyone's guess if they will put the volume #s on the spine or what. I would think if they do one they'll do all three. Regardless of the content (a lot of it silly), anything SW related is like printing money - a lot of us (me included) would buy all 3 in a heartbeat, so I doubt they would only do the first volume and stop.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    880 pages with 44 issues and 1 annual, that's only 19.5 pages an issue. While I do believe there is definitely a "Star Wars Tax" at play, I'm thinking that page count is not correct. Or it doesn't contain ~45 issues. Plus you gotta think there will be some kind of extras, if only just some introductory essay by someone. As far as no volume number, if it will take 3 volumes, I guess it's anyone's guess if they will put the volume #s on the spine or what. I would think if they do one they'll do all three. Regardless of the content (a lot of it silly), anything SW related is like printing money - a lot of us (me included) would buy all 3 in a heartbeat, so I doubt they would only do the first volume and stop.
    Seems correct to me, if you note that the trades took 960 pages to collect up to issues 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Maybe it was 18 pages/issue and the other 5 pages were backup stories which won't be included in the omnibus? Donno, never read SW comics, but it's not uncommon that the main story isn't 23 pages long.

Spectacular Member

What is that like 2.5x the cost per page of a Dark Horse Star Wars omnibus TPB? Is that a Star Wars tax or a new crappy price structure?
    I'm going to stick with the trades, I've got two of them already. I can't justify spending $125 (x3?) on old StarWars comics. I've not bought any of the new breed of 800 page $125 books and I'm not about to start now, I guess this is the beginning of me being slowly priced out of collecting. Still the bright side is I've got a huge backlog to read so in the next year or two when the defacto price is $50 trades and $150 omnibus I'll still have years of great material to read through.

Be interested in how others are handling the price gauging, anyone being more careful with which books they get?, what's your personal tipping point where you say your out?.

Another option is just to buy less books, but I don't like to feel ripped off so I'll probably take it on a book by book basis. Case in point the new Dark Horse Sin City book, beautifully made and way better value than a Marvel book, but it's not something I REALLY want to read so I cancelled my pre-order.

This was my concern. We're seeing more and more omnibuses with a $125 price tag that are under 1,000 pages. I was hoping for a book like this but not for that price.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Maybe it was 18 pages/issue and the other 5 pages were backup stories which won't be included in the omnibus? Donno, never read SW comics, but it's not uncommon that the main story isn't 23 pages long.
    I just checked the trades and your correct, 17 story pages plus the cover per issues.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Hey, look what was waiting on my doorstep today:

Gently used for $56 and free shipping, can't beat that!

I found mine when I got home today too! Although mine was a little cheaper...

Also, great news on that Star Wars book. Literally my very first thought when I heard Disney had bought the property was "man, I hope we get some Omnibus volumes". I skipped Dark Horse's on account of them being shorter than a standard book. Wassa point in reprinting something in a smaller scale?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I'm going to stick with the trades, I've got two of them already. I can't justify spending $125 (x3?) on old StarWars comics. I've not bought any of the new breed of 800 page $125 books and I'm not about to start now, I guess this is the beginning of me being slowly priced out of collecting. Still the bright side is I've got a huge backlog to read so in the next year or two when the defacto price is $50 trades and $150 omnibus I'll still have years of great material to read through.

Be interested in how others are handling the price gauging, anyone being more careful with which books they get?, what's your personal tipping point where you say your out?.

Another option is just to buy less books, but I don't like to feel ripped off so I'll probably take it on a book by book basis. Case in point the new Dark Horse Sin City book, beautifully made and way better value than a Marvel book, but it's not something I REALLY want to read so I cancelled my pre-order.
    I've started buying less books and it looks like the Star Wars is the first omnibus that I would have bought had it been $75-100. I'll be picking up FF vol 2 and Cap vol 4 but if I'm paying $125 for those then I'm cutting other books and any future books at $125 have to be the most exciting books ever.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Price fixing? What?.
    Amazon UK are having a bit of a cuffufle with various UK publishers.

http://www.cityam.com/1403865368/ama...-publishers-uk

I have no idea if this delay is linked to that, but the timing seems to line up and I've never had any issues with Amazon getting me Omnis on time before for ones I pre-ordered as far in advance as this one, so I put two and two together and made an idea.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I've started buying less books and it looks like the Star Wars is the first omnibus that I would have bought had it been $75-100. I'll be picking up FF vol 2 and Cap vol 4 but if I'm paying $125 for those then I'm cutting other books and any future books at $125 have to be the most exciting books ever.
    Yes, exactly.
    That's actually what happened to me recently after Marvel issued the "Punisher" tax on Aaron's Max series. I opted not to get another omnibus that came out that I might otherwise have bought.

Glad to hear Marvel is publishing a SW Omni. I have the content already in the softcover DH Omni trades but am definitely on the fence about upgrading. The DH Omnis are ok, just small.

Someone earlier asked about the content of these SW comics. I'll freely admit they're not for everyone and your enjoyment of them will be heavily influenced by your nostalgia of that era of books, or for Star Wars material. The adaptions of SW & ESB are done pretty well, and there are a few hidden gems in the series as a whole, but there are plenty of stinkers in there as well (the Jaxxon green rabbit issues, etc).

I just checked the trades and your correct, 17 story pages plus the cover per issues.
    Comics from that era (late 70s/early 80s) had fewer story pages than nowadays. That's why when Marvel launched Classic X-Men in the late 80s, they padded out each issue with back up tales that expanded upon the material in the reprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Nah.....Marvel will milk this for all they can get! I expect we'll see many volumes down the line & reprints of the classic DH material as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I am going to wait it out and hope the Star Wars Omnibus goes on clearance down the line.

If X-Men titles can go on clearance.....so can Star Wars.