Page 461 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471511561961 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,915 of 17378
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    But no one is just buying the NA book. Anyone buying that will also have the Infinity and Avengers books so I don't see the problem. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
    The point is that there is literally NO reason to put those issues in there. It's a waste. They are not meant to be read by themselves and are already in the Infinity OHC. It would be like sticking Avengers VS X-Men issues 2, 5, and 8 at the end of an X-Men OHC randomly. It's THAT stupid and there is no reason to do it. They can't be read by themselves these are not normal tie-ins, they're inseparable from the event, it's wasted paper and space and potential. As mentioned above, Marvel understood this when they separated out the Battle of the Atom issues. Why they aren't doing it here is just mind-boggling levels of stupidity when they've already demonstrated basic competence in removing the BotA issues. They could have just given us the next three issues after Infinity, but now we have all that wasted paper and the book won't make any sense. It's retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Rock View Post
    I would consider buying just the NA book, I've read the first volume of both the Avengers and New Avengers, and thought the Avengers was boring and dumb, but really liked NA.
    What I meant was that no one would buy NA without having exposure to the rest of Hickman Avengers. The story makes increasingly less sense without the other Avengers issues so its probably a very small to non existent group of people just buying NA without having read avengers or at least Infinity.

Amazing Member

Can anyone tell me if Marvel OHCs have sewn or glued binding? Was thinking about getting the Waid Daredevil OHCs but didn't know if I should wait for the omnibus in the event they were glued.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    The point is that there is literally NO reason to put those issues in there. It's a waste. They are not meant to be read by themselves and are already in the Infinity OHC. It would be like sticking Avengers VS X-Men issues 2, 5, and 8 at the end of an X-Men OHC randomly. It's THAT stupid and there is no reason to do it. They can't be read by themselves these are not normal tie-ins, they're inseparable from the event, it's wasted paper and space and potential. As mentioned above, Marvel understood this when they separated out the Battle of the Atom issues. Why they aren't doing it here is just mind-boggling levels of stupidity when they've already demonstrated basic competence in removing the BotA issues. They could have just given us the next three issues after Infinity, but now we have all that wasted paper and the book won't make any sense. It's retarded.
    I don't think it's that stupid and I'm of two minds about it. One the one hand - yes, you're right. The issues themselves are inseparable from the event and it would have been nice to get the issues the followed the event. More bang for your buck. On the other hand - you can be sure that another group of people would be upset because while they know what's going on in Infinity and Avengers they only want NA and would be missing issues from their collection. Look at Jon Rock's post above for an example. Or people would be annoyed that in order to read the run of NA they have to switch books half way through.

It's annoying for some people but it's hardly the massively stupid choice you're claiming in my opinion.

C'mon that whole Hickman Avengers is going to a nice chronological Omnibus. Just be patient.

So, if Volume 3s become a thing (fingers crossed) just for kicks, since marvel is impossible to predict:

Fantastic Four v1 2005 -> FFv2 2007 -> FFv3 2015

Amazing Spider-Man v1 2007 -> ASMv2 2012 -> ASMv3 2018?

Uncanny X-Men v1 2006 -> UXM v2 2014 -> UXM v3 2020
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Byrne actually switched to a less dated writing style in the other half of his run - he mostly cut out the captions and the thought balloons and let the dialogue and pictures tell the story alone. This was actually very much ahead of its time for a mainstream '80s comic, so I think maybe he agreed with you that the first half of the run was too old-fashioned. I agree the Michelinie Iron Man makes that style work better because it has that very timely late '70s style, so it doesn't matter that it feels like a period piece, it's supposed to.

Speaking of Fantastic Four, I'm glad we're getting a third Lee/Kirby omnibus. So many omnibus collections stall out after 2, but this run really needs 3 to make its full impact.

I normally don't go for the Ross covers but I think this one is amazing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dern View Post
    Can anyone tell me if Marvel OHCs have sewn or glued binding? Was thinking about getting the Waid Daredevil OHCs but didn't know if I should wait for the omnibus in the event they were glued.
    99% sure they are sewn.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    99% sure they are sewn.
    The DD OHC's are sewn, I have all 3 and they are great.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    It's teenage Emma's growth into adulthood told over eighteen issues. Basically her father's a massive, massive corporate ******* who doesn't care for anyone in her family so she ends up running away. This is around the same time Marvel were pushing for more and more teen-centric titles, e.g. Runaways the year after this was published. I read it last year and I definitely recommend it, although if you're looking for "Emma in the Hellfire Club" or "Emma with the X-Men", this isn't it. The art's pretty neat too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    Anyone know if that run's any good? I liked what they were doing with the character at the time in the core X-titles.

I just read it in one sitting and it was much better than I expected. A/B/R's summary is pretty spot on, it shows the growth of her powers and her becoming nomadic and closed off which was really good. It's quite teen drama-y but I kind of preferred that to the usual oh look the hero is in spandex by page 15 origin story.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I normally don't go for the Ross covers but I think this one is amazing.
    This and the cover for The Avengers vol. 2 are both covers originally done as 75th Anniversary variant covers. They work quite nicely indeed.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    EDIT: Not to mention that the Avengers OHC is once again orphaning issues 14 and 15... so damn lame. Why are you butchering the collected editions of this run Marvel? Isn't Hickman supposed to be one of your primary authors?
    Avengers 14 and 15 were in the Infinity OHC, it was 12 and 13 that were in the 3rd PHC with the Infinity prelude issues. They actually set up Avengers Vol. 1 perfectly. I just wonder if Vol. 2 will just be 14-23 which is already in OHC.

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson2099 View Post
    Avengers 14 and 15 were in the Infinity OHC, it was 12 and 13 that were in the 3rd PHC with the Infinity prelude issues. They actually set up Avengers Vol. 1 perfectly. I just wonder if Vol. 2 will just be 14-23 which is already in OHC.
    Well, if they do that and line it up perfectly, then you could always skip Avengers OHC #2, if you have Infinity OHC already, yeah? I just wonder now: (A) How long before volumes come out, since they're way ahead on singles and trades for these series, and (B) how far they plan on going in OHC? Will they OHC Hickman's entire run on both titles in OHC? I mean, he's not even done yet, but looks like it'll be ending in about a year from now. These are not nice short runs like the Uncanny Avengers that would make a tidy omnibus. If they want to do that, you're talking multiple volumes, etc... I hope regardless of whether they omnibus these two runs, that they at least keep the OHCs going for the duration. Have to wait and see on that.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Rock View Post
    I've read the first volume of both the Avengers and New Avengers, and thought the Avengers was boring and dumb, but really liked NA.
    I felt the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I don't ever intend to sell it (Ultimates)because it's a story I truly love.

I agree. I only sold to get the OHCs. I don't want to let go of the story, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Correct me if i’m wrong but the only omnibus with a 3rd volume was Tomb of Dracula and Mr Marvel guys, guess what.. it’s OOP!

Brubaker's Captain America (Cap Lives is technically Vol. 3). You could probably make an argument that Uncanny X-Men has more than three volumes although they haven't collected a proper volume 3.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Fantastic Four volume 3 isn't up on Amazon UK yet. As soon as it is, that'll get a pre-order.

Really hope this leads to a Thor vol. 3, featuring the Ego/Galactus/Warlock stuff

Based on the issues within, and the feeling that it will get omni'ed, I have now cancelled my Hickman OHCs.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God