Page 235 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245285335735 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 17378
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I'm reading all of 616 at the moment, and I read Vol 1. a few batches back - loved it to the ground. Possibly in my top 10 of Marvel Now books.
    Superior foes is my number 1 favorite Marvel Now book. It rocks sooo much.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    I know this shouldn't bother me because they are a business, but does it annoy anyone else that CGN sometimes inflates prices to a ridiculous amount? The Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 HC is $89.99, although there are still plenty of copies available at Barnes & Noble and BAM. They've also jacked up some MMWs...$230 for Spidey Masterworks 10? $150 for Vol 13?

I'm sure this helps them to get a nice profit to make up for their other deals, but similarly structured sites don't do this. They are a business...blah blah blah...but it kind of turns me off. Anyone else feel this way?
    It bothers me, especially when I can still find lots of the same book on ebay or elsewhere for less than retail. But then again, there are plenty people who'd love to buy an OOP or near OOP book from CGN at 45% retail then put it on ebay for 200-400% over retail. So, choose your evil.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    SOLD. I'll buy anything with Opena art and that team made Fear Agent amazing. The sneak peak provided by Krisis sounds quite promising as well.

Solid reviews, Avengers World sounds great. As an aside Infinity messed up my Hickman Avengers PHC buying, what volume of New Avengers/Avengers should I be getting to follow on from the issues in the OHC?
    Avengers Vol. 5 Adapt or Die and New Avengers Vol. 3 Other Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson2099 View Post
    Avengers Vol. 5 Adapt or Die and New Avengers Vol. 3 Other Worlds
    Thanks a bunch, now I have a few Avengers PHCs to order.

Also to tie in with the Avengers movie next year is

The Avengers Vault

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Avenger...avengers+vault

I have the Marvel Vault and the Spider-man Vault. Great little collection of history in them. Wait a little while and the prices should go down on the Avengers one. Heck the Marvel vault was $10 at one point and you can get Spider-man for $6 plus shipping on Amazon.

For DC fans there is also DC Vault and a Batman Vault which are also very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by PrankT View Post
    That's disappointing. I guess Planetary will be my only "DC" omnibus, then.

Back to Marvel: Finishing up vol. 3 of Waid's Daredevil. I love this run so much.
    The Sleeper omnibus is one of my favorite Dc omni, I really recommend that. It's set in the Wildstorm universe like Planetary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac! View Post
    Disclaimer, I've never been a Marvel fan. Most of the stories seemed to be kind of childish and soap-opera-y in comparison to the great stories being told by Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, or any of the other countless, amazing Vertigo runs at DC. However, I found out that Peter Milligan actually worked on a comic called X-Statix, is it any good? It's only available in Omnibus, and I'm kind of wary of those, I previewed a few at my local LCS (They were MIGHTY THOR and Fantastic Four) and Marvel seems to do these awful reproductions of artwork, just very plastic and fake. Is this a major problem with Marvel Omni's. I only have SLEEPER and PLANETARY, so I'm kind of unfamiliar with them.
    X-Statix is standalone and very different than other X-Books. I recommend it a lot
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    They just officially announced a new Avengers OGN to tie in with the movie next year- Avengers: Rage of Ultron. Written by Remender with Opena on art. April 2015.
    Will buy. At some point, we are going to get a lot of Ultron but he is one of the best Avengers villains and the stories aren't usually clunkers. Plus, I like the creative team.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Also to tie in with the Avengers movie next year is

The Avengers Vault

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Avenger...avengers+vault

I have the Marvel Vault and the Spider-man Vault. Great little collection of history in them. Wait a little while and the prices should go down on the Avengers one. Heck the Marvel vault was $10 at one point and you can get Spider-man for $6 plus shipping on Amazon.

For DC fans there is also DC Vault and a Batman Vault which are also very cheap.

Neat. I'll prolly get this as I already have the first four they put out. I thought they were done making these, hopefully that means they'll get around to making a Superman one for DC.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    More than a few quick hits on recent Marvel Now collections - please forgive me if I've mentioned one or two of these before.

Generally, it's interesting how much the quality has stratified since the launch of Marvel Now, at which point every single title was Average or better. What a difference tightly coordinated editorial effort makes! This is the wild west, by comparison.

All-New X-Factor, Vol. 1: Not Brand X. 2/5. It pains me to rate a PAD book as average, but the weak plotting and terrible combination of art and colors here is a wash (so much yellow and orange and purple - it's horrid). The good news is this is treated mostly as a Gambit solo title starring Polaris and Quicksilver, and that aspect of it works pretty well. However, that means David's team-as-family strong-suit is out the window.

Amazing X-Men, Vol. 1: 2/5. If you liked WatX but wish it didn't have students in it, this book is for you. You know I don't like Aaron except for on Thor, and this is no exception. It tries hard for giddy mid-100s Claremont and misses by a Chuck Austen mile.

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 12: 4/5. Three distinctly incredibly stories here - a Warbird one-shot that is 1000% more interesting than it has any right to be, a Dark Iceman story that is curiously somber and rooted in relationships, and an earnest and hilarious Wolverine/Gambit adventure. Liu had these character's voices down so well and plotted terrifically, but maybe sometimes needed just a bit more editorial umph behind her stories, as she got on the Iceman tale spinning out of X-Termination.

Avengers A.I, Vol. 1 and 2: 3/5. A weird little sideline of a series by Humphries that's just odd enough to bear the weight of his offbeat plot and scripting. Humphries is so bad at writing anyone in character (see also: UXF), but having a bunch of blank slates here other than Hank Pym serves him well. The result is like a weird indie version of the Avengers that's about philosophical issues rather than fighting a villain.

Avengers Assemble: The Forgeries of Jealousy: 5/5. Kelly Sue DeConnick goes down swinging with Arana the Spider-Girl and an assist by Warren Ellis. This is such a beautiful Avengers Spotlight sort of rotating cast plus sidekick adventure with perfect artwork and so many great and in-character one-liners. I read it four times in a single day, including once front to back to an 11-month-old baby girl because the female characters are just so terrifically complex (she was transfixed - not always the case). If you've enjoyed DeConnick at all to this point or like smaller, more-character-focused Avengers Adventures this one is for you.

Avengers World, Vol. 1: 5/5. Freaking awesome. Unputdownable. If you were hoping for the Secret Warriors version of Hickman on the main Avengers books you need this now. Every issue was fantastic and even a bit frightening. The perfect companion book to the big ideas run on the main Avengers title. Clearly Hickman originally planned this all for one book (early between-arc issues had this feel), but as his plans accelerated these stories were spun off. It's a good thing.

Indestructible Hulk, Vol. 4: Humanity Bomb: 3.5/5. I don't get the general malaise about Waid's Hulk run - I thought this was another smart collection that made good use of Banner's supporting cast at SHIELD. I suppose this just isn't the Hulk that long-term fans love, but I dig it.

Iron Man, Vol. 4: Iron Metropolitan: 3/5. Not Gillen's best - despite strong artwork, it's a bit thematically repetitive. The Mandarin Rings stuff is smartly done and as always Gillen deftly turns a tie-in on its ear to be awesome with his INH issue.

Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe: 2.5/5. It's a madcap semi-alternate-reality adventure in a similar tone to Deadpool. It's gets a little silly towards the end, but never actually stops being a fun romp along the way.

Marvel Knights: Hulk: 1.5/5. A very beautiful mess. Joe Keatinge delivers what is practically an alt-reality tale that doesn't really do anything to take advantage of the Knights label except for be super-confusing. I found myself glazing on the blah blah blah of it constantly after the first issue, and Piotr Kowalski flawless art didn't hurt. YMMV.

New Avengers, Vol. 3: 2.5/5. Treading Water. We get a tantalizing glimpse at Black Swan's origin, Strange making a terrible deal, and the return of Hickman's Reed Richards' Bridge device, but the actual plot just sort of plods.

Revolutionary War: 2.5/5. I may be grading on a curve here - it was so awesome to see all these Marvel UK characters back in play that I'm willing to forgive some of the shakey plotting here. The overall theme of the story is terrific and makes Marvel UK's history out to be this crazy-awesome thing you want to re-read pronto. Past that, it's a bit of a dropoff. The Motormouth issue is the best - heavy with moody artwork taking advantage of flat colors. The Dark Angel issue is fun, but it feels like a first issue that has no second issue to push it further. Death Head's issue is mostly a running gag about Death's Head and Death's Head II.

Savage Wolverine, Vol. 3: Wrath: 4.5/5. If you like Wolverine but are both tired of his typical adventures and annoyed by the one-dimensional way he's suddenly overprotective of children, this book is for you. A two-parter about Wolvie's anti-poaching efforts is thoughtful even if it biffs some major continuity points. More remarkable is a four-part story set in the Prohibition-era mid-west, where Wolverine is a bootlegger who cares about children but doesn't really know how not to eff everything up. It's gripping and brutal and perhaps the best pre-Adamantium Wolverine story I've ever read. I teared up a little on the bus as I finished it.

Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 6: Goblin Nation: 3.5/5. Slott and Gage end with a bang-up final chapter with strong art. If there's anything to knock the grade down, it's that they had to save so much of the final surprise for the last two issues to avoid spoilers that it all feels a bit rushed. A bit of a let-down when it comes to satisfaction, but taken as a whole this is still a terrific series.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up, Vol. 2: 2.5/5. Yost weirdly doesn't make the most of the long-in-coming Sinister Six developments, turning in a circular story that takes forever to go down the drain despite Marco Checchetto being full of bombast on art. A brief interlude for Inhumanity and a Namor encounter are both fun, but Kevin Shinick's final tales of Daredevil/Punisher and Doc Ock / Green Goblin are a snore (despite beautiful old-school art from Frenz on the latter).

X-Men, Vol. 2: Muertas: 1.5/5. Hot mess. Wood completely gives up on scripting something you can make sense of and Dodson does him no favors. A string of backups by Mann is unspeakably gorgeous but cannot show dynamic action between panels to save its life.

X-Men: X-Termination: 1/5. A miserable mess of an event with terrible art. If you happened to be reading Astonishing X-Men, you can just skip this and keep reading like nothing happened.

Krisis: Reading Marvel Now so you don't have to (unless you really feel like it).
    I disagree on All-New X-factor. I found the art to be very good and different. I like it quite a bit, it runs on PAD's great characterization. The interactions between the characters are golden and while the antagonists haven't been great I like it a lot. But tastes vary.

You have some nice collections ahead of you Krisis. Magneto, X-Force, Ms Marvel, Moon Knight, All-New Ghost rider and quite a bit more. It's a good time for Marvel right now

A quick question for you guys:
    I know that before the forum reboot a lot of people just bookmarked the thread and never read any other threads. But now that we have a entire forum for the topic, how many of you people now venture outside this thread and rrad other threads in the Classics and Collected forum?

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I know that before the forum reboot a lot of people just bookmarked the thread and never read any other threads. But now that we have a entire forum for the topic, how many of you people now venture outside this thread and rrad other threads in the Classics and Collected forum?
    I read almost every thread (maybe 90%)

I look at a lot of the collection topics, though most don't hold my interest beyond the main collection threads. I don't visit any other section in the forum now. I want to, and there are some great discussions to be had, but I got tired of sifting through the "[insert character] appreciation" threads. I'm not very fond of the groupings, but glad the collections are together.
    Last edited by PrankT; 07-25-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Amazing Member

I only read collection threads. And before the reboot I was only reading DC and Marvel Omnibus threads

IST seems to be getting slower and slower. I placed an order on Monday and it still has not shipped yet. I also emailed them a couple days ago and they have yet to respond. My last order was with CGN and I got my books in 5 days. Probably gonna start using them more from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by billabonghotrod View Post
    IST seems to be getting slower and slower. I placed an order on Monday and it still has not shipped yet. I also emailed them a couple days ago and they have yet to respond. My last order was with CGN and I got my books in 5 days. Probably gonna start using them more from now on.
    Curious to know did you order multiple books? Sometimes they might be out of one book and wait a few days for a resupply of it from Diamond.

My last two orders were super quick for one omnibus and one artist edition.