Page 337 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387437837 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Disarming View Post
    If I were to only get one Marvel Omnibus which one is the most essential?
    Essential in what way? Essential in Marvel history? The most entertaining? Most iconic? For me the answer really depends on what you mean.

New Warriors.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Incredible Member

Women of Marvel Omnibus

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Fantastic List, a lot of users have asked about a cosmic reading list and this is quite good. Add in Infinity and it would be complete. I will link this in the OP.
    I left out Infinity because, while grand in scope, it seems to be more of an Avengers/company wide event/Hickman-world thing than necessary Marvel cosmic reading.

I left out Aaron's Thanos Rising because multiple people and reviews have said it messes with past Thanos' continuity and possibly has already been ignored. I suppose if someone really wants to add it to the continuity, you could stick it with the Marvel Now stuff since it's a present-day story that goes into a massive flashback.

Spectacular Member

Speaking of cosmic, why is dnas guardians complete collection out of stock everywhere? Its like a month old and these goons on amazon already have it up at 100 bucks. 2nd print coming im assuming right?

My guess is fewer options than other Marvel properties for interest generated by the film. With Iron Man, Thor, etc there are tons of collections available but with GotG it's pretty much just DnA, the Valentino run (which isn't the team from the film) and the current series.

Incredible Member

^@RIPLynott - I hope so! I couldn't understand that either. I think with GotG becoming a big name now, they underestimated demand (and surely will reprint asap to keep that new revenue coming in).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I left out Infinity because, while grand in scope, it seems to be more of an Avengers/company wide event/Hickman-world thing than necessary Marvel cosmic reading.

I left out Aaron's Thanos Rising because multiple people and reviews have said it messes with past Thanos' continuity and possibly has already been ignored. I suppose if someone really wants to add it to the continuity, you could stick it with the Marvel Now stuff since it's a present-day story that goes into a massive flashback.
    As a Starlin fanboy and Thanos fanatic, I can say that the VAST majority of Aaron's Thanos Rising is completely in continuity and I have disproven (multiple times) folks saying otherwise in this forum as it was coming out. Starlin himself said he was pleased with Aaron's depiction of Thanos's past. I would give examples, but... spoilers. The majority of the people complaining about it seemed to be people only passingly familiar with Thanos who didn't realize that he did start out like a common serial killer. Anywhoo :P

Yeah, I hope we get another printing. It was already back-ordered when I tried to order a couple days before release, but when I saw it locally I decided to wait to see if Amazon's price was much better when it was back in stock. Oops.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    As a Starlin fanboy and Thanos fanatic, I can say that the VAST majority of Aaron's Thanos Rising is completely in continuity and I have disproven (multiple times) folks saying otherwise in this forum as it was coming out. Starlin himself said he was pleased with Aaron's depiction of Thanos's past. I would give examples, but... spoilers. The majority of the people complaining about it seemed to be people only passingly familiar with Thanos who didn't realize that he did start out like a common serial killer. Anywhoo :P
    So where would you place the book in a reading order? At the front before his first appearance? After Annihilators: Earthfall? In the Marvel NOW mix?

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    So where would you place the book in a reading order? At the front before his first appearance? After Annihilators: Earthfall? In the Marvel NOW mix?
    Isn't it set in present time, possibly even during or just before Infinity? Most of the story is told in flashbacks, but it ends at the present. So Marvel Now would be the right place... Also Infinity is definitely a Marvel cosmic story, even if it spins out of Avengers. A whole bunch of alien races + The Avengers, at war with the Builders, with some Thanos on the side.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    The book is very polarizing, and honestly I can see why. It is not exactly straight forward and repeated readings reveal more layers like an onion. I still notice something new every time I read it and I've been through it at least 5 times now. If you read it as a straight forward comic book you're guaranteed to be disappointed because the entire point of it is hidden between words. I'd post specifics and examples, but I don't want to upset anybody by posting spoilers so generalities will have to do for now. There are plenty of excellent reviews and analyses floating around outside of this thread though
    I would be more than happy to read those specifics and examples, as I'm sure some others here would also. Just put the SPOIL quotes at the beginning and end of your writeup and in that way it will be unreadable for everyone who doesn't want to know bar those who click on the "SPOILERS" section

likeso:
    spoilers:
    Thanos by Starlin
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

That's a toughie. However, if I was cornered in the room and had to make a choice, it would have to be Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1 by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. That's where Marvel really hit the jackpot with Amazing Fantasy #15 - the origin of Spider-Man.

One just needs to read the writeup for the Omnibus:

In 1962, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko gave birth to one of the most-enduring icons in American popular media: the one and only Amazing Spider-Man! Turning the concept of a super hero on its head, they imbued the young, guilt-ridden Peter Parker with the fantastic powers of an arachnid and the fantastic pressures of an everyday teenager. The combination was pure magic during the course of 40 issues of web-slinging, wisecracking wonderment Lee and Ditko built the foundation for 45 years of Spidey spectaculars - girl trouble; bill trouble; bully trouble; the Daily Bugle; and a cast friends, family and, of course, supervillains unlike any other!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Royale View Post
    I've been considering buying the x-men and uncanny x-men masterworks in paperback but the uncanny x-men masterworks TPB haven't been updated since 2012. Have they been discontinued?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    They have not, but bear in mind the TPB Masterworks are released in the exact same order the hardcovers were, and it's my understanding 'Uncanny X-Men' hasn't been a line that has moved particularly fast, especially in later years.
    Yeah, if they keep releasing softcovers one per month, Uncanny X-Men Masterworks vol. 6 will be out in June 2016. You don't even want to know how long you'd have to wait for vol. 7.

Which is why I hope X-Men Epic Collection will take off so I can dump the Masterworks. But as Marvel seems to keep one per month schedule for Epics too, that one also will take longer than I'd want.

That's a tough question. I'd say it depends on if you're a modern comic fan or if you're interested in the vast history of Marvel's catalogue. I'd personally just pick a character you're really into and find an omni that highlights that. My first omni was the Brubaker Cap and it was awesome.

Pick something with critical acclaim and if is about to be scarce, then snatch it up!